May 06, 2024, 02:51:23 AM

Author Topic: Storm Chasers Cancelled By Discovery  (Read 1642 times)

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Storm Chasers Cancelled By Discovery
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:12:40 PM »
A sad day for severe weather enthusiasts, but Tim Samaras of Twistex confirmed a few days ago that Discovery will not being doing another season of Storm Chasers. From Tim Samaras' Facebook page:

Being with Discovery has been an incredible experience. Did you know that Discovery is one of the top 100 places to work? My highlight of being with Discovery is when they asked me to volunteer for 'Habitat for Humanity' back in the Fall. There is incredible talent and incredible employees that I've met during my 'tenure' at Discovery. This is a company that really cares for it's employees.

Alas, they have to answer to their shareholders regarding the ratings for their shows they produce. They have to make tough decisions on what shows stay, and shows that have to go. Storm Chasers was a VERY expensive show to put on, and quite frankly, the overall population didn't grasp 'Storm Chasers' as a top show anymore-to be displaced by 'Gold Rush', 'Sons of Guns', and others. As 'weather weenies' we think this is an injustice, but in reality--it's not a big deal to the general population--most folks don't really care about tornadoes unless it affects them directly. Ratings suggested that the midwest absolutely loved the show, but both coasts(population that drives ratings) really didn't care.

There was a production change right in the middle of the show sometime in early May that had affected the show big-time. Personally, I feel the fate of the show was decided last May. There was no advertising, no promotion(Reed didn't go on his promotional road trip), and we wound up with the Sunday slot--competing against Sunday Night Football. We were on Wednesday night a year ago. Why?

I won't comment on the editorial content, as nearly 100% of the viewers have commented accurately. Far too many 'creative liberties' were allowed.

I will comment that TWISTEX--despite the commentator's narration on the final episode--was NOT a failure.

One will never know where myself, Reed and Sean will appear once again. I will say that it was an absolute pleasure to be featured in the show along with such great talent.

Thank you Discovery for three incredible years.

Tim Samaras
Tiddlywinks.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
Re: Storm Chasers Cancelled By Discovery
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:00:36 AM »
is there a chance TWC might pick it up so they have them work with Storm Riders?

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 11:15:17 AM »
is there a chance TWC might pick it up so they have them work with Storm Riders?
Doubtful. In fact I like Storm Riders better than Storm Chasers. More chasing and less arguing.

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 10:10:44 PM »
Oh no.   :no:
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war