April 27, 2024, 07:10:01 PM

Author Topic: Needs help with Dell PC.  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Needs help with Dell PC.
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
Okay, so I got my new dell precision and my school has a few of the same model, they have been having a lot of problems. So I was wondering, how can you return your dell PC for a refund? Is this possible?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:48:36 PM by Tyler »

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Needs help with Dell PC.
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:58:22 PM »
Okay, so I got my new dell precision and my school has a few of the same model, they have been having a lot of problems. So I was wondering, how can you return your dell PC for a refund? Is this possible?
would you like to explain what the specific problems? great amounts of detail will help. We could possibly help you out.  If in the end we have to get it sent in for repair under warranty, then we'll go that route.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 11:49:02 PM by Tyler »

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 11:11:43 PM »
Oh my bad, that was rude. The computer just doesn't do the job. It has a Core i3 3.07(dual core-4MB Cache) 4GB (1333Mhz) and 250GB 7500RPM Hard Drive and Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I have a 3 Year Basic warranty. I just want to return it and later purchase a better computer. I just wanted to know if it is a difficult process to return it and if I can do that.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 11:20:45 PM »
Oh my bad, that was rude. The computer just doesn't do the job. It has a Core i3 3.07(dual core-4MB Cache) 4GB (1333Mhz) and 250GB 7500RPM Hard Drive and Windows 7 Pro 64bit. I have a 3 Year Basic warranty. I just want to return it and later purchase a better computer. I just wanted to know if it is a difficult process to return it and if I can do that.
How exactly does it not "do the job?" Also, since you've opened it and everything, they may charge a restocking fee. It's not a difficult process to do so if you know what you're doing.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:01 PM »
How exactly does it not "do the job?" Also, since you've opened it and everything, they may charge a restocking fee. It's not a difficult process to do so if you know what you're doing.
When I play some games it doesn't get that great of performance. I have a 1GB ATI Graphics card i think its 4400 or 4800. Also for some reason, multitasking slows it way down. When I ordered it the specs looked like they could do a good job, but I was disappointed.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 11:50:06 PM »
Rude and racist comments won't be tolerated. I see something like that again and action will most certainly be taken.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2011, 11:53:56 PM »
Rude and racist comments won't be tolerated. I see something like that again and action will most certainly be taken.
Well I apologize. I meant simply people from India that have an accent that I can't understand. I was not trying to offend anyone and if I did, I am sorry for doing so. This will not be a problem anymore.   :dunno:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 12:17:54 AM »
When I play some games it doesn't get that great of performance. I have a 1GB ATI Graphics card i think its 4400 or 4800. Also for some reason, multitasking slows it way down. When I ordered it the specs looked like they could do a good job, but I was disappointed.
It sounds like you didn't do your research. This is what happens when kids your age do impulse buys. I would highly recommend that you look at reviews at tech expert boards and such before making another purchase like this. Dell will most likely take it back, but as I said... They may charge a restocking fee, due to the product having been opened and used, which could be a significant loss to you to make a future purchase, not to mention you adding insurance and such to make sure the package actually ends up in their facility.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 12:23:05 AM »
It sounds like you didn't do your research. This is what happens when kids your age do impulse buys. I would highly recommend that you look at reviews at tech expert boards and such before making another purchase like this. Dell will most likely take it back, but as I said... They may charge a restocking fee, due to the product having been opened and used, which could be a significant loss to you to make a future purchase, not to mention you adding insurance and such to make sure the package actually ends up in their facility.
Okay, Thanks for all of your help. :yes: I know a good amount about pc's, but next time I will do more research.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:14 AM »
They will likely charge a 15% restocking fee and you will have to pay to ship it back. Your problem is the i3 processor. Thats the base of the line. What kind of games are you trying to play anyway?

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2011, 04:27:36 PM »

They will likely charge a 15% restocking fee and you will have to pay to ship it back. Your problem is the i3 processor. Thats the base of the line. What kind of games are you trying to play anyway?
Just games like Railworks now(which requires kind of low specs anyway). I found out the problem was that I only have 3GB of RAM and had no anti virus software and the computer got infected. Gonna upgrade to 6GB ram and The core i3 really isn't bad, although it is baseline.  If I still have problems after that, I will try and return it.

Offline P71nnacle

• Ultimate Member
  • Penn State Alum '10
    • View Profile
    • Rarely used Xanga
  • HD Channel #: 815
  • HD WxStar ID #: ---
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22420
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2011, 06:56:49 PM »
Yea, I'm curious as to how a computer with a 4800 series Radeon can't run Railworks.....I have a 3800 series and a quadcore with 8 GB of RAM and I run Crysis at 1024x768 at 40 fps.....

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2011, 09:12:19 PM »
Yea, I'm curious as to how a computer with a 4800 series Radeon can't run Railworks.....I have a 3800 series and a quadcore with 8 GB of RAM and I run Crysis at 1024x768 at 40 fps.....
Yeah, that was what was making me want to return it.(I got the 1GB Card so I wouldn't have any problems using dual or triple display). Now windows reinstalled and everything is working smoothly, just gotta add in some more RAM.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2011, 11:41:57 PM »
Yeah, that was what was making me want to return it.(I got the 1GB Card so I wouldn't have any problems using dual or triple display). Now windows reinstalled and everything is working smoothly, just gotta add in some more RAM.
More RAM wont make that much of a difference. Certainly for what you are using anyway

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 12:11:27 AM »
More RAM wont make that much of a difference. Certainly for what you are using anyway
Oh, well for having several applications open at once it will help there, but not really in overall performance. I have the Intel H57 chip, which is upgradeable to Core i5 and i7 I believe, so maybe in the future I'll do that. At this point It was kind a budget workstation system.