April 28, 2024, 02:46:09 PM

Author Topic: NWS website redesign  (Read 13637 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
NWS website redesign
« on: August 15, 2011, 12:27:40 AM »
I was on the NWS website and noticed that they're redesigning. They've posted samples for visitors to look at and comment on. Although there's no place to comment. :thinking: Personally, I think the proposed design stinks. What are your thoughts?

http://www.weather.gov/redesign/
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 12:29:27 AM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: NWS website redesign
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:32:02 AM »
I personally think it looks better than today's design. The new one has a bit more class, and it looks more public friendly than the current version.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 12:39:10 AM »
I am just glad there was not an interactive map. The design is ok and I don't really have too many complaints.The core functionality and interface haven't radically changed too much. Have you seen the design change for the model page though? Now that is something I despise.

Btw in the blue box it says "Submit comments on the proposed design
Open through September 12th , 2011"

http://www.weather.gov/redesign/

phw115wvwx

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 01:43:37 AM »
The text for "Submit comments on the proposed design" is a link, and it will take you here for you to enter your comments:

http://www.weather.gov/survey/nws-survey.php?code=newwebdesign

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 10:26:08 AM »
The text for "Submit comments on the proposed design" is a link, and it will take you here for you to enter your comments:

:pinch: Didn't realize that was a link since it wasn't underlined. :nono: I think the design is really bland. And does the text really need to be that big!? :huh: The current one, though technically "outdated" looks much better in comparison.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2011, 02:41:32 PM »
How are all the local offices going to be able to get the upgrade? The reason I ask is because every office has their own unique layout.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2011, 02:52:37 PM »

:pinch: Didn't realize that was a link since it wasn't underlined. :nono: I think the design is really bland. And does the text really need to be that big!? :huh: The current one, though technically "outdated" looks much better in comparison.

Haha I know I usually look for the underline too!

How are all the local offices going to be able to get the upgrade? The reason I ask is because every office has their own unique layout.

That is an excellent question. I gathered from the link posted that the the forecasts were part of the skin. Patrick was explaining to me how its up to the regional weather offices. They really need to do something with those. The lack of continuity between how each office stores data is horrible. My office has random folders and names for everything. It's very hard to lookup old information

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:37 PM »
That is an excellent question. I gathered from the link posted that the the forecasts were part of the skin. Patrick was explaining to me how its up to the regional weather offices. They really need to do something with those. The lack of continuity between how each office stores data is horrible. My office has random folders and names for everything. It's very hard to lookup old information

Definitely!!! :biggrin: The forecast/current conditions are the same, but you get into real trouble when you want to look at past weather, etc. It can be real tough if you're used to your own office's page. :wacko:

Overall, I am indifferent on this new design. It's not great or terrible. The worst part of the whole thing is going to be getting used to the new feel.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:39:59 PM »
Yeah, I've always hated how all the offices have their own layout, especially those part of the Western Region which has a strange layout compared to the other three regions (not sure why). They all should use the same format to make it easier to navigate. :yes:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 07:18:00 PM »
Yeah, I've always hated how all the offices have their own layout, especially those part of the Western Region which has a strange layout compared to the other three regions (not sure why). They all should use the same format to make it easier to navigate. :yes:

I also hate that, sometimes I don't bother clicking on those regions, I just type in the location I'm looking for so I can go directly to that page.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 07:21:56 PM »
I really wish that the NWS Memphis Office would change their layout to match the NWS Lubbock Office. Notice how Lubbock has a lot of extra features, while Memphis is very bland. Maybe that will change with the new layout.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 11:49:46 PM »
I haven't heard anything yet about whether the regional offices will begin to adopt similar styles or not.  Unless I hear something else later, I don't think the regional differences will go away.

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2011, 10:17:21 PM »
Quite personally, I think it's a much better design. Not that I find anything wrong with the current ones. Sometimes, change is good.

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2011, 10:09:29 PM »
It's okay, no complaints.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 11:16:10 PM »
I know I'm bumping this topic, but the NWS is now officially advertising a preview of their re-designed pages on each of their local pages.  You can click the link found on your local weather page, or visit preview.weather.gov to see it.  (No guys, I'm not going crazy this time. :P)

I personally like the re-design for the local pages, and I think all local pages will look similar now, which is a definite step in the right direction.  I know our original thoughts for the re-design were mostly negative, but now you've got TWC's re-design to compare it to.  Which is better ... ??? :lol: