May 05, 2024, 02:26:45 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1896519 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #9120 on: May 26, 2014, 08:58:17 AM »
I don't know what's wrong with the SD feed here, but all I'm seeing is a black screen with the LDL overlayed on top of it. The HD feed is fine though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 10:08:15 AM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #9121 on: June 01, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
Are they able to determine in the TWC ratings for shows what are actually are coming from the people getting the main feed and people getting storm coverage on the alternate feed?

Have to believe there are may people in the mid west getting storm coverage and not the non weather reality shows.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #9122 on: June 01, 2014, 11:21:26 PM »
Are they able to determine in the TWC ratings for shows what are actually are coming from the people getting the main feed and people getting storm coverage on the alternate feed?

Have to believe there are may people in the mid west getting storm coverage and not the non weather reality shows.

Does the so-called "dual-feed" really exist?  Or is it just a myth? :dunno:  I wish TWC would just show coverage like they should instead of making a decision to pre-empt programming only in certain areas.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #9123 on: June 02, 2014, 12:34:05 AM »
The OCMs have posted when TWC is doing live regional storm coverage.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #9124 on: June 02, 2014, 07:55:17 AM »
There supposedly is a dual-feed for TWC viewers that have cable in an area that severe weather is occurring, but what about the many viewers that have satellite? Since those customers don't see local STARs unlike cable subscribers, I assume they're unable to receive the severe weather coverage. This dual-feed system definitely has some big flaws.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #9125 on: June 02, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »
There supposedly is a dual-feed for TWC viewers that have cable in an area that severe weather is occurring, but what about the many viewers that have satellite? Since those customers don't see local STARs unlike cable subscribers, I assume they're unable to receive the severe weather coverage. This dual-feed system definitely has some big flaws.

Not only do they need to have cable, but they need to have access to an IntelliStar and hope that the IntelliStar is properly configured to receive the proper dual feed signal.

You're right - the dual feed has serious issues.  I have no idea what the proportion is, but it would be interesting to know what percentage of TWC's viewers watch on satellite, or subscribe to a cable company that doesn't have Stars to begin with (is AT&T's one of them?), or have a Star that isn't an IntelliStar.

I can understand the rationale behind the dual feed: relevant breaking weather information gets sent to those who need to watch it while everyone else isn't "interrupted" with news about what isn't happening to them.  That said, there are actually plenty of people watching TWC who want to see news about severe weather, regardless of where it's happening.  And, given the very strict technical requirements for successfully getting a dual feed to the right audience, there are certainly plenty of people in an area receiving a dual feed at any given time who just aren't able to watch it, period.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #9126 on: June 02, 2014, 03:50:59 PM »
Just got word TWC is evaluating it's local forecast, as a main focus. Hopefully the graphics will get better. Maybe TWC is starting to care again?

Thank you for your email. We are in the process of evaluating all aspects of our local product, including the music. All of this is a part of our goal of delivering the most enjoyable and informative product for the largest number of viewers. We appreciate your reaching out and I will pass your feedback on to my colleagues.

Thanks for watching.
David
« Last Edit: June 02, 2014, 03:54:42 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #9127 on: June 02, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »

Not only do they need to have cable, but they need to have access to an IntelliStar and hope that the IntelliStar is properly configured to receive the proper dual feed signal.

You're right - the dual feed has serious issues.  I have no idea what the proportion is, but it would be interesting to know what percentage of TWC's viewers watch on satellite, or subscribe to a cable company that doesn't have Stars to begin with (is AT&T's one of them?), or have a Star that isn't an IntelliStar.

I can understand the rationale behind the dual feed: relevant breaking weather information gets sent to those who need to watch it while everyone else isn't "interrupted" with news about what isn't happening to them.  That said, there are actually plenty of people watching TWC who want to see news about severe weather, regardless of where it's happening.  And, given the very strict technical requirements for successfully getting a dual feed to the right audience, there are certainly plenty of people in an area receiving a dual feed at any given time who just aren't able to watch it, period.
DirecTV and Dish might as well use the IntelliStar severe weather feed nationally more often (even if your area isn't affected by severe weather). Because that Dish's "master headend" is in Colorado and DirecTV's is in California, that is one of the only downsides of watching TWC on satellite since both satellite providers are only capable of beaming the satellite signal from outer space and back down to Earth to each one of their subscribers that have their satellites installed.

In fact, that was one of the main reasons why Dish previously dropped them for four days back in May 2010 (besides the retransmission fee increase, plus the failed "Flick & a Forecast" campaign and other longform programing). That's also what DirecTV did earlier this year until April (also having to do with both retransmission fee increases and longform programing). Either way, neither satellite providers are capable of providing with their own localized IS/IS2 or even localized EAS alerts whenever severe weather occurs in your area. Ironically, I once saw a "local" EAS alert on DirecTV that came all the way down in Los Angeles. Yet, I don't even live down there and other DirecTV subscribers outside of L.A. could of seen that same EAS nationally too. Dish also could of done it if a local Denver-based EAS would of happened and also of their subscribers could of seen it nationally too (except DirecTV of course).

Either way, neither satellite provider is prefect when it comes to TWC or even EAS alerts.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #9128 on: June 03, 2014, 04:01:12 PM »
TWC in Storm Alert as of 4pm ET

Offline willh699

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #9129 on: June 03, 2014, 08:35:26 PM »
yes, i noticed they are on storm alert mode, but this time, they didn't half :censored: it, they got the full black LDL bar with red TWC logo and storm alert music during LOT8s

Offline SamRichardson92

• Sam R
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 427
  • SD Channel #: 06
« Reply #9130 on: June 03, 2014, 11:04:57 PM »
They are playing a very extended cut of the alert music under the segments which sounds really nice.

Offline Adrian

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: CableOne
  • HD Channel #: 1333
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 333
« Reply #9131 on: June 04, 2014, 10:33:17 PM »
yes, i noticed they are on storm alert mode, but this time, they didn't half :censored: it, they got the full black LDL bar with red TWC logo and storm alert music during LOT8s

For tonight, they did ":censored: it" with the Red WCL Logo and Red Lower 3rds while the LDL remains blue and the LOT8s are not playing storm alertm usic

Offline SamRichardson92

• Sam R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9132 on: June 06, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »
Are you sure that the red ldl isn't local? Because I remember being home and seeing it grey with red logo.

Offline SamRichardson92

• Sam R
    • View Profile
« Reply #9133 on: June 07, 2014, 10:07:46 AM »
PLEASE
tell me someone recorded the extended WCL music cut at 9:05 am?

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #9134 on: June 07, 2014, 05:02:57 PM »
The Weather Channel has preempted long form for live coverage of severe weather as of 4:00pm central time