April 27, 2024, 07:40:34 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1892396 times)

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8970 on: December 02, 2013, 12:11:54 AM »
Network Weather Channel
3 hours ago
"Dave Schwartz will be on video tomorrow night around 5 p.m. to briefly talk about our new channel...
Yes, we will have former TWC meteorologists! In the months ahead, we will inform our fans to go to our website to see our personalities. We have a tremendous amount of work to be done. Any questions, just e-mail us at http://www.networkweathercompany.com/"

Offline GEAUXmedic

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #8971 on: December 02, 2013, 01:49:43 AM »
I can't get behind that. I love the idea.. believe me, but it looks like it's put together by a 10 year old. They need to come out with the big guns...

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8972 on: December 04, 2013, 02:26:12 PM »
TWC is still live at 2pm ET so no long form 2pm-5pm. Can't find any schedule updates so I don't know if they are live after 8pm.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8973 on: December 06, 2013, 12:39:00 PM »
The font size on the IS LDL's clock is smaller as of this morning:

TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #8974 on: December 06, 2013, 07:30:48 PM »
The font size on the IS LDL's clock is smaller as of this morning

They need to add the LDL city's temp to the ticker.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8975 on: December 07, 2013, 10:35:05 PM »
I don't like how the time sits on top of the logo during long form on the IS SD and agree it should be the time and temp together.

The time and temp should be placed on the right side of the screen.
Also on our IS the time is not centered with the logo and to far right.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8976 on: December 07, 2013, 11:18:32 PM »
Y'all know, on the SD feed, what the heck is the point in even having the blue bar if the LDL is transparent, and satellite viewers don't get weather? That makes no sense, and it's false advertising on TWC's part... :rolleyes: It's supposed to be weather all the time, yet it's clearly not for those with satellite... <_<
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8977 on: December 07, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »
Y'all know, on the SD feed, what the heck is the point in even having the blue bar if the LDL is transparent, and satellite viewers don't get weather? That makes no sense, and it's false advertising on TWC's part... :rolleyes: It's supposed to be weather all the time, yet it's clearly not for those with satellite... <_<

There's only so much they can do with the technical limitations involved.  Especially on the HD feed, there's no way to have a transparent LDL for the Stars if there's already a transparent national forecast there.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8978 on: December 07, 2013, 11:55:49 PM »
The LDL still remains blank (during long-form and commercials) on the HD feed for those who don't have the IS2 and only the national forecast. I'm a bit perplexed as to why after almost a month this is still the case. :dunno: It's like Zach said, it's false advertising, not that I'm all that surprised. :itsok:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8979 on: December 08, 2013, 10:18:47 AM »
The LDL still remains blank (during long-form and commercials) on the HD feed for those who don't have the IS2 and only the national forecast. I'm a bit perplexed as to why after almost a month this is still the case. :dunno: It's like Zach said, it's false advertising, not that I'm all that surprised. :itsok:

I don't think it's false advertising.  The whole premise of The Weather Channel's local forecasts since the very beginning was for cable headends to use Stars.  The system was designed before there even was direct to home satellite television, and because of the technical limitations of satellite as opposed to cable, there's just no way to get localized information to satellite viewers unless each individual satellite receiver becomes capable of being an IntelliStar in miniature.  (The best that the receivers can do right now doesn't even come close.)

The only way longform programming could have a satellite feed LDL is to make the whole LDL non-transparent.  SD viewers are stuck with that, but that's because of aspect ratios, and it actually makes good use of what would otherwise be empty space on the screen.  But HD is where the television industry does and should focus their attention, and I can fully understand why a non-transparent LDL on the screen during longform all the time isn't something that TWC wants.

A claim of false advertising would have to mean that The Weather Channel deliberately deceived viewers by promising weather all the time but failed to deliver on that and knowing that they wouldn't be able to do so in the first place.  Keeping in mind that The Weather Channel was designed for cable, and keeping in mind that satellite has different technical parameters that prevents the use of localization, TWC is keeping its promise.  It's not up to them to redesign the whole way direct to home satellite television works, and it's not up to them to design satellite receivers with their own Stars.  Localization does not work with satellite... unless TWC wants to broadcast a unique feed for every single Star location in the country.  They'd need their own fleet of satellites to do that.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #8980 on: December 08, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
I have a question for those who have the IS2, should TWC have kept the previous version or do you like the current version?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8981 on: December 08, 2013, 11:07:35 AM »

I don't think it's false advertising.  The whole premise of The Weather Channel's local forecasts since the very beginning was for cable headends to use Stars.  The system was designed before there even was direct to home satellite television, and because of the technical limitations of satellite as opposed to cable, there's just no way to get localized information to satellite viewers unless each individual satellite receiver becomes capable of being an IntelliStar in miniature.  (The best that the receivers can do right now doesn't even come close.)

The only way longform programming could have a satellite feed LDL is to make the whole LDL non-transparent.  SD viewers are stuck with that, but that's because of aspect ratios, and it actually makes good use of what would otherwise be empty space on the screen.  But HD is where the television industry does and should focus their attention, and I can fully understand why a non-transparent LDL on the screen during longform all the time isn't something that TWC wants.

A claim of false advertising would have to mean that The Weather Channel deliberately deceived viewers by promising weather all the time but failed to deliver on that and knowing that they wouldn't be able to do so in the first place.  Keeping in mind that The Weather Channel was designed for cable, and keeping in mind that satellite has different technical parameters that prevents the use of localization, TWC is keeping its promise.  It's not up to them to redesign the whole way direct to home satellite television works, and it's not up to them to design satellite receivers with their own Stars. Localization does not work with satellite... unless TWC wants to broadcast a unique feed for every single Star location in the country.  They'd need their own fleet of satellites to do that.

The whole premise of Weather All The Time is that it's "Weather All The Time" regardless of whether it's local or national weather. My point was they aren't even showing national weather during long form programming or the commercials when those shows are on. That would technically be where the false advertising comes into play if they aren't even providing viewers with that.

I never said anything about it's false advertising because they aren't providing local information for those who have Satellite or those who have HD and no IS2 so I'm not sure where that's coming from. In fact, my statement was strictly talking about viewers who have HD, but no IS2. It had nothing to do with Satellite viewers because I have no idea what those viewers are seeing anyway (unless I saw an image or video).

NintenGamers Nation

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8982 on: December 08, 2013, 05:23:47 PM »
Satellite viewers see nothing on HD during long form, and a blank LDL on SD during long-form.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8983 on: December 08, 2013, 08:14:21 PM »
The whole premise of Weather All The Time is that it's "Weather All The Time" regardless of whether it's local or national weather. My point was they aren't even showing national weather during long form programming or the commercials when those shows are on. That would technically be where the false advertising comes into play if they aren't even providing viewers with that.

I never said anything about it's false advertising because they aren't providing local information for those who have Satellite or those who have HD and no IS2 so I'm not sure where that's coming from. In fact, my statement was strictly talking about viewers who have HD, but no IS2. It had nothing to do with Satellite viewers because I have no idea what those viewers are seeing anyway (unless I saw an image or video).

As I said, there are technological limitations that can't be overcome easily.  Do you think, because of those limitations, TWC never should have advertised "weather all the time" in the first place?  As I already said, from the first day TWC was designed for cable TV, not for satellite.  It airs on satellite to gain more of an audience, but the local forecast segments just can't be configured for direct to home satellite television.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8984 on: December 08, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »

As I said, there are technological limitations that can't be overcome easily.  Do you think, because of those limitations, TWC never should have advertised "weather all the time" in the first place?  As I already said, from the first day TWC was designed for cable TV, not for satellite. It airs on satellite to gain more of an audience, but the local forecast segments just can't be configured for direct to home satellite television.

I really don't think you're understanding what I've been saying since the beginning. I NEVER said local forecasts should be shown/programmed on the HD LDL or Satellite LDL. I don't know why you keep reinventing an argument I never made in the first place. I don't have satellite, I have cable, but I also have an HD feed that's never had an IS2 and has always showed national weather. The point of both the original and last post I made was over the fact that we're not even getting national weather except only during live programming.

Also, there's no "technological limitations" to displaying national weather on a HD national LDL. They do it during live programming/commercials, they can certainly do it during non- live programming point, blank, and simple.

EDIT: That fact that I've explained my statement clearly three times already has gotten very repetitive, we're just going in circles so I'll leave as it is after this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 08:50:53 PM by toxictwister00 »

NintenGamers Nation