April 28, 2024, 08:12:14 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1893164 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #6405 on: October 08, 2010, 11:59:04 PM »
The only thing they're using the video wall for now is the news and show title graphics.

I bet whoever wrote the check for that big video wall is probably kicking himself at least a little now... assuming he's still with the company.
I think that's how the video wall should have been used for to begin with, like CNN does. It's incredibly blurry for weather graphics and radar graphics and such. I think, assuming this is a permanent decision, that they finally realized this after two years.

You're right, Jesse. :yes: When I saw WC tonight, I could not believe how clear the weather graphics looked on the chroma key as compared to the video wall. If this is a permanent change, I certainly don't have a problem with it. Aren't some graphics still "unsafe" to fit on the chroma key, though? :thinking:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #6406 on: October 09, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
The only thing they're using the video wall for now is the news and show title graphics.

I bet whoever wrote the check for that big video wall is probably kicking himself at least a little now... assuming he's still with the company.
I think that's how the video wall should have been used for to begin with, like CNN does. It's incredibly blurry for weather graphics and radar graphics and such. I think, assuming this is a permanent decision, that they finally realized this after two years.

You're right, Jesse. :yes: When I saw WC tonight, I could not believe how clear the weather graphics looked on the chroma key as compared to the video wall. If this is a permanent change, I certainly don't have a problem with it. Aren't some graphics still "unsafe" to fit on the chroma key, though? :thinking:
Yes, but as long as they continue to do the window/letterboxing that they're doing on the chromakey, then all should actually be well :-)

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #6407 on: October 09, 2010, 02:41:05 PM »

Yes, but as long as they continue to do the window/letterboxing that they're doing on the chromakey, then all should actually be well :-)
I think this is one of the best decisions TWC has made in a while. I was actually not watching twc for a while because it was so hard sometimes to see the weather graphics clearly on the video wall.  :yes:

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
« Reply #6408 on: October 09, 2010, 03:49:58 PM »
Why is the LO8 L Bar not on today??  I did not see it last night either

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #6409 on: October 12, 2010, 11:24:17 AM »
Carl Parker and Heather Tesch on Day Planner (which is perfectly normal), but for some reason Jeff Morrow is doing the Weekly Planner.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #6410 on: October 12, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
There must be a good reason why every time I turn on TWC here recently they've been using the green screens.

Offline Al

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: SuddenLink
  • SD Channel #: 02
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22975
« Reply #6411 on: October 12, 2010, 03:02:48 PM »
the video wall probably fell victim to budget cuts as well...  :P

Offline skaloveexx33

• View Profile
    • n/a
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #6412 on: October 12, 2010, 03:19:06 PM »
There must be a good reason why every time I turn on TWC here recently they've been using the green screens.
Yeah they've been doing that for about a week or so. I've noticed it as well.
MD/VA

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 5367
« Reply #6413 on: October 12, 2010, 05:30:10 PM »
the video wall probably fell victim to budget cuts as well...  :P

^^^ LMAO

Now that most of you mention it, the absence of the video wall is taking longer than expected. They should have fixed it by now.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #6414 on: October 12, 2010, 06:19:54 PM »
From what I understand, there is nothing wrong with the video wall.  I noticed that they used it over the weekend on Weekend View for the 60 second newscast.  I know a couple people have mentioned they are using it for segments like that.

I personally like the chroma-key better.  Graphics are more clear on the chroma-key.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6415 on: October 12, 2010, 09:25:34 PM »
Now that most of you mention it, the absence of the video wall is taking longer than expected. They should have fixed it by now.

I think it's because of several reasons.

First, the video wall, like many other kinds of video displays, has grown dimmer over time.  It requires a very bright display to overcome the effects of the bright studio lighting and still be picked up by the camera.

Second, a video display will never appear quite as sharp on camera as directly-generated computer graphics, such as the chroma key wall.  Crudely speaking, think of copying one videotape to another.  The second generation is going to be somewhat worse in quality than the first.  That's the general idea here.  Instead of looking at the video wall directly with your eyes, the image from the video wall has to be captured by a camera, converted to an electrical signal, sent to the broadcast equipment, transmitted via satellite and cable, reproduced on your TV screen, and only then seen by your eyes.

Third, I'm sure the budget does come into play here, as refurbishing the video wall can't be cheap.

Offline Jake

• Jake
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #6416 on: October 12, 2010, 11:01:42 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with everything being mentioned here. but I do have a question, where is the chroma key located?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6417 on: October 12, 2010, 11:22:20 PM »
Yeah, I have to agree with everything being mentioned here. but I do have a question, where is the chroma key located?

I think there are two; both of which are located off that little side room with the wave graphics (or whatever is there now). :yes: I know there's definetely that swivel-one, and I believe there is another one on the wall across from it.

As Kyle said, I don't think anything is wrong with the video wall but instead, TWC has made a good decision to use the chroma-key for weather maps and stuff. It definetely does look a lot clearer than the video wall, and all graphics are safe! :biggrin:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #6418 on: October 12, 2010, 11:40:10 PM »
Let's see how many more times people are going to ask about this damn video wall...

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #6419 on: October 13, 2010, 12:21:37 AM »
Let's see how many more times people are going to ask about this damn video wall...

To paraphrase Pink Floyd, it's another brick in the (video) wall.  :rofl2:
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"