May 07, 2024, 04:13:26 AM

Author Topic: Has TWC lost its way?  (Read 12403 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Has TWC lost its way?
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2010, 10:30:30 AM »
You should rely more on a NOAA weather radio

Mine's been going crazy with the recent severe thunderstorm and tornado advisories.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2010, 11:43:31 AM »
I never watched TWC when there's a tornado outbreak in my area, I watch my local ABC affiliate mainly because even when TWC did or does severe wx coverage they are covering the whole region or regions affected as they should be, but when your really worrying about what's happening in your neck of the woods and not two or three states away, it's no point in watching them anyway, but I can understand your frustration.
Hurricanes are when TWC really shines since its not as unpredictable and are slower.
Exactly, this is when TWC gets most of their ratings and viewership in one setting.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2010, 12:29:37 PM »
I agree with Martin and Jesse. The topic has been beaten to death. Of course, TWC has lost its way. It did so YEARS ago. The days of being able to rely on TWC to keep you safe during bad weather are long gone. If you still use it during a tornado or a hurricane, you're screwed.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2010, 03:09:47 PM »
I agree with Martin and Jesse. The topic has been beaten to death. Of course, TWC has lost its way. It did so YEARS ago. The days of being able to rely on TWC to keep you safe during bad weather are long gone. If you still use it during a tornado or a hurricane, you're screwed.
Glad someone agrees. We have been whining about the same things over and over again. I think its clear most of us do not like the changes ( but you still watch TWC anyways). TWC doesn't get half the credit they deserve for the good things they do. When it comes straight down to it I agree with Jesse. If it really bothers you so much and you do not like The Weather Channel for what its become,  then stop watching it. Some of the stuff I have seen is crazy. Lets try to appreciate some of the good things about TWC rather than continuously look at the bad things.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2010, 03:57:20 PM »
Okay, yes, I'm disappointed in TWC's lack of coverage during the outbreak last afternoon/evening.  Being in the area and fed Storm Stories, yeah.  Dual-feed was never used.  This would be an ideal time for the STAR to go into some sort of Weatherscan mode that can loop a 2min local with the music on the system or so.

What I'm more pissed about is the double-standard.  They preempted long-form today because the same front is hitting NE.  All I ask is that their preemption policy is uniform.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 04:03:18 PM by tpirfan28 »

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2010, 04:04:11 PM »
They hardly cover stuff on the west coast and seem to try to always avoid Florida. So I'm with you Matt on evening preemtions.
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2010, 04:41:34 PM »
They hardly cover stuff on the west coast and seem to try to always avoid Florida. So I'm with you Matt on evening preemtions.

You're just figuring out how bias TWC is to certain areas? If this tornado outbreak last night had of been happening in Georgia and not over the MW, they wouldn't dare show long form programming.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2010, 04:43:14 PM »
Lets try to appreciate some of the good things about TWC rather than continuously look at the bad things.
Really? Like what? :thinking:
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2010, 05:00:22 PM »

You're just figuring out how bias TWC is to certain areas? If this tornado outbreak last night had of been happening in Georgia and not over the MW, they wouldn't dare show long form programming.
I started realizing that when they didn't show my iWitness stuff, but I didn't want to discuss it until it became a fad around the forum. :hmm:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2010, 09:42:34 PM »

I started realizing that when they didn't show my iWitness stuff, but I didn't want to discuss it until it became a fad around the forum. :hmm:
Probably because it always rains in Florida. It's nothing to get excited over.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2010, 11:13:11 PM »
Lets try to appreciate some of the good things about TWC rather than continuously look at the bad things.
I still enjoy lot of stuff on TWC. Am I the only one? :unsure: I like the local forecasts, tech revolving around it, majority of shows (ie Weather Center, Weekend Now), most of the OCMs, show graphics, etc.

What didn't they show? They show stuff I send in. Sometimes though tornado or storm videos outweigh other submissions   :hmm:
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 11:16:27 PM by Martin »

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 12:36:34 AM »
I still enjoy lot of stuff on TWC. Am I the only one? :unsure: I like the local forecasts, tech revolving around it, majority of shows (ie Weather Center, Weekend Now), most of the OCMs, show graphics, etc.

What didn't they show? They show stuff I send in. Sometimes though tornado or storm videos outweigh other submissions   :hmm:
I am sure The Weather Channel gets bundles of iWitness submissions.  They certainly do not have room for all of them.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 01:57:42 AM »
or they don't have the time to put them on air....

hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline bumwolf

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 03:52:03 AM »
Not just the weather channel.  Most stations if it's the weekend they couldn't give a flip.  We had a tornado outbreak here a few weeks back.  The local news station barely would break in because of the Kentucky Derby coverage.  When college football is going on we are lucky to get a crawl across a part of the screen.  Fortunately the weather channel was giving coverage that afternoon so I was able to see a radar.  Folks who live out in the sticks or on fringe of viewing areas rely on Satellite for coverage and TWC.  At least around here internet and cell coverage is spotty at best.  TWC.com isn't 56k friendly these days.  NOAA weather radio is no replacement for a live look at a Radar.

Another note if a tornado outbreak is going on.  No matter what part of the country I want to see it.  The so called 24/5 news channels aren't going to cover it.  Unless a major politician or celebrity get caught up in it of course.  Lord help us is Britney Spears gets sent to the land of OZ touring Kansas one summer.  Cable/Satellite bills go up quality of programs go down.  This dead horse is officially beaten.

Offline Darr'chelle

• View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 70
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2010, 11:37:53 PM »
Some of the "weather hype" has rubbed off on local TV in the last decade or so. One of my stations' weather departments here is called the "Desert Doppler 15 HD Forecast Center". Really.

That said, this is the reason I want in television: because downward spirals are alarming to me. TWC and all five of the stations here are no exception.

I wish I could go back to 1994 at times. Yeah, the technology sucked a bit, but television news was WAY more interesting.