May 11, 2024, 05:21:24 PM

Poll

Which design should be TWCT's new design?

season lover's design
1 (2.7%)
jtmal's design
12 (32.4%)
Al's design
5 (13.5%)
Billy's design
19 (51.4%)

Total Members Voted: 37

Author Topic: Vote For TWCT's New Design!  (Read 19566 times)

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Vote For TWCT's New Design!
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2008, 10:33:55 PM »
Alright, guys, I've done some serious thinking over the past few days, and I think that instead of using Billy's design at this time I'd like to try making my own design. I feel that it's my responsibility, since this is my site. Sometimes I get a little overwhelmed, intimidated even, at the thought of having to design a site with my meager skills. Unlike Matt I don't have a right hand man at my side to help with site design at my beckon. Hell, he doesn't even have to beckon. Tyler does it on his own quite often.

Billy, this is not personal. I love your work very much. I realize you may be very upset with me, and you have every right to be since you won the vote fair and square. But I hope that you'll eventually understand.  B)

Bottom line: I just think its something that I need and want to learn to do myself. Its just my nature. I hate depending on others for anything I could do myself.  :biggrin:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #61 on: November 15, 2008, 10:45:55 PM »
 :blink:
^ All I can really say. Good luck though. And I hope my tutorials help :)

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 15, 2008, 10:58:21 PM »

Trust me, they will be a tremendous help.  :biggrin:

I hope I haven't come off sounding unappreciative. Nothing could be further from the truth. You guys have no idea just how much I appreciate all your help.  B)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2008, 11:07:44 PM »

Trust me, they will be a tremendous help.  :biggrin:

I hope I haven't come off sounding unappreciative. Nothing could be further from the truth. You guys have no idea just how much I appreciate all your help.  B)

I'm figuring you may ask Billy for the logo, for some tips, etc. Everyone can help out with tips, and thus, we'd all have something contributed to the website. You never know.  :yes:

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2008, 11:20:01 PM »
I'm cool with it, Gary. I wasn't really expecting on winning the contest anyway, so my final design was thrown together rather quickly anyway. Just remember, we're here to help if you need it. B)
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2008, 11:28:01 PM »
You guys are great! 

Tips are always welcome, and, yes, Billy I'd like to use your logo I think. I'm not totally sure yet, but it's very likely.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2008, 10:53:08 AM »
Alright, after much agonizing, and a few feeble attempts of my own to create a new look for the site, I've changed my mind yet again in regards to which direction I'm going for a new design.

Let me first say that this may offend some people, but that's just going to have to be the way it is. The bottom line is that this is my site, and I have to do what I feel is in its best interest, even if it means overriding a democratically reached decision.

Sometimes these votes turn out such that it would be detrimental to the site to move forward with the decision reached. I believe this is one of those times. While I believe with every ounce of my heart that everyone's designs were superb (and far better than anything I could ever produce!), I don't believe that the best one won. Don't get me wrong, Billy's was a fine piece of artwork, be not confused. But by his own admission it was very rushed together because he did not expect to win the vote. And it showed. When I looked at it I could tell that it had been thrown together pretty quickly. Out of respect I kept quiet. But over the weekend I began feeling uncomfortable with the prospect of putting that design up for the world to see. I want the site to look as good as it possibly can. So then I thought I'd try my hand at it. It didn't take long for me to figure out that that was not the way to go either.

So what does all this mean? It means that I've decided to go with Jesse's design. I feel as though it has a very polished and professional look, and would be the best option. As I said, I realize this may anger some people or hurt some feelings, and i apologize for that, but I'm doing what I feel is in the best interest of the site and its future.

Finally, I'd like to say that I hope that everyone voted for the design that they truly felt was the best. I realize that Jesse's design does resemble what TWCC looked like back in 2003 and for some time prior to that. But that is a poor excuse to not vote for any design. If you could not look at all the entrants and vote fairly for the best, then you should not have voted at all. I feel confident, however, that the vote was nothing but fair and unbiased.

This decision is strictly business and not personal in any way.  Thanks for your understanding and cooperation. 

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2008, 02:20:55 PM »
I would have to figure out how I'm going to do this whole nav thing for IE because the menu system doesn't work for it at all... The workarounds aren't working either, so I'm going to have to resort to PHPifying something to hide the menu system for IE browsers and showing it for other browsers. This would mean for IE users, I would have to make a list on the main page. I just don't know how I'm gonna fix this. This is the only thing stopping me.

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2008, 02:32:22 PM »
I would have to figure out how I'm going to do this whole nav thing for IE because the menu system doesn't work for it at all... The workarounds aren't working either, so I'm going to have to resort to PHPifying something to hide the menu system for IE browsers and showing it for other browsers. This would mean for IE users, I would have to make a list on the main page. I just don't know how I'm gonna fix this. This is the only thing stopping me.

Hmmm...I wish I knew how to help...but that's just about beyond the scope of my knowledge. My PHP knowledge is pretty basic at best.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2008, 02:57:24 PM »
Hmmm...I wish I knew how to help...but that's just about beyond the scope of my knowledge. My PHP knowledge is pretty basic at best.
I'm keeping that in my mind while I PHPize the design so you can add pages as simple as possible.

Also, we still need to hold that contest for the new slogan for TWC Today, which hasn't been done yet.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 02:59:59 PM by jtmal0723 »

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2008, 03:21:13 PM »
I'm keeping that in my mind while I PHPize the design so you can add pages as simple as possible.

Also, we still need to hold that contest for the new slogan for TWC Today, which hasn't been done yet.

Yes, the slogan. Forgot about that.  :biggrin:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2008, 03:42:13 PM »
I've come up with a temporary workaround.... if the PHP code I've made detects you're using IE, it'll throw up 6 links up in the navbar, with one of them taking you to a sitemap page to get you to where you need to go. Firefox doesn't need this workaround, thus it won't be touched. I have to really think hard to fix this, and it won't be easy... when I'm done with the site, I'll email a ZIP with this temporary workaround.

Progress can be found here: http://jtmal.duffplace.com
« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 03:55:49 PM by jtmal0723 »

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2008, 04:49:26 PM »
Take your time. We're in no particular hurry.  :biggrin:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2008, 09:59:59 PM »
I figured out another temporary solution... if PHP detects "MSIE" in your user agent, it'll put a few, try 7-8, select links at the bottom of the page for your convenience while I try to figure out how the hell I'm going to make a permanent workaround for this damn menu, lol...

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2008, 11:05:58 PM »
Sounds good to me!  B)