May 12, 2024, 07:20:42 AM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1900322 times)

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #6390 on: October 07, 2010, 07:07:40 AM »
maybe im just moody.. but what the F is up with the regular video wall.. this chroma key wall is for the birds!

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6391 on: October 07, 2010, 07:13:55 AM »
ok.. the video wall isnt being used for weather stuff.. its used as a big billboard.. UGH!

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6392 on: October 07, 2010, 07:27:42 AM »
okay.. apparently theres a "new" green wall..

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #6393 on: October 07, 2010, 07:42:37 AM »
I guess they are using the Chroma key to make it easier to see the weather on tv. It does help since the video wall isn't very bright anymore, not saying it ever was.  :blink:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #6394 on: October 07, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »
I guess they are using the Chroma key to make it easier to see the weather on tv. It does help since the video wall isn't very bright anymore, not saying it ever was.  :blink:
Between the video wall having a blue tint, having the brightness go funky live on air, having the video wall backlights get darker and darker, the video wall borders (all having died at some point in time), having the center panel die at one point, I could go on, I'm surprised they're still using it for weather presentations. Just my opinion.

However, I will admit. I'm glad they're being smart about it and windowboxing their graphics on the chromakey as most of their graphics are not 4:3 safe.

EDIT [9:14am]: it seems Kelly Cass has acknowledged it, and her vague wording makes me believe this seems to be a longer term solution, as the video wall is still being used for non-weather presenting... It's like a major news network! lol ... link to facebook post
« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 09:15:34 AM by jtmal0723 »

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #6395 on: October 07, 2010, 09:19:30 AM »
Between the video wall having a blue tint, having the brightness go funky live on air, having the video wall backlights get darker and darker, the video wall borders (all having died at some point in time), having the center panel die at one point, I could go on, I'm surprised they're still using it for weather presentations. Just my opinion.

However, I will admit. I'm glad they're being smart about it and windowboxing their graphics on the chromakey as most of their graphics are not 4:3 safe.

EDIT [9:14am]: it seems Kelly Cass has acknowledged it, and her vague wording makes me believe this seems to be a longer term solution, as the video wall is still being used for non-weather presenting... It's like a major news network! lol ... link to facebook post

I noticed her post, too.  I like the chromakey better than the video wall.  A lot easier to see the graphics, and some of the OCM's don't seem so small on the chroma :P/

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 9348
« Reply #6396 on: October 07, 2010, 10:25:34 AM »

Not only all of that but, when TWC debuted their new HD Studio on YWT back in June 2008, the first thought that came to my mind besides this is awesome!  Was that I felt that the radar/ maps / weekly planner and 5 Day Planner for select cities on the video wall was a little far out (from the camera that is) than FO which was still in SD and still in the SD studio at the time.     Maybe TWC thought of this now because YWT used the Video Wall this morn but not for forecasting.  I might be wrong but, I don’t think the video wall is broken because it looked just fine to me last night and this morn. 

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6397 on: October 07, 2010, 05:31:09 PM »
OT: Is the direct link weather.com not working for anyone else? I get a blank "Page Not Found" error but can get to weather.com through any other link. :blink: (i.e. www.weather.com/home or preview.weather.com)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6398 on: October 07, 2010, 07:12:27 PM »
OT: Is the direct link weather.com not working for anyone else? I get a blank "Page Not Found" error but can get to weather.com through any other link. :blink: (i.e. www.weather.com/home or preview.weather.com)

It works fine for me.

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #6399 on: October 08, 2010, 08:28:51 AM »

I noticed her post, too.  I like the chromakey better than the video wall.  A lot easier to see the graphics, and some of the OCM's don't seem so small on the chroma :P/

I saw the video wall being used on WC last night, and they were showing an "Arizona Tornadoes" graphic, but the "na" at the end of "Arizona" and the "es" in "Tornadoes" was cut off.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #6400 on: October 08, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
TWC's HD LDL has been stuck all morning. Wonder when TWC will fix it.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6401 on: October 08, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »

I saw the video wall being used on WC last night, and they were showing an "Arizona Tornadoes" graphic, but the "na" at the end of "Arizona" and the "es" in "Tornadoes" was cut off.

The only thing they're using the video wall for now is the news and show title graphics.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6402 on: October 08, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
The only thing they're using the video wall for now is the news and show title graphics.

I bet whoever wrote the check for that big video wall is probably kicking himself at least a little now... assuming he's still with the company.

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
« Reply #6403 on: October 08, 2010, 08:33:58 PM »
Is The new LO8 LDL in use tonight?

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #6404 on: October 08, 2010, 11:19:27 PM »

I bet whoever wrote the check for that big video wall is probably kicking himself at least a little now... assuming he's still with the company.
I think that's how the video wall should have been used for to begin with, like CNN does. It's incredibly blurry for weather graphics and radar graphics and such. I think, assuming this is a permanent decision, that they finally realized this after two years.

TWC's HD LDL has been stuck all morning. Wonder when TWC will fix it.
LDA syndrome!