April 27, 2024, 12:47:25 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1891920 times)

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8280 on: August 28, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
TWC is promoting WUWA with limited commercial interruption Wednesday at 5am ET.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
« Reply #8281 on: August 28, 2012, 08:29:10 PM »
It would be nice if they did limited commercial interruption now! Making me turn the channel to other networks and it just made landfall. Yet they're barely showing the live shots they've paid a lot of money for. All those reporters out in the field they've been hyping for days now are barely being shown! They had more coverage last Friday than they do this evening while it's actually hitting. Friday they were using the squeeze backs for LOT8's to provide more coverage. Now it's commercial city. Ugh.  :nono:
Edit: I remember when they used to show the live shots more than they did current data. No LOT8's now, BTW.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #8282 on: August 28, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
They have focused a lot of their attention on doing more throwbacks to the Hurricane Crew, interviews, and showing live press conferences than they used to in the past. The latter, not to say it's not important, but since they're only showing snippets of it, that time could be spent more on live shots.

Also, I wanted to point out that I really like this production track they used at the beginning of Day Planner today. It felt very Storm Alert to me. :happy: That blooper of Jen I mentioned in the blooper thread is in here too.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8283 on: August 30, 2012, 05:42:48 AM »
This is the longest the studio has been lit red since the move in to the High Definition studio.... We're going to hit 5 days this afternoon...

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8284 on: August 30, 2012, 12:00:27 PM »
What is up with TWC and their geography issues? First of all, one female OCM (not sure who) apparently called my state (Mississippi) a "Land Mass between New Orleans and Mobile". Many people have reported seeing this but no one was recording it.

Secondly, I've seen multiple (at least 3) graphics showing "Mobile Bay, MS. In case you didn't know, Mobile Bay is in Alabama. I understand if it was a typo the first time, but 2 more times! What a sorry GFX director.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8285 on: September 01, 2012, 02:32:57 AM »
Iassc coverage ended at 2am ET. TWC back to the regular schedule.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8286 on: September 01, 2012, 06:34:01 AM »
I have to admit that I'm very impressed by their coverage on Isaac.  On the one hand, in their new long-form universe, maybe it seemed a little overhyped at times, but, on the other hand, compared to what TWC used to be, it was spot-on!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8287 on: September 01, 2012, 10:24:26 AM »
Extensive coverage may be winding down, yet they still remain in RED MODE as I saw a few minutes ago. :o

NintenGamers Nation

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8288 on: September 01, 2012, 05:23:02 PM »
They did extend live coverage today through the afternoon.

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #8289 on: September 02, 2012, 08:07:24 AM »
I believe TWC did an excellent job on their coverage of Isaac. The sad fact of the matter is they've pulled me back into viewership with the likely-temporary instrumental music and 24/7 coverage schedule. I know this'll probably only last a few more days, but I must say that my biggest excitement from Isaac wasn't the original track towards Panama City, only the fact that (our) old channel returned to its old self for a few days.

When I tune in and see nothing but long-form, I go back to wishing Landmark had never sold it...

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #8290 on: September 02, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
I thought the opposite.  I was not highly impressed by their coverage.  There were parts I liked, other parts, not so much.  Some OCM's sounded like they had no idea what was going on.  One live shot I tuned in to, the meteorologist was talking about smelling bacon...okay, thanks for that.  As I've stated before, I am not a huge fan of Bryan Norcross, so when he was on it was hard to watch.

However, as I stated, there were some times during the day where they seemed to be on top of everything and knew what exactly was going on.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8291 on: September 02, 2012, 11:20:19 AM »
I thought the opposite.  I was not highly impressed by their coverage.  There were parts I liked, other parts, not so much.  Some OCM's sounded like they had no idea what was going on.  One live shot I tuned in to, the meteorologist was talking about smelling bacon...okay, thanks for that.  As I've stated before, I am not a huge fan of Bryan Norcross, so when he was on it was hard to watch.

However, as I stated, there were some times during the day where they seemed to be on top of everything and knew what exactly was going on.

I saw that, (from my recordings when I came back home) that was during Jim and Al's live shot, but I can't remember which of the two brought it up right now. :unsure: Honestly, that doesn't come off to me as a con of the coverage, they were just making an observation that in the midst of all the heavy winds/rains they were smelling that out of the blue.

I'm still baffled as to why they're studio remains lite red...I know they're talking about Isaac's aftermath, but that's not really a reason to remain in red mode, it feels like an overuse of something they didn't bother to do for 4 years.

EDIT: Regardless, I saw a promo yesterday that claims 58 million folks watched throughout the duration the coverage which made them #1 in the ratings, not that it's a surprise.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2012, 11:23:57 AM by WxSTAR4000FTW »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8292 on: September 02, 2012, 03:36:37 PM »

I saw that, (from my recordings when I came back home) that was during Jim and Al's live shot, but I can't remember which of the two brought it up right now. :unsure: Honestly, that doesn't come off to me as a con of the coverage, they were just making an observation that in the midst of all the heavy winds/rains they were smelling that out of the blue.

I'm still baffled as to why they're studio remains lite red...I know they're talking about Isaac's aftermath, but that's not really a reason to remain in red mode, it feels like an overuse of something they didn't bother to do for 4 years.

EDIT: Regardless, I saw a promo yesterday that claims 58 million folks watched throughout the duration the coverage which made them #1 in the ratings, not that it's a surprise.
That was Jim who brought that up. I think he wanted to mention it, but they had to go to commercial right after he said it. Then again, maybe he was hungry or just so exhausted from being in the field all that time that he just said something completely off the wall. I thought it was funny, but not LOL funny.  :rolleyes:

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8293 on: September 02, 2012, 04:09:07 PM »
I thought it was Jim who brought it up, I don't mind him finding a little humor during his live shot or even not during his live shots when Mike and Carl saw him doing push ups. He already gets a bad rep. for bringing "gloom and doom"  to wherever he goes.  I think he deserves to be able to show a little lighter side if he wants to.

On a side note, I never watched Reynolds Wolf on CNN so I didn't know how he would be, but I noticed he likes to say, "Let's show America..." a lot when he was reporting. Did he used to do that a lot at CNN? Also who's willing to bet he'll be a permanent OCM at TWC very soon, Isaac was probably their little test to decide if they want to keep him around longer...I can't see Mr. Wolf remaining a freelancer for them for too long, he's either gonna be hired full time by them or he's gonna end up taking a full time met job locally somewhere.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #8294 on: September 02, 2012, 07:17:36 PM »
As I've stated before, I am not a huge fan of Bryan Norcross, so when he was on it was hard to watch.

'tis true, he was the only person out of the coverage I managed to watch (which had to accumulate to about 54 hours) that I really was ready to change the channel on. He acted like a total d-bag towards everybody and acted like a big shot, which I guess is why he thought he could cut everyone off while they were talking...