Present - The Weather Channel 2000 > Weatherscan Discussion

When will all Xfinity Weatherscan units be back?

(1/4) > >>

YoshiSTAR_41:
I think all Xfinity Weatherscan units will be back on June 3, 2018. The countdown for all Xfinity TV Weatherscan units is shown below:

https://countingdownto.com/countdown/all-xfinity-weatherscan-units-will-be-back-in-countdown-clock

Do you think all Weatherscan units will be back on 6/3/2018?

Mike M:
They won't... there has to be a LOT of demand for it, and as much as we're seeing it's not nearly enough when you compare to all television viewers. Plus, its future overall is grim in the coming years, it hasn't been maintained, is powered by old, obsolete equipment, uses outdated graphics, the overall switch to mobile devices -- all reasons why a lot of affiliates have been dropping it.

crazybangles:
Unfortunately, I don’t think that Weatherscan will ever be back. Looking at how old the units that ran it were, it was time for them to retire and I don’t think weatherscan will be back.

22appaar:
It's all because of that "Local Now" bullshit.

Jonathon:

--- Quote from: 22appaar on December 26, 2017, 06:09:52 PM ---It's all because of that "Local Now" bullshit.

--- End quote ---
Local Now has nothing to do with Weatherscan going away. They're two entirely different services. Weatherscan is shutting down because of all the other points made so far: outdated equipment, lack of maintenance and support, old graphics, smartphones, etc.; again, it wouldn't matter if LN existed or not, Weatherscan would be gone regardless.

Personally, I think the FCC requiring audible readouts of warnings is what killed Weatherscan. The IS units that are used for it were being pushed to their limits as it is; putting a TTS package on them would be overkill. Also, there's a pretty good chance the IS units haven't had a major hardware, kernel, or OS upgrade since they were shipped out.

At this point, it's probably a mercy killing in TWC's eyes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version