March 28, 2024, 02:00:56 PM

Author Topic: Weatherscan Topic  (Read 245771 times)

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Weatherscan Topic
« Reply #585 on: November 18, 2017, 01:20:31 PM »
Weatherscan has disappeared from Xfinity in the Pittsburgh metro area.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 549
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • SD Channel #: 49
  • SD WxStar ID #: 31471
  • WxScan Ch. #: 19
  • WxScan ID #: 20271
« Reply #586 on: March 22, 2018, 08:51:10 AM »
Even though I’m in college now 100 miles away, I still like to keep up with what’s going on with the cable system at home and I saw their meeting agenda a couple of days ago included a “Weather Channel Renewal” section and assumed that any renewal of their TWC affiliation agreement would include the forced removal of Weatherscan. This is apparently not the case. The agreement (negotiated through the NCTC) actually extends carriage of both TWC and Weatherscan from the original cut-off date of February 28, 2019 to February 28, 2022. Also, by entering this agreement a year early, allows them to save money on buying the channels wholesale. Seems like my theory is correct in that TWC isn’t forcing anything and they’re just letting cable companies decide when to get rid of it based on viewership numbers, bandwidth concerns, overhead costs, etc. This may change in the future, but it does appear Weatherscan will live in Frankfort for a few more years.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: March 22, 2018, 10:10:41 AM »
Even though I’m in college now 100 miles away, I still like to keep up with what’s going on with the cable system at home and I saw their meeting agenda a couple of days ago included a “Weather Channel Renewal” section and assumed that any renewal of their TWC affiliation agreement would include the forced removal of Weatherscan. This is apparently not the case. The agreement (negotiated through the NCTC) actually extends carriage of both TWC and Weatherscan from the original cut-off date of February 28, 2019 to February 28, 2022. Also, by entering this agreement a year early, allows them to save money on buying the channels wholesale. Seems like my theory is correct in that TWC isn’t forcing anything and they’re just letting cable companies decide when to get rid of it based on viewership numbers, bandwidth concerns, overhead costs, etc. This may change in the future, but it does appear Weatherscan will live in Frankfort for a few more years.
I think in your case in Frankfort, Weatherscan has more decent views due to it being in a lower channel number (19) and being in a lower tier. Most Comcast markets required one of the highest digital packages and had the channel in the 100s or higher; that alone (but also other reasons) didn't draw a lot of viewership.

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: March 22, 2018, 11:19:56 AM »
I think in your case in Frankfort, Weatherscan has more decent views due to it being in a lower channel number (19) and being in a lower tier. Most Comcast markets required one of the highest digital packages and had the channel in the 100s or higher; that alone (but also other reasons) didn't draw a lot of viewership.
And that, I think, is the big takeaway. But with new owners, who knows what will happen now.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #589 on: March 22, 2018, 08:50:21 PM »
And that, I think, is the big takeaway. But with new owners, who knows what will happen now.
Hey, maybe Weatherscan will get an upgrade! :P (sorry, I had to)

More than likely, they'll just leave it as is. Only change I could see is more of Cantore's narrations being added, if that hasn't already happened yet.

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #590 on: March 22, 2018, 11:41:14 PM »
Back when my market was served by Comcast, Weatherscan was (until Time Warner Cable's takeover in September 2006) also on a lower tier here in Dallas/Fort Worth. Albeit on channel 99, but anyone with standard analog cable could still receive it.

Offline Jonathon

• View Profile
« Reply #591 on: June 20, 2018, 06:24:19 PM »
Came across a transcript of a recent Comcast shareholders meeting where the CEO was asked if Weatherscan would return to Xfinity headends:

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4180780-comcast-corp-cmcsa-ceo-brian-roberts-hosts-annual-meeting-shareholders-transcript

The juicy quote from the meeting (for those who don't want to go thru six pages):

Quote from: SeekingAlpha / Comcast Corp.
Arthur Block

Next question. In view of the recent unusual weather and the fact that the weather channel fails to provide radar and other important local information, why can’t Comcast restore weather scan to its viewers? Seeing a crawler with local information is not adequate.

Brian Roberts

Thank you for your comment. I will pass it on to our cable division. But I don’t believe we have plans to return on weather scan at this time but thanks for the input.

Hey, at least it got a mention...although we all knew what answer to expect. :P

Offline TWCKelby

• Owner of the TWC Archive wiki
  • Owner of an IS1 and I2 or something
    • View Profile
    • TWC Archive - An Open TWC Wiki
  • Cable Provider: Blue Ridge Comm.
  • HD Channel #: 621
  • HD WxStar ID #: 11624
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23268
  • WxScan Ch. #: 218
  • WxScan ID #: 19874
« Reply #592 on: April 22, 2020, 07:55:10 PM »
The Weatherscan unit here on Blue Ridge got a new logo for the first time since early 2015 as of the 20th. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the placement of it though

Offline YoshiSTAR_41

• Yoshi! Yoshi!!!
  • You are watching the YoshiSTAR Channel, Channel 41
    • View Profile
    • YouTube channel:
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 34
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22198
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
  • WxScan ID #: 20761
« Reply #593 on: April 23, 2020, 11:51:05 AM »
The Weatherscan unit here on Blue Ridge got a new logo for the first time since early 2015 as of the 20th. I'm not entirely sure how I feel about the placement of it though

:O There are three different Blue Ridge logos? O_O
What were the other Blue Ridge logos (before 2015, please)?

Offline Evan2015

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 29, 2020, 01:17:48 PM »
Looks like we might be able to add another unit or two to the list of those still in operation. Suddenlink’s lineup in Prestonsburg, KY (Floyd County, well out east), as well as in Logan, WV (just across the border) both have Weatherscan still listed as available. No word on whether or not that’s the same unit, but would be nice to see another in operation here in the state! Since I’m based in eastern Kentucky now, I might try to see if I can’t try to snap a photo or two.

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #595 on: August 03, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
We can add Georgetown, SC to that list as well. I don’t think anyone else has discovered this one yet. This is the only picture of it I can find

Offline TWCBoy

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 312
  • SD Channel #: 12
« Reply #596 on: September 21, 2020, 12:06:37 AM »
Do you think you know what provider it is?

Offline crazybangles

• Proud fan of TWC (2014-Present)
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21809
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxScan ID #: 20753
« Reply #597 on: October 03, 2020, 12:40:21 PM »
I think it is a municipal provider.

Offline TWCKal

• View Profile
    • twc today forums
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • HD WxStar ID #: 33460
« Reply #598 on: March 27, 2021, 02:19:05 PM »
I think it is a municipal provider.
Does it still have it?

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 735
  • SD Channel #: 97
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23531
« Reply #599 on: June 06, 2021, 09:02:56 AM »
Are there any videos of "Weatherscan" displaying 2 "WEATHER BULLETIN" screens? I keep thinking there was one somewhere awhile back, but I wouldn't have any idea how to find it again, if it still exists.