May 02, 2024, 11:14:41 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1895644 times)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #6075 on: August 06, 2010, 07:08:58 PM »
My WOYW on TWC.  :D

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #6076 on: August 07, 2010, 03:10:17 AM »
Very nice! Congrats

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #6077 on: August 07, 2010, 08:53:59 AM »
HUMIDICON!  Really?.... :rolleyes:  That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #6078 on: August 07, 2010, 10:17:40 AM »
HUMIDICON!  Really?.... :rolleyes:  That's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while.
explain... what are you talking about?

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6079 on: August 07, 2010, 11:53:05 AM »
Earlier this morning, TWC has a "Humidicon," the higher the number, the worse the humidity.  Example: 4/10 chance for humid weather.  I find it stupid.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #6080 on: August 07, 2010, 01:56:36 PM »
Earlier this morning, TWC has a "Humidicon," the higher the number, the worse the humidity.  Example: 4/10 chance for humid weather.  I find it stupid.

TORCON ripoff.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6081 on: August 07, 2010, 02:03:07 PM »

TORCON ripoff.  :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yeah, that is ridiculous. <_< Next thing you know it, we'll have "HAILCON" or "STORMCON" or "SNOWCON." :rolleyes:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #6082 on: August 07, 2010, 02:43:05 PM »
How about if I launch a TWCCON, showing how accurate and good TWC itself is? :rofl:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #6083 on: August 07, 2010, 04:15:05 PM »
Why is TWC using an index to describe humid weather when there's already an absolute measure for it:  the dew point?  Many media outlets, including TWC, seem to be making things dumber to the public with these simple indices instead of teaching everyone how weather works.  No wonder so many people don't understand weather! :(

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6084 on: August 07, 2010, 05:31:27 PM »
Why is TWC using an index to describe humid weather when there's already an absolute measure for it:  the dew point?  Many media outlets, including TWC, seem to be making things dumber to the public with these simple indices instead of teaching everyone how weather works.  No wonder so many people don't understand weather! :(
Exactly my thought.  I actually mentioned something about the TORCON in my tornado presentation in my meteorology class. I basically told them to take that "index" with a grain of salt.  While it might be somewhat accurate, it is not scientific.  Personally, I don't like the scale, because like I said it is scientific. But, I guess it is kind of creative. 

At any rate, Patrick is correct, they are dumbing everything down.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6085 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:07 PM »

Excellent way of putting it, Patrick! :biggrin: We need to call in Carl Parker; he actually explains things like what dew point is and, of course, how thick lightning is. And I appreciate these explanations a lot...all the better to keep watching him. :)

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6086 on: August 08, 2010, 05:53:23 PM »
Right now, they are airing an old version of "Surviving The Elements: Hurricane". They are talking about what would happen if a Category 4 hit New Orleans. They are having to put a Lower Third saying "This show was completed before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast." I find that hilarious.  :rofl:

Why not just film a new episode? They are using the old L3RDs, which the ad covers up half of the person's name anyway.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6087 on: August 08, 2010, 06:13:40 PM »
Right now, they are airing an old version of "Surviving The Elements: Hurricane". They are talking about what would happen if a Category 4 hit New Orleans. They are having to put a Lower Third saying "This show was completed before Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast." I find that hilarious.  :rofl:

Why not just film a new episode? They are using the old L3RDs, which the ad covers up half of the person's name anyway.

The same thing happened from an episode of It Could Happen Tomorrow that was about the same thing it aired a few months before Katrina hit and didn't air again until years later. It was deemed the lost episode of that show.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6088 on: August 08, 2010, 06:31:10 PM »

The same thing happened from an episode of It Could Happen Tomorrow that was about the same thing it aired a few months before Katrina hit and didn't air again until years later. It was deemed the lost episode of that show.

I guess this shows you that it really could happen tomorrow!

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #6089 on: August 08, 2010, 07:40:29 PM »
They are using the old L3RDs, which the ad covers up half of the person's name anyway.
When they aired back in the day and re-aired last year the LDL was never cued :no:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~