May 11, 2024, 12:41:49 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1900048 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #7815 on: March 07, 2012, 02:20:06 PM »
I always felt like that video wall was just eye candy for them. You know just to have something to brag about with it being so massive in size. I obviously don't know what brand/manufacturer it's from but maybe they got a bad HDTV brand if they have to keep repairing it, not all of them are that great as far as their maximum life expectancy. 

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #7816 on: March 07, 2012, 03:35:40 PM »
I can't imagine the video wall would last terribly long each time, since it has to be turned up very brightly in order to be seen on camera underneath all the bright studio lights.  Even then, at its best, it will never appear as sharp or as bright as a map on chroma key.

It was a nice idea they had about the video wall, but putting it into practice has shown that maybe it's not the best way to do things after all.  They realized that the maps just looked too murky on the wall, so they started using chroma key again.  They realized that the wall has to be maintained far too often (and usually at great cost) in order to keep using it.

I think it's time to just abandon it altogether.  Unless NBC is giving money for them to burn... with the provision that they don't spend it on payroll (referring to the many recent layoffs of longtime staff).
I believe its a projection system. Not really that much to it. They aren't replacing the entire setup when they fix it.

I think the main problem here is that the setup needs to be overhauled. If you look at CNNs studios, they have several lage video walls that are all sharp and bright. Probably a cost saving move on TWCs part back when they were building the studio. The new studios were a big move also to make it more appealing to buyers
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:40:19 PM by TWCToday »

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #7817 on: March 07, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
I can't imagine the video wall would last terribly long each time, since it has to be turned up very brightly in order to be seen on camera underneath all the bright studio lights.  Even then, at its best, it will never appear as sharp or as bright as a map on chroma key.

It was a nice idea they had about the video wall, but putting it into practice has shown that maybe it's not the best way to do things after all.  They realized that the maps just looked too murky on the wall, so they started using chroma key again.  They realized that the wall has to be maintained far too often (and usually at great cost) in order to keep using it.

I think it's time to just abandon it altogether.  Unless NBC is giving money for them to burn... with the provision that they don't spend it on payroll (referring to the many recent layoffs of longtime staff).
I believe its a projection system. Not really that much to it. They aren't replacing the entire setup when they fix it.

I think the main problem here is that the setup needs to be overhauled. If you look at CNNs studios, they have several lage video walls that are all sharp and bright. Probably a cost saving move on TWCs part back when they were building the studio. The new studios were a big move also to make it more appealing to buyers
They may have to replace bulbs in the projector then re calibrate the color and positioning. That could take a long time when you're talking about 3 projectors working together and fine tuning it.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7818 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:51 PM »

They may have to replace bulbs in the projector then re calibrate the color and positioning. That could take a long time when you're talking about 3 projectors working together and fine tuning it.
Yep that would be my guess as well!

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7819 on: March 07, 2012, 06:01:19 PM »
Landmark was on its last legs when TWC upgraded so I won't be surprised if that was the case. As well, green products were the key back then, which is something that isn't much of a concern to companies these days due to the economy.

Offline xoddf2

• TWC Fan 2004­­­–2009
    • View Profile
    • wlair.us.to
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 798
  • SD Channel #: 22
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23811
« Reply #7820 on: March 07, 2012, 08:20:38 PM »
Speaking of which, during the transition period in mid-2008 between the chroma key and the video wall, I knew I would miss seeing them use the chroma key and have a nostalgic attachment to it. After the transition period, I was right.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7821 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:45 PM »
Landmark was on its last legs when TWC upgraded so I won't be surprised if that was the case. As well, green products were the key back then, which is something that isn't much of a concern to companies these days due to the economy.
Well I wouldn't say they were on their last legs but they pretty much knew they wanted to sell TWC at that point. Landmark is very much a thriving company though. It still remains puzzling why they pushed to sell TWC. Perhaps they saw the market slowing for cable networks.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7822 on: March 08, 2012, 10:12:50 PM »

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #7823 on: March 10, 2012, 11:41:59 AM »
TWC just used the "Welcome to Spring" track when coming back! :blink:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #7824 on: March 10, 2012, 04:04:28 PM »
How does a shot like this get on the air?

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #7825 on: March 10, 2012, 06:00:56 PM »
Does TWC really not have enough cash to pay the electricity bills or something?

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #7826 on: March 10, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »
Three hours later...

Not fixed.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #7827 on: March 11, 2012, 12:02:07 AM »
Someone doesn't know how to do lighting...

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #7828 on: March 11, 2012, 12:48:54 AM »
Three hours later...

Not fixed.
I love how her facial expression seems to say “Oh well.” :P
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #7829 on: March 11, 2012, 09:32:32 AM »
Does NBC save money by hiring only amateurs and interns to do the job?  Or are "qualified" technicians just that incompetent?  Or is the studio inadequate and the producers just don't care?