April 27, 2024, 07:33:31 AM

Author Topic: When did you become interested in The Weather Channel?  (Read 6120 times)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
When did you become interested in The Weather Channel?
« on: December 29, 2008, 07:45:05 PM »
So when did you become interested in The Weather Channel? When did it peak your interest or when did you come across it?...

For me, it would be around when Weather Center came into fruition in March of 1998, back when the temperature maps had a different color key, for instance, the 50's weren't depicted by gray, 60's weren't depicted by yellow... they were originally depicted by shades of green. I still don't know why they changed the scheme as I preferred it better. I also, for some reason, remember the radars on the local forecast using shades of blue instead of shades of green. Maybe I was crazy when I was 8-9 years old...

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
Re: When did you become interested in The Weather Channel?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2008, 08:28:13 PM »
I got really interested in TWC in January 2001, I was 8 and the SE was having a big snowstorm. What caught my eye was the XL icons, they look so cartoony to me and the first LF song I heard was "Linus and Lucy" which they played the heck out of it at that time. I also liked the graphics they used then and the Weather Stories/Headlines they did just before the Weekly Planner where they showed where the Jet Stream was and if there would be a disturbance that would travel down it over the next week.They used a green raindrop for a rainstorm and a white snowflake if it was a snowstorm. I also learned a lot of weather facts because of them like what temp. is the freezing point, el nino, la nina etc. I was already curious and interested in the weather and they fueled it even more.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2008, 08:30:55 PM by Weatherlover »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »
I got interested in Twc when I begin watching it in early 2003, but I didn't watch Twc that often until June 2003. In late 2004(maybe September), I unofficaly stop watching TWC, but I came back watching Twc again in December 04. During the mid summer of 2005, I stop watching Twc again until mid September 05. During March and April 2007, I didn't watch Twc that often during those days, then begin to watch Twc often in late April 07. In late 2007, I didn't watch the non-local forecast segment that often .(espically for YWT, because I didn't watch that show due to going on the bus at 6:30 AM, which is nothing special. I didn't watch YWT until there's was a thunderstorm in May 5, 2008. Since June 2, 2008, I begin watching YWT every day and become interested To the show, even through I'm a not of fan of the current verison.) However, in September 2008, I begin to lost insterst on TWC. I'm not sure why, but I only like the first three months of TWHNLB, And I stop being a fan of Twc(I'm still a fan, but only from 1998-2008). That is all.

Offline Darr'chelle

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 70
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 01:40:54 PM »
Felix...there were some radar images with blue for precip.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 10:35:23 PM »
I also, for some reason, remember the radars on the local forecast using shades of blue instead of shades of green. Maybe I was crazy when I was 8-9 years old...
Yeah, IIRC in 1999 they were doing some experiment on using as much blue as possible on their maps. The precip colors on other maps (weekly planner, travel, precip forecast, etc) were also blue. I never understood the point of it, but it was pretty interesting.

I first discovered TWC sometime around 1997, but 1999 was when I started following TWC and watching it often. I watched it heavily that year as we had a lot of severe weather and very hot temperatures that year (almost everyday in July was in the 90's). From 2000-2002 I didn't watch TWC all that much (due to my huge Pokemon interest), and then started watching it again by 2002. I remember my XL was upgraded around early 2002, but it had several glitches, like using the old banner on the regional forecast and a black background on the metro forecasts. This was fixed by the end of the year. 2003 was when I started recording TWC. IMO, TWC started going downhill in late 2006, when the formatting became really unstable and they started using generic "on-the-fly" openers instead of using the show's own graphics. My "golden age" of TWC is from March 1998- Late 2004, but it was still good until early-mid 2007.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 10:42:02 PM by MikeM2010 »

Offline ilovemikebettes

• I ♥ Mike Bettes,the king!
  • Mike Bettes=Awesome!
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2009, 12:47:52 PM »
In 2005,I liked LOT8's,and then in 2006,when we got Comcast,I became extremely interested in weather scan,watched it everyday. Last year,my real intrest began with Abrams and Bettes. :)

Mike Bettes is FOREVER!
I miss you,ThunderFever on YouTube. You will be sorely missed,and many Ryan Farish songs in your honour.

Offline twcfansince99

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2009, 08:10:14 PM »
So when did you become interested in The Weather Channel? When did it peak your interest or when did you come across it?...

For me, it would be around when Weather Center came into fruition in March of 1998, back when the temperature maps had a different color key, for instance, the 50's weren't depicted by gray, 60's weren't depicted by yellow... they were originally depicted by shades of green. I still don't know why they changed the scheme as I preferred it better. I also, for some reason, remember the radars on the local forecast using shades of blue instead of shades of green. Maybe I was crazy when I was 8-9 years old...

You weren't crazy, there was a period in the summer/fall of 1999 when they experimented with blue for the radar maps.  That experiment was far better than any "experiments" they come up with nowadays, like the blah studio they are located in now.

Offline twcfansince99

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2009, 08:15:58 PM »
1998 was when I became interested.  It was the music that originally captured me, but the aura and soap-opera feel of the channel also enthralled me.  My interest waned in 2002 or '03, then picked up in '04, and has been on and off since.  I'm trying to get into it, but it's hard when many of the old favorites are gone, and the channel has become so commercial and mainstream.  1998-2001 was the best period of the channel, in my opinion, but the 2nd Live by It era was pretty good as well.

Offline Thecoolwriter

• View Profile
    • Thecoolwriter's Facebook
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 07:02:05 PM »
I started watching it back in 1998 after hearing the incredible music :yes:

Offline Jae

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 09:44:22 PM »
2005 Hurricane Season. Ever since then.  B) And I must say, it's gone EXTREMELY down hill.

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 02:56:21 AM »
For me, I first discovered TWC like around 1990 or '91 (I still remember watching it back when I was 1 or 2).  :rolleyes:  This was even back when we had cable. Our old cable company used to be UA Cablevison (now Comcast) and back then, TWC used to be located right next to Nickelodeon on channel 36 (Nick in my area is on 35 and still is today). As a little kid, it was even convient to switch back and forth between channels without pressing the channel up or down buttions over and over again until when you find the channel you want to watch (I didn't know how to use a remote until like when I was 7).

Anyways, as a fellow midwestern growing up in a area which tornados pose a threat, I've always been interested with both computers and weather (I even loved watching the weather segment on the local news stations in my area). I even remembered watching TWC on day back in 1991 (I think) and I was only 2 at the time. At the same time, it stormed and I remembered seeing the red warning scrawl on our old WeatherSTAR 3000. Then I noticed that my parents were worried that a tornado might be comming. At our old house, we didn't have a basement or shelter. So, we had to quickly run over to our old neighbors house since they had a basement. I don't remember that much from that day, but I do remember watching TWC before we headed over to our old neighbors house.

Anyways, all throughout the early '90s and up until 2005, me, my step brother, and my dad used to watch TWC alot back then.

I started loosing interest of TWC back in 2005 (shortly before the relaunch). I haven't even watched TWC that much since then. Back when we had cable, I only watched for severe weather. I no longer have cable anymore since Comcast keeps raising the prices and dropping channels. 1990-mid 2005 was my favorite era of TWC, but sadly, those days are over.  :(

I even loved watching the LFs too since I aready loved computers.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Lightning86

• Extreme Weather & LF Graphic Design Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • youtube.com/LightningFever86
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 762
  • SD Channel #: 62
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 05:41:05 PM »
Well, it was December 15, 2003, I was eight years old. It was a very boring afternoon...I was surfing through all of the channels, there was nothing on. Then, I was on The Weather Channel...they were talking about a big snowstorm that's headed for the northeast. So, I became interested in what is about to happen, TWC and NWS predicted 12-18 inches of snow!!! I was very excited, I was watching it for six straight hours as the snow in the radar image came closer and closer every ten minutes(was watching the LOT8's...WeatherStar XL V2). About 24 hours later, the total snowfall was 15 inches! Ever since then, I started watching The Weather Channel every single day up to today!  :dance:

...I also remember that before December 15, 2003, I surfed through channels when I was bored. I always see The Weather Channel...I remember the WeatherStar XL V1 and V2's extended forecast(3 Day Outlook) and seven day forecast segements but it never caught my interest.

TWC fan 12/5/03-4/1/12

Offline Squizz

• Lé Gasp! Lé Squizz!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2009, 08:42:43 PM »
It was either one of these two:

I was on YouTube and for some reason I got intrested into Tornado Sirens. Then it unfolded to the EAS and EBS, then in the related videos, I saw an XL. I started to watch TWC.

I downloaded the WS4k emulator, found it intrested and started watching TWC.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2009, 09:12:18 PM »
My weather background started in January 14, 2003. (Gonna make this short and simple...)

Well, pretty much, I was just flipping the channels and all of the sudden I landed on TWC. Watching Kristina Abernathy and Carl Parker really got boredom out of me because I wanted to know what will happen tomorrow...they said it was showers, and it turned out that it really did rain! So, I was an eager 7th grader wanting to know what will be the forecast. I got really interested in meteorology thanks to TWC. Today, as a college freshman, I am taking science classes and math classes too, and my interest continues in A&B. (I ADORE Stephanie Abrams)
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Lightning86

• Extreme Weather & LF Graphic Design Enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • youtube.com/LightningFever86
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 762
  • SD Channel #: 62
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 05:01:56 PM »
My weather background started in January 14, 2003. (Gonna make this short and simple...)

Well, pretty much, I was just flipping the channels and all of the sudden I landed on TWC. Watching Kristina Abernathy and Carl Parker really got boredom out of me because I wanted to know what will happen tomorrow...they said it was showers, and it turned out that it really did rain! So, I was an eager 7th grader wanting to know what will be the forecast. I got really interested in meteorology thanks to TWC. Today, as a college freshman, I am taking science classes and math classes too, and my interest continues in A&B. (I ADORE Stephanie Abrams)
Hey, we have similar stories, cool!  :)
TWC fan 12/5/03-4/1/12