April 27, 2024, 03:19:33 PM

Author Topic: CNN not doing so well  (Read 3041 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
CNN not doing so well
« on: June 08, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
I never thought I'd say this, but you know your network isn't doing well when your ratings are worse than Oprah. Not exactly surprising considering how silly some of their programming is these days (which Jon Stewart occasionally pokes fun at). Like TWC, they seem rather desperate to attract younger viewers.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/worse_than_oprah_bpCcPtIl2isj4gtIPPbaUO
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: CNN not doing so well
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 08:35:29 PM »
Not at all surprising.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:30:35 PM »
I remember reading that their show Erin Burnett OutFront was introduced in October to increase primetime ratings. Look how that turned out (but she's pretty :P).
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:48 AM »
QUICK!! Somebody do something completely ridiculous to make Anderson Cooper giggle again!!

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 11:26:52 PM »
Yikes! I thought they were doing better

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:55 AM »
I still use CNN's website quite a lot, but I never got into their TV network (except when Anderson Cooper is on). It used to be Fox for me before I just dropped them and all TV news networks altogether.

It's disturbing to here that, though. I feel like I'm turning to Colbert and Stewart a lot for at least the big stories. Granted, they are usually biased to one side and the story gets fogged up in their jokes, but still.  :huh:
Tiddlywinks.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
I feel like I'm turning to Colbert and Stewart a lot for at least the big stories. Granted, they are usually biased to one side and the story gets fogged up in their jokes, but still.  :huh:
I used to do that. Now it's more balanced. Or at the very least, I'm using more sources. Wow, what a difference that made! You miss out on so much if that's all you watch (TDS and Colbert).
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 04:25:02 PM »
That's not the only thing I watch, but if I want some serious news, then CNN's website usually does the trick. If that fails, then Aljazeera gains my attention.
Tiddlywinks.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 04:41:04 PM »
Frankly, when it comes to news, the other countries kick our butts.  They do a better job of covering our country's news than we do for ourselves!  CNN has a pretty sharp bias one way, while some others go the other way.  If you really want fair and balanced news, you have to look outside our country.  I've had quite a few international students confirm that for me whenever I asked them during my college years.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 01:35:24 PM »
lol, No wonder CNN is failing, they can't even report accurate news. :lol:

‘Mandate struck down’: ‘Dewey Defeats Truman’ moment for CNN, Fox News

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/ticket/health-care-ruling-scotus-cnn-gaffe-fox-news-154347515.html

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 12:34:46 AM »
Ah well. At least they still have Anderson Cooper, the man who's laugh sounds like he's crapping rainbows and unicorns.  :rofl2:
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2012, 12:44:40 AM »
Friday was the last edition of John King, USA (one of their political shows). I'm guessing they canceled because of low ratings.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2012, 04:39:00 AM »
Ah well. At least they still have Anderson Cooper, the man who's laugh sounds like he's crapping rainbows and unicorns.  :rofl2:

I still remember him from "Channel 1" back in the day (about a quarter century ago)... even before he went prematurely grey.  Lisa Ling and a lot of other prominent (and not quite so prominent) journalists got their start there, too.

:offtopic: alert...

For those who don't know, "Channel 1" is an advertising-supported (big scandal there) 15-minute classroom news program shown in middle and high schools throughout the United States.  My high school was one of the first 5 pilot schools back in 1989.  "Channel 1" pays for all of the necessary equipment (satellite dish, receiver, in-school transmission equipment, and a television for every classroom), as well as equipment for schools to create their own TV studios.  The caviat is that "Channel 1" must be shown every day (occasional exceptions are allowed under extenuating circumstances) - advertising included - and that nothing can take place in the school while it's being shown.  I was the king of the A/V nerds in school, and one of my "jobs" was to rat on teachers who turned the volume down, or, even worse, turned the TV off, so that students didn't have to pay attention.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2012, 04:44:30 AM »
Friday was the last edition of John King, USA (one of their political shows). I'm guessing they canceled because of low ratings.

CNN has a fine line to walk.  If it's too cerebral, people likely won't watch.  (The cerebral set prefers PBS and NPR, anyway.)  Their attempts to recreate the "laid-back glitzy comfort" of Fox News (while toning down the propaganda as much as today's highly charged atmosphere will allow) haven't worked, either... and CNN just looks downright stupid while trying.

Whatever happened to the good old days?  CNN actually focused on real news, and Headline News was just what it said it was - a recap of all the main stories every half-hour.  Now, "HLN" is "cleavage and short skirt" mornings and hyped-up talk shows at night.

With the exception of local news, I just don't watch the news on television anymore.  It appeals to the lowest common denominator now in an attempt to gain extra viewers instead of attempting to inform and educate people about what's happening in the world.