June 06, 2024, 06:35:09 PM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1788528 times)

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #11265 on: April 21, 2010, 07:17:40 PM »
Alex, I don't understand why Comcast has taken so long for you to put up more HD channels like TWC.  I've had TWC HD for two years either by Time Warner Cable when I was in NY or by DirecTV in WV now.  I see all these ads portraying who has the most HD channels, and I'm really starting to wonder what's really true. :thinking:
Patrick, even you haven't seen the worst of it when it comes to those HD ads. I can't tell you how many ads Comcast airs claiming they have more [HD] content and programming than InDirecTV... and there appears to be a fierce battle between InDirecTV and Dish on that same subject. I've only had [HD] channels technically for two months now... but the setup I have on it may be causing me problems.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11266 on: April 21, 2010, 07:20:19 PM »
I have at least 75-100 HD channels at my dad's house. I don't have any here because my box here is way too old (made in 2000) to support HD channels, plus I have no HDTVs yet either.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #11267 on: April 21, 2010, 07:21:41 PM »
Alex, I don't understand why Comcast has taken so long for you to put up more HD channels like TWC.  I've had TWC HD for two years either by Time Warner Cable when I was in NY or by DirecTV in WV now.  I see all these ads portraying who has the most HD channels, and I'm really starting to wonder what's really true. :thinking:
Patrick, even you haven't seen the worst of it when it comes to those HD ads. I can't tell you how many ads Comcast airs claiming they have more [HD] content and programming than InDirecTV... and there appears to be a fierce battle between InDirecTV and Dish on that same subject. I've only had [HD] channels technically for two months now... but the setup I have on it may be causing me problems.
Aaron, just be happy that you have HD because if I had cable, not satellite, I wouldn't have been able to post all those HD LFs I have on my channel, so maybe "InDirecTV" isn't so "indirect" at all. This is one of the reasons I loathe Bright House, less than 50 HD channels in their lineup here. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 07:25:13 PM by Zach »
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #11268 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:23 PM »
lol "InDirecTV" :rofl2:

win.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #11269 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:40 PM »
DirecTV - To Tell the Truth commercial, part deux

Never mind the fact I'm a big fan of this commercial run....

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #11270 on: April 21, 2010, 07:27:22 PM »
lol "InDirecTV" :rofl2:

win.
I should also say I loathe DirecTV. Come on, just Dish, BHN, and DirecTV here? <_<

I soooo can't wait for FiOS.

Also, Comcast is in my area, but just not my neighborhood and they're just like BHN with HD here. :(
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #11271 on: April 21, 2010, 07:44:21 PM »
Aaron, just be happy that you have HD because if I had cable, not satellite, I wouldn't have been able to post all those HD LFs I have on my channel, so maybe "InDirecTV" isn't so "indirect" at all. This is one of the reasons I loathe Bright House, less than 50 HD channels in their lineup here. :rolleyes:

I only have 52 via Comcast here and I know it's been at least 2 years since the last few of those 52 were added. What a bunch of liars.  <_<

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11272 on: April 21, 2010, 07:49:19 PM »
Cable companies have a difficult time getting HD channels. They have to upgrade a lot of equipment and infrastructure to increase capacity to get to these channels. Remote or non central areas get pushed off commonly. TWC is usually the last of many HD channels to add because there is little demand for it and it actually has no local wx data which increases complaints to local cable companies.

Satellite companies have it easy. Need more capacity? Launch a new satellite. Their current infrastructure can not be beat by any cabled (including FIOS/UVERSE) company for HD channels.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #11273 on: April 21, 2010, 08:12:32 PM »
Rummaging through my picture albums from the past couple of months, picking out sun pictures, I found a couple more interesting ones

This pic was taken on St Patrick's day... when from the exact spot where I stand to take the pictures, the sun appeared to be shining directly through the State Capitol. I know the picture is not the best, but the capitol is almost 3/4 of a mile from Sparrow :P

And here's another peaceful one...
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #11274 on: April 21, 2010, 08:19:44 PM »
I remember you posting these pics here last year.nice shots..

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11275 on: April 21, 2010, 08:24:26 PM »
Thanks for the information about the cable/satellite debate above.  I've learned a lot already about the differences between the two, and I'll definitely be using it when I someday move and make a decision for myself.

In regards to the pictures Aaron just posted, I sure see a lot of contrails in that second shot.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #11276 on: April 21, 2010, 11:48:14 PM »
I just made the switch to Google Chrome. A friend of mine from Graphic Design class told me I should switch browsers because he thinks Firefox is just too slow. IVC also switched most of the Business Lab and Computer Lab internet browsers to Chrome. I'm glad I made the switch, because it looks much cleaner now.  :yes:

So I went from SeaMonkey > Firefox > Chrome ....in less than a month. lol
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #11277 on: April 22, 2010, 12:36:47 AM »
I just made the switch to Google Chrome. A friend of mine from Graphic Design class told me I should switch browsers because he thinks Firefox is just too slow. IVC also switched most of the Business Lab and Computer Lab internet browsers to Chrome. I'm glad I made the switch, because it looks much cleaner now.  :yes:

So I went from SeaMonkey > Firefox > Chrome ....in less than a month. lol
Yes!! Chrome is sweeet! You can get the critical add ons you need (like add blocking) and still have a light weight, fast browser. Glad you made the switch

Fun Facts:
Browser Stats for TWC Today:
39.64% Internet Explorer
33.76% Firefox
12.52% Chrome
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 12:39:25 AM by Martin »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #11278 on: April 22, 2010, 06:33:38 AM »
Hey Martin, Jen and Mike gave you a little shout-out this morning at around 6:30 Central Time this morning on YWT. They had the camera panned to Norfolk. I'm sure you're used to this, because you're good friends with them all. But I just wanted to let you know that they did. How cool is that?!  B)
WOW! Aww that was soo nice of them :) Thanks for pointing that out. Gave me a chance to clip the video.

Gotta love Comcast, they ended up not adding TWC HD to my system.  :censored:

Edit: Just got off the phone with Comcast and they told me "we see no records of any new HD channels being added for today (4/21) sorry for the inconvenience this problem may have caused"

& get this, Why send a notification bill specifically stating HD channels would be added if it's not in the computer system? I'm flipping mad
Are these channels that other areas have and your area is just waiting for upgrades to get it? Sorry to hear that. Its a common thing for these upgrades to get delayed. In my area some remote counties took nearly a year. I always found those little notices on the bills were just a clever way to get folks to shut up and stop complaining. Really crappy of them

First wave of the "Analog Crunch was 3/11 and the second wave was 4/7" = DTA's are going out like hotcakes.

Cities like Andover, Attleboro, Avon, Bridgewater, Brockton, Dighton, East Bridgewater, Easton, Georgetown, Groveland, Hanson, Haverhill, Holbrook, Lawrence, Mansfield, Methuen, North Andover, North Attleboro, North Reading, Norton, Raynham, Rehoboth, Seekonk, Somerset, Stoughton, Swansea, Taunton, West Bridgewater & Whitman got TWC HD no problem on December 21st.

First Wave of expected HD Adds was on 3/25 "Added no problems 16 HD's" but when it comes to the huge 2nd wave "38 HD Channels" they complained the HD's weren't scheduled in their computer.

Also on their so called list MLB HD (which i got 3/25) is scheduled to be added June 1st  :wacko:

Finally because i live closer to Providence alot of people i met at the Comcast local office were heated at the fact WBZ-DT & WHDH-DT (Boston Affiliates NBC & CBS) were supposed to be added too but "Comcast" had no answer for them.

Here's the April affected customers in mass Dartmouth, Fairhaven, Fall River, Freetown, Lakeville, Marion, Mattapoisset, Middleboro, New Bedford, Wareham.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 06:47:33 AM by Gt1racer47HD »

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11279 on: April 22, 2010, 11:28:38 AM »
Fun Facts:
Browser Stats for TWC Today:
39.64% Internet Explorer
33.76% Firefox
12.52% Chrome
Where'd you get that info? Is that something that's only in the admin panel?