April 27, 2024, 04:11:13 PM

Author Topic: General TWC Discussion  (Read 1892157 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General TWC Discussion
« Reply #8745 on: May 18, 2013, 09:12:08 PM »
At least TWC has their live tornado hunt feed going on weather.com.  This is ridiculous. :itsok:

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #8746 on: May 18, 2013, 09:13:57 PM »
TWC goes live again at 9pm ET long after the tornadoes touched down at 8:28pm ET.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8747 on: May 18, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »
TWC goes live again at 9pm ET long after the tornadoes touched down at 8:28pm ET.

They must have just cut in.  I tuned in just a little after 9pm ET (8pm CT) to see an episode of Deadliest Space Weather about tornadoes.  Figures. :rolleyes:

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #8748 on: May 18, 2013, 09:21:55 PM »

Too little too late IMO, i just don't get how peoples lives are at risk and the programming team decides to put on longform programming. I've been watching TWC for almost 20 years and this example had to be the lowest of the low.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8749 on: May 18, 2013, 09:34:57 PM »
The storm the Tornado Hunt team were on had 3 tornadoes touch down between around 8:25pm and 9pm and TWC stayed on tape. They go live after and are apparently staying live to 11pm.
It really makes you wonder who makes the decision when they go live or stay on tape TV producers or meteorologists?

Being they were at TWC going back to when they were a weather channel in the late 1990's,
I wonder what Kim and Warren were saying to each other while TWC stayed on tape for the 8pm hour.

Carl Parker is doing a very good job at the expert desk.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 09:46:07 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #8750 on: May 18, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
Maybe Its a dual feed issue?

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8751 on: May 18, 2013, 10:14:51 PM »
 :hammer:

Don't tell me they did this again!  If TWC's going to do this, why not just split-screen the longform vs. the live coverage?  :rolleyes:  I'm afraid they're really letting people down this year.  Previously, the problems included OCM layoffs, sloppy graphics, poor music, or 60-second locals.  Now, it's gotten worse as they forget what the "W" in TWC stands for.  Will it be the same thing during hurricane season?  I would say the whole longform issue is drawing to a head at this rate.  It's crossing the boundary from annoying to dangerous.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:17:43 PM by Metarvo »

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8752 on: May 18, 2013, 10:22:42 PM »
The dual feed has not returned yet.

April 3, 2013
ONLY NATIONAL. LOCAL.COVERAGE.
Clark announced that The Weather Channel network will soon be able to present severe weather coverage in affected markets only, allowing viewers in unaffected markets to remain viewing regularly scheduled programming.
http://press.weather.com/press-releases/weather-channel-announces-2013-14-programming-slate-new-vide/

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #8753 on: May 18, 2013, 10:32:04 PM »
The dual feed has not returned yet.

April 3, 2013
ONLY NATIONAL. LOCAL.COVERAGE.
Clark announced that The Weather Channel network will soon be able to present severe weather coverage in affected markets only, allowing viewers in unaffected markets to remain viewing regularly scheduled programming.

But ask anyone who watches TWC for weather they rather watch the coverage even if they don't live in those affected areas. Long form is killing the network i just don't see how TWC doesn't realize that if something isn't broken don't fix it.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #8754 on: May 18, 2013, 10:34:47 PM »
So, how will this be suited to the people that have satellite?  I mean, I know satellite viewers can get LFs now, but still.  Speaking of LFs, it sounds like we'll be getting glorified squeezeback LOT8s permanently.  Translation: no music.

As far as longform goes, it looks like some of it doesn't even involve weather (a fishing show?).  You even have shows that contradict weather tenets we've been told for years.  First, they tell us to go inside if you hear thunder, but then they throw a show at us with people that play with lightning.  This makes last year sound good.  Even "turn around, don't drown" will go out the window at this rate, with the hypothetical premiere of "Car Floaters".

But ask anyone who watches TWC for weather they rather watch the coverage even if they don't live in those affected areas.

This.  :yes:  I tell you, I can't believe what I've seen from this channel in 2013.  This is just like a news network showing an old war movie rather than showing breaking news about an actual war that might be going on.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 10:41:18 PM by Metarvo »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8755 on: May 18, 2013, 11:36:10 PM »
TWC went back to taped programming at 11 PM ET/10 PM CT.  Ironically, they're showing that same program they showed during the 8 PM ET/7 PM ET hour.  Maybe because it is about tornado myths they feel it is educational?  I will say that with the storms dying and them starting to say the same thing over and over maybe going to tape now was alright.  But certainly not for the 8 PM hour when there were tornadoes on the ground.

I guess tomorrow we don't have to worry about this since they have said they will be live all day.  Now let's hope the severe weather does not bust. :club:

I will say that the team tonight of Warren, Kim, and Carl did a very good job.  I am honestly shocked that they kept Warren and Kim on the entire time and did not switch to a new pair of OCMs a little later on, but maybe because it is the weekend they are short?  Granted, I know there have been times when OCMs have stayed on for quite some time (Paul Goodloe is a good example) but it seems like recently they only keep OCMs on for a couple of hours or so.  I could be wrong.  But perhaps Warren and Kim's dinner break was during the 8 PM hour they went to tape?

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #8756 on: May 18, 2013, 11:44:51 PM »
I've always wondered what TWC employees think about the network's current direction of programming  :hmm: :thinking:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 11:47:16 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8757 on: May 18, 2013, 11:57:07 PM »
It is ridiculous that they can't break into their precious repeated longform to cover tornadoes that actually touched down. This might be a sign of things to come in the future, sad to say. It seems like actual weather news is going to be phased out, and it'll just become a reality/entertainment channel a la TLC. It already is approaching that territory as it is. I said a few years ago that TWC probably will have some sort of "weather-related" sports show.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 12:02:32 AM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #8758 on: May 19, 2013, 12:36:06 AM »
I will say that the team tonight of Warren, Kim, and Carl did a very good job.  I am honestly shocked that they kept Warren and Kim on the entire time and did not switch to a new pair of OCMs a little later on, but maybe because it is the weekend they are short?  Granted, I know there have been times when OCMs have stayed on for quite some time (Paul Goodloe is a good example) but it seems like recently they only keep OCMs on for a couple of hours or so.  I could be wrong.  But perhaps Warren and Kim's dinner break was during the 8 PM hour they went to tape?

The 1am WCL is all live.

Regular shifts when TWC is live all day are usually 4 hours so Kim and Warren could have stayed on 7pm-11pm  and then new OCMs would be on at 11pm.

Today the shifts should be 4:30am-7am, 7am-11am, 11am-3pm,3pm-7pm,7pm-11pm.
If they stay live it's 11pm-3am, 3am-5am.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:14:18 AM by IceManNYR »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #8759 on: May 19, 2013, 01:18:10 AM »
I thought they did a fine job covering the Dallas tornadoes on wednesday. I think maybe they were short staffed today so there was more delay figuring out whether or not twc programming should be preempted