June 07, 2024, 04:02:28 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1789318 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #10680 on: September 09, 2009, 11:27:48 PM »
I absolutely LOVE my slingbox. The only tricky part about the setup was setting up the slingbox with a static IP on my router and port forwarding the stream ports to its IP. At first I had it setup only with port forward but then it would change IPs on me and stop working but now that it has a static IP it's great! Now if the iPhone app would allow me to use it on 3G, darn you AT&T!!!
Jailbreak would fix that :P

I have a SlingBox Pro HD and Slingbox Tuner. Work great! Love my HD. The quality looks amazing. They do a great job at compression. The HD Pro is quite expensive but if you have the money to spend get it. You wont regret purchasing it.

Ive never had a problem with the slingplayer software or hardware. I have been a beta tester of the 2.0 software for over a year. Its been incredibly stable (though resource hogging) from my experience. I much prefer my slingbox for watching tv on my computers. I have SageTV on my file server(sorta like slingbox but uses your TV tuner) and its a bit clunky.  I just use it for TWC recordings.

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #10681 on: September 10, 2009, 07:39:57 AM »
I absolutely LOVE my slingbox. The only tricky part about the setup was setting up the slingbox with a static IP on my router and port forwarding the stream ports to its IP. At first I had it setup only with port forward but then it would change IPs on me and stop working but now that it has a static IP it's great! Now if the iPhone app would allow me to use it on 3G, darn you AT&T!!!
Jailbreak would fix that :P

Yea, I looked into the Jailbreak that would trick apps into thinking they are on WiFi but I don't know if they work on the 3GS yet plus I just updated to the new 3.1 software yesterday.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #10682 on: September 10, 2009, 07:14:29 PM »
So, I took a visit to my counselor, and discussed my educational plans. I did tell her that my major is journalism. Some things have come up to the fact that my college has a journalism program. I started to think...if I graduated early, I would leave this ghetto land and return to my hometown sooner! So, I now switched majors, and will pursue an A.S. in Journalism.  :itsok:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #10683 on: September 11, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »
A lot of you have noticed that the logo is still in the red, white, and blue. It is still this way because today is the 8th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, and today is a day of remembrance. It was 100% intentional.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #10684 on: September 11, 2009, 11:14:29 AM »
A lot of you have noticed that the logo is still in the red, white, and blue. It is still this way because today is the 8th anniversary of the September 11th attacks, and today is a day of remembrance. It was 100% intentional.
:clap:  Thank You.

God Bless the USA-- Take some time to remember those who lost their lives, and the brave men and women who fought/and are still fighting for our country. 

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #10685 on: September 11, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
Very sad it's already been 8 years since these tragedies happened may those lost rest in peace. :cry3:

CNN is broadcasting the memorial services on here

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=stream2&iref=lb100

Offline kpetree10

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • HD WxStar ID #: 99910
  • SD Channel #: 15
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23277
« Reply #10686 on: September 11, 2009, 12:26:03 PM »
9/11 is one of those days that you will always remember exactly where you were when you heard the news. I remember I was in my 6th grade homeroom near the back corner. Of course at the time I really didn't understand the magnitude of what was going on.

I found this thing on the Internet Archive that has ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN, and BBC's coverage of 9/11 events from 8:30AM on the 11th till 8:30PM on the 13th. Since quite a few of us didn't see what happened or were too young to understand it's interesting to see the events as they unfolded, however quite eery.

http://www.archive.org/details/sept_11_tv_archive

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #10687 on: September 11, 2009, 12:53:42 PM »
I was actually in 3rd grade at the time, and remember it quite well. I walked to school early, and I got to school around 8 AM, around the time (I think) the 2nd tour was struck. My teacher had the TV on NBC. I was the only other person in the room at the time. It was on the news constantly, in fact it seemed as though the terrorist attacks were all that were on the news for quite some time. I will admit it was with good reason, but I quickly grew tired of hearing about it.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 5367
« Reply #10688 on: September 11, 2009, 01:11:13 PM »

Jesskitty, you are so awesome. I thank you.

At first I didnt know why it was up there still...but yesterday I just realized it.

It was 6 AM my time on 9/11 and me and my older sister were home alone. I was in the 6th grade and My sister had the TV on the whole time, on one of my hometown's local news stations. I got to school and it was certainly a hot topic. Even my history teacher had the news on, until I started to realize that it was tragic, and that my history teacher's father lives in NYC and is a fireman. I still don't know if he's still alive today.
I am very sad to see all this happen, and I pay so much respect to our heroes, and the victims that couldn't make it. Every year when I meet new people, I hear stories about 9/11, including the time in 8th grade when my Algebra teacher lost all her four friends during the attacks. It was hard for her to tell the story.  :itsok:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #10689 on: September 11, 2009, 02:57:26 PM »
It was on the news constantly, in fact it seemed as though the terrorist attacks were all that were on the news for quite some time. I will admit it was with good reason, but I quickly grew tired of hearing about it.
Same here.

I was in 4th grade, but I didn't hear about the attacks until I came home around 4:30 that afternoon.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #10690 on: September 11, 2009, 02:58:27 PM »
9/11 is one of those days that you will always remember exactly where you were when you heard the news. I remember I was in my 6th grade homeroom near the back corner. Of course at the time I really didn't understand the magnitude of what was going on.

I found this thing on the Internet Archive that has ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, CNN, and BBC's coverage of 9/11 events from 8:30AM on the 11th till 8:30PM on the 13th. Since quite a few of us didn't see what happened or were too young to understand it's interesting to see the events as they unfolded, however quite eery.

http://www.archive.org/details/sept_11_tv_archive

Thank you for posting.

Alexandra Steele is featured in ABC's 8:30 segment doing weather for ABC7 in Washington

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #10691 on: September 11, 2009, 03:11:04 PM »
I haven't heard about the 9/11 until I came home. Very sad and tragic day indeed because before 9/11 you'd see the Twin Towers as part of the NYC skyline whenever entering NYC from the GSP or NJ Turnpike. Now it's gone, and the skyline has changed forever. The new WTC tower will never replace the old one, I mean the "Freedom" tower is just one ugly looking eyesore IMO. The Twin Towers were both identical, tall, popular, had a lot of history such as a tightrope act in '74. Heck, they even stood up with minor damage after the 1993 bombing. They had many many features besides offices such as the underground mall, Windows on the World restaurant, Top of the World observatory. Being a former New Yorker myself, there was really another world inside the bustling towers. The last time I went there was back in July of 01' but we were so tired back then from our Statue of Liberty visit that we just went around the complex. It's really ashamed that the complex and towers would be gone in less than 2 months after July. Besides 06, summer 01 was my second favourite summer ever. Anyways, I offer my prayers and condolences to everyone who had loved ones and friends who perished in the attacks.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 03:18:31 PM by Localonthe8s »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #10692 on: September 11, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
I still remember that morning of 9/11 well:  I was in my first semester at Penn State, and I was literally waking up to the sound of my roommate turning on his TV to watch the news.  When I asked him why he was watching the news so early, he told me that the first tower had been struck by a plane.  This news made me thought that I was having a bad dream as I was not fully awake yet.  So, I actually went back to sleep thinking that I would later wake up out of this nightmare.  About 15 minutes later, my roommate woke me up and told me that the second tower got struck.  That update jolted me awake as I suddenly realized it was all not a dream. :(  My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone affected by what happened 8 years ago on this day.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10693 on: September 11, 2009, 04:00:50 PM »
I was only in 1st grade and I didn't even know what was going on. :(
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Jonathan

• View Profile
    • Jonathan Thornton
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #10694 on: September 11, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
I was a kindergartener at the time (how much everything's changed, now that I think about it)...and I didn't REALLY know what was happening until the next few days...it came to me slowly. My mom says (she is a teacher's aide) that every teacher had the TV on in their room...but I can't remember if my teacher did or not. I did know when I saw those red graphics on NBC, they were doing a special report which normally meant something bad was happening or some guy (that I later learned was the president ;)) wanted to talk to us. I decided since there was smoke coming from buildings that it was the former of those two, and then all of a sudden, one of the buildings disappeared in a cloud, and even though we weren't really old enough to understand what was going on, I knew by the teachers' faces that this *was* bad. Then we went home, and the special report was still on. Then I asked my mom what was going on and she told me some big important buildings fell. Only later did I realize the true horror that this must have been, but now I realize completely what happened.

Today, our school showed a 9/11 video after the daily announcements on TV. More than half of the eighth graders didn't even get to see it. <_<

God bless America and may those lost in this event rest in peace. :(