April 28, 2024, 10:51:36 AM

Author Topic: The Front Porch  (Read 1770968 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: The Front Porch
« Reply #14310 on: July 11, 2012, 04:44:10 AM »
Folks, I've had a chat with Martin recently about some things, and I think all of you need to start doing a far better job of using the PM system and the "report post" features to note problems.  I've been getting way too much volume of issues through other means in the past months, and some of it has been completely unrelated to forum matters.  Furthermore, none of the other moderators or administrators have even been made aware of any problems as most of you have only told me about them.  Thus, I'm asking for a change in that regard.

If you have a concern with anything about the forum, please make sure to PM all of us in the team or report a bad post using the features provided.  I cannot answer every single matter, and you all need to show some patience as we all have busy lives.  Someone will handle your issue eventually when we are free to do so.  This post was recommended by Martin for me to share with everyone so that I don't overwork myself anymore that I have been doing lately.  I have my own life to live as a meteorologist as well, which has been really stressful if you've seen my area in the last couple weeks.  Thanks for your help here! B)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #14311 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:00 PM »
The way you explained it, it seems like you need WAY more moderators :blink:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14312 on: July 11, 2012, 01:47:50 PM »
The way you explained it, it seems like you need WAY more moderators :blink:
Actually, the reality is that some members here need to stop thinking I'm the only resource they can trust.  Andy has finished training as a moderator and is already performing his duties.  Matt and Martin have indicated they will continue to help out when they have free time.  We will deal with the other mods and admins when we have time to talk with them.  Furthermore, some of the complaints I've received over the past months have been way too trivial to the point where it's just pure complaining in general.  That fact alone made the other mods and admins more upset than anything.  Major forum issues are perfectly fine to report, but non-forum issues and trivial items just need to be let go or solved on your own.

When some of you become adults, you're going to learn the hard way that you need to be able to solve problems independently.  You're also going to learn that people frown upon those who constantly complain or ask for pity.  I don't mind giving small advice to help you all on an occasion, but I cannot be expected to answer every question or perform every action.  I worry that some of you have developed this mindset toward me, and it needs to be changed right now.  Lastly, Martin is upset at how some of you just complain about TWC repeatedly on what's meant to be a "fan forum" of the current state of TWC.  He wants to see far less complaining about it from here on out, or he's going to take a lot more action in the near future.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14313 on: July 11, 2012, 03:14:40 PM »
He wants to see far less complaining about it from here on out, or he's going to take a lot more action in the near future.

This statement worries me.  Does it mean that "fans" aren't allowed to have complaints about the current direction of the network?  Or, let me phrase it another way... Are "fans" supposed to be those who support the network in its current incarnation without longing for a return to how it was pre-NBC?  I used to be a fan of The Weather Channel, but I'm sure as heck not a fan now that it's turned into an entertainment network.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14314 on: July 11, 2012, 03:24:45 PM »
This statement worries me.  Does it mean that "fans" aren't allowed to have complaints about the current direction of the network?  Or, let me phrase it another way... Are "fans" supposed to be those who support the network in its current incarnation without longing for a return to how it was pre-NBC?  I used to be a fan of The Weather Channel, but I'm sure as heck not a fan now that it's turned into an entertainment network.
I'm going to let Martin answer this question when he has a chance so that it's from his words.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14315 on: July 11, 2012, 05:14:42 PM »
Thanks, Patrick! The good news is, I passed!  :dance:
Congrats!! :) I've been thinking about getting mine as well. Do you recommend it?

Absolutely! It is extremely rewarding to be able to fly an airplane (granted you are certified for class and type) whenever you want, just for the heck of it. Keep in mind it will be expensive, although not expensive as my flight training (my pay is 130 an hour once the engine starts). I won't give an exact number, but the cost to get this license was around 14K-16K.   :wacko:
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14316 on: July 11, 2012, 06:05:51 PM »
This afternoon Verizon sent me a weather alert text message to my phone. It was for flash flooding, but I didn't get any other alerts for severe thunderstorm warnings and such. Has this happened to anyone else or do you know why I'm recieving only flash flood alerts? I'm a bit confused about it.  :blink:

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14317 on: July 11, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »
I went up to Dickson, TN to meet up with some other friends that are into tornado sirens and weather (my main hobbies). While we were there, at around midnight, a Severe Thunderstorm Warning was issued for our location. Of course, with all of us being into weather, we ran outside to record the constant CG lightning. We noted slight rotation about 2 miles north of us. None of us were even thinking about CMAS, but there were no alerts ever sent out for the Severe Thunderstorm Warnings. We went inside, and we saw a Flash Flood Warning pop up in the NWS Chat (by far the quickest way to get warnings). Within about 5-10 seconds, we hear the EAS attention signal playing in the pattern of 3 on, 1 off, repeating for about 5 times. We were all confused...we thought it was some kind of EAS alert playing from a hidden radio or something. One of our friends from Central Georgia was there, and he pulled out his phone (Verizon Android) to reveal the message "CMAS ALERT - Flash Flood Warning for this location until 4:15 AM CT". Again, no Severe Thunderstorm Warning CMAS, only Flash Flood Warning. o_O I don't know what was stranger: the tone they picked, or the lack of warning for the Severe Thunderstorm Warning. I do have to say that I was VERY impressed with the quickness of the warning being sent out. It is rumored that the iPhone will allow CMAS messages for iOS 6.

Sorry for the long message, I got carried away a little bit :blushing:

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14318 on: July 11, 2012, 06:55:28 PM »
My phone is a Samsung Brightside (Basic Phone). I was told that I'd never get the CMAS messages, but I did. So have other family members who have the phone. It doesn't use Android, either. I'm a bit concerned about it not sending SVR-TSTM warnings as there were many today. The way they programmed the system is a bit strange if they don't transmit SVR TSTM and such.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14319 on: July 11, 2012, 07:21:39 PM »
I just did some research, and the only weather-related messages that are to be sent out are Tornado Warnings and Flash Flood Warnings. Apparently, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings are "non-life threatening". That's not necessarily the case, if you ask me.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14320 on: July 11, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
I just did some research, and the only weather-related messages that are to be sent out are Tornado Warnings and Flash Flood Warnings. Apparently, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings are "non-life threatening". That's not necessarily the case, if you ask me.
I don't totally agree with what they're doing, but I guess logical people when they hear thunder will go inside anyway or when it starts raining. Meh, oh well. I still have TWC's svr tstorm text service set up.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #14321 on: July 11, 2012, 08:11:54 PM »
The text messages don't cost anything, fyi.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14322 on: July 11, 2012, 09:08:10 PM »
I, as of about an hour ago, am beta testing iOS 6. On iOS 6, if you go to Settings>Notifications you can scroll down and find a section called "Government Alerts". From there you can turn off AMBER Alerts, Emergency Alerts, or both. I think Apple should have added a question mark icon next to that to provide more insight on to what exactly that is, because I have seen many posts on other forums from people asking why these messages are coming up o_O

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528088_2265598974928_1480574170_n.jpg
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 04:34:55 PM by phw115wvwx »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14323 on: July 12, 2012, 04:37:25 PM »
I, as of about an hour ago, am beta testing iOS 6. On iOS 6, if you go to Settings>Notifications you can scroll down and find a section called "Government Alerts". From there you can turn off AMBER Alerts, Emergency Alerts, or both. I think Apple should have added a question mark icon next to that to provide more insight on to what exactly that is, because I have seen many posts on other forums from people asking why these messages are coming up o_O

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/528088_2265598974928_1480574170_n.jpg
I made your image a link so that it doesn't take up too much of the screen.  I know there is work going on to make these severe weather alerts and other emergency products easier to be received by cell phones and other wireless devices.  I don't know many details though as it's a project beyond my scope of knowledge.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14324 on: July 12, 2012, 11:12:20 PM »
Good gosh!!! :blink:  Well, the NWS is clearly having problems getting data from the AWOS observation station at Temple, TX (which is about two hours south of Dallas).  Either that, or I feel sorry for the residents of Temple who have seen blistering hot temperatures and below freezing temperatures all in a day. :P  See this link for the error.

And in case NWS fixes the error before you're able to see it live, I've attached a couple of screenshots.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 01:33:25 AM by WeatherWitness »