April 27, 2024, 11:46:17 AM

Author Topic: HELP: Configuring Windows Media Center TV Tuner & WMM for Best Video Quality  (Read 2450 times)

Offline ErnestoAlert

• NOfall.
    • View Profile
My videos continue to look sub-par after editing with WMM. I don't know whether it's the setting I'm exporting with (1.0 Mbps), or if its Media Center's TV Tuner. Can anyone provide help? I've got plenty of hard drive space, and I'm also going to purchase an external hard drive for certain purposes as well...freeing up more space.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2007, 01:13:37 PM by ErnestoAlert »
Matt (ErnestoAlert)

For those interested...my username is derived from Tropical Storm Ernesto's Storm Alert fame. As most know, this was a ridiculous move by The Weather Channel, considering Ernesto was quite weak. The name is intended to be taken in a sarcastic tone.

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Different reasons can apply here, Windows have in general a very poor capture accellerator, no matter what you use (WMC, WMM) you will get a poor video quality and capture rate.

I have had this problem too, use something that isnt made by Windows such as Ulead or whats ever came with your tuner software. Also dont edit using Windows Movie Maker, it reduces quality and frame rates.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
I use WMM and the quality is fine. :huh: :unsure:

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
You have pretty low expectations then.. lol

Offline ErnestoAlert

• NOfall.
    • View Profile
Different reasons can apply here, Windows have in general a very poor capture accellerator, no matter what you use (WMC, WMM) you will get a poor video quality and capture rate.

I have had this problem too, use something that isnt made by Windows such as Ulead or whats ever came with your tuner software. Also dont edit using Windows Movie Maker, it reduces quality and frame rates.

What would you suggest editing with? Also, my tuner did not come with software that I know of...it was directly installed by Dell. I've been looking at SnapStream Beyond TV. DO you have an opinion on this software?

Another factor may be my conversion software. Microsoft, being the idiots they are, built WMC to save files as DVR-MS...but didn't update WMM to accept this file type. I'm using a DVR-MS to MPEG converter...which may decrease quality.
Matt (ErnestoAlert)

For those interested...my username is derived from Tropical Storm Ernesto's Storm Alert fame. As most know, this was a ridiculous move by The Weather Channel, considering Ernesto was quite weak. The name is intended to be taken in a sarcastic tone.

Offline wxmancanada

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
I had software come with my tuner, (same problem WMM not accepting the MPEG) and my file converter makes the quality horrible, download Ulead Video Studio 11, its pretty good for capturing and great for editing MPEGs.