May 13, 2024, 02:45:35 AM

Poll

Is cable TV going downhill these days?

Yes
75 (86.2%)
No
12 (13.8%)

Total Members Voted: 85

Author Topic: Is cable TV going downhill?  (Read 83031 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Is cable TV going downhill?
« Reply #75 on: March 01, 2010, 11:01:10 AM »
Honestly, is a 4 hour marathon of Roseanne from 2 to 6 in the mornings really necessary? No one even likes that show!  :censored:
Hey, I do! And obviously others do, otherwise they wouldn't show it.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #76 on: March 01, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »
The lineup has changed countless times in the past year. I must say I am extremely pleased that Nick at Nite brought back Family Matters. I love that show, and it is hilarious. They now apparently show it from 3 to 5 in the mornings, and again during WUWA from 6 to 7 in the AM EST. They also brought back the Cosby show, which airs in the 5 ET hour. Not as funny as Family Matters, but not a bad show. AFAIK, they alternate between Glenn Martin ( :footinmouth: ) and MIM at 8, with MIM thru 9. Then Everybody Hates Chris, then George Lopez (ftw :biggrin: ) and then the Nanny. Outside of Glenn Martin, Malcolm in the Middle, and the Nanny, I like the lineup at the moment. Still not happy I haven't seen Home Improvement since early October.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 01, 2010, 09:08:57 PM »
Aaron, Home Improvement airs on TV Land now weeknights at 9. I don't get why they're showing that show when shows older than HI (Cosby Show, Family Matters, and the Nanny) are airing on Nick.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #78 on: March 01, 2010, 09:37:53 PM »
Aaron, Home Improvement airs on TV Land now weeknights at 9. I don't get why they're showing that show when shows older than HI (Cosby Show, Family Matters, and the Nanny) are airing on Nick.
Thanks for letting me know that. I have been needing to see the show again and it's bittersweet :P
Actually, Family Matters is the same age as Home Improvement, and actually had the same season years (1991-1999, afaik)
TWC in...

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:24 PM »
The lineup has changed countless times in the past year. I must say I am extremely pleased that Nick at Nite brought back Family Matters. I love that show, and it is hilarious. They now apparently show it from 3 to 5 in the mornings, and again during WUWA from 6 to 7 in the AM EST. They also brought back the Cosby show, which airs in the 5 ET hour. Not as funny as Family Matters, but not a bad show. AFAIK, they alternate between Glenn Martin ( :footinmouth: ) and MIM at 8, with MIM thru 9. Then Everybody Hates Chris, then George Lopez (ftw :biggrin: ) and then the Nanny. Outside of Glenn Martin, Malcolm in the Middle, and the Nanny, I like the lineup at the moment. Still not happy I haven't seen Home Improvement since early October.
I don't mind the Nanny, and MITM is pretty cool. But I agree about Glenn Martin, that show is a joke.  :hammer: I just recently started watching Family Matters at 6 and find it very hilarious. :yes:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #80 on: March 01, 2010, 09:45:17 PM »
I don't mind the Nanny, and MITM is pretty cool. But I agree about Glenn Martin, that show is a joke.  :hammer: I just recently started watching Family Matters at 6 and find it very hilarious. :yes:
Family Matters and Malcolm are some of my favourite shows. I used to watch them on FOX but never cared for them on Nick @ nite. I also don't like Glenn Martin. That show makes no sense

Offline wxntrafficfan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #81 on: March 01, 2010, 10:13:19 PM »
Idk why I said I didn't care for the Nanny... I love how Niles and CC interact :P
TWC in...

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #82 on: March 02, 2010, 06:44:03 AM »
Thanks for letting me know that. I have been needing to see the show again and it's bittersweet :P
Actually, Family Matters is the same age as Home Improvement, and actually had the same season years (1991-1999, afaik)
Family Matters aired from 1989-1998, Home Improvement was from 1991-1999

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #83 on: March 02, 2010, 10:46:45 AM »
Nick At Nite's current lineup is terrible IMO. There's not a single show that's even worth watching when nothing else is on, let alone every night.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
« Reply #84 on: March 02, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
Nick At Nite's current lineup is terrible IMO. There's not a single show that's even worth watching when nothing else is on, let alone every night.

Agreed. Whose idea was it that George Lopez and Malcolm in the Middle belong on Nick at Nite in the first place? The shows aren't old or classic in any way, at least as far as I'm concerned...even Home Improvement was more fitting...at least it was from a different decade! LOL.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2010, 11:40:01 PM »
I am so sick of George Lopez. I never thought that show was funny

Offline XL FANIC

• The Biggest 30 Rock Fan EVER!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 32163
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2011, 10:59:47 AM »
Read something online that Analog Cable will be supported until 2012
Watch 30 Rock on Comedy Central. That way you can be like Liz.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
Read something online that Analog Cable will be supported until 2012
Analog cable will be supported for however long cable companies want it to be. There is no set date by the FCC or any other regulatory agencies for it's discontinuation.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

twci89

« Reply #88 on: June 30, 2011, 04:26:47 PM »
Here's some more noticeble cable channels that I think jumped the shark:

18. Spike TV (formaly TNN -- The Nashville Network). Reason why: too much UFC, TNA, and all that other wresleling garbage! Its just as bad as the WWE! So much for the first ever "Men's network!"

19. QVC. Reason why: the internet ruining home shopping on TV. Back in the '80s and '90s (before the internet), home shopping channels like QVC and HSN was one of the best places to order items. Even back then, it was fun to watch too. Even I used to watch QVC alot back in the late '90s, early '00s.  :rolleyes:

20. HSN. Reason why: same thing as QVC. Even I use to watch HSN alot too back when I was little.

21. BET. Reason why: raceism. African Americans needs to stop listing to that rap music and listen to the music on TWC!  I even bet famous Afican Americans (like Barack Obama and Jessie Jackson) are tuning out BET too.

22. AMC. Reason why: Airing post-2000 movies (2000-present day). So whats next for American Movie Classics? Recently released movies from earlier this year? Plus watching movies on basic cable sucks, because its edited and they would always would have those annoying commercial breaks durring the movie!

23. ABC Family (formaly CBN Family, The Family Channel, Fox Family). Reason why: when Disney bought out the station after when Fox sold it. Like the Disney Channel, alot of the programming from ABC Family sucks these days.

24. Lifetime. Reason why: "Television for women." Don't expect to see Lifetime to be the the new home for the Super Bowl. :whistling:

25. Bravo. Reason why: Another chick channel. No affence of course.

26. Food Network. Reason why: the obeasity epicdemic. Stop eating making all of those greasy foods!

27. Disney Channel/Toon Disney. Reason why: day one. I hate Disney! They are an monopoly! :furious: Plus they even took all of the good cartoons away from both The CW and Cartoon Network. That's Warner Brothers property! Disney is supose to hate Warner Brothers (hence Daffy Duck and Donald Duck -- othough no releation).

28. TLC. Reason why: no more education shows. Don't ever they know what "E/I" is?  :wacko:

29. FSN. Reason why: when old man Rupert Merdoct just had to buyout every regional sports network. He even owns FSN Midwest which is our regional FSN affiliate! Fox doesn't know sports!

30. Oxygen. Reason why: Yet another chick channel. NBC Universial should of not bought out the channel and should of not aired the Olympics on it. I think Disney would of been a better choice because, they aready "F"ed-up ABC. They already ruined one of the major network televison stations and started to air more chick shows on ABC (like Desperite Housewifes and Super Nanny). I hope NBC woun't ruin TWC!

31. Golf Channel. Reason why: day one. I rather watch pro football or pro baseball! P.S. Go St. Louis Cardinals! P.P.S. Also, go Rams!  :biggrin:

32. SoapNet. Reason why: yet another chick channel. I even herd that they are rarely airing any recent soap oprea episodes from the network television stations (like As The World Turns and Day of Our Lives).

33. Style. Reason why: day one. Plus its not another channel that appeals me.

So there you have it. Even Comcast just had to add fuel to the fire. All of us are sick and tired of watching crappy shows on a good channel or even crappy channels that no one is watching. And lets not forget a whopping $70.00 a month just for basic cable!  :clap:

The only channels that I could name that haven't jumped the shark are:
  • MSNBC
  • C-SPAN
  • C-SPAN 2
  • C-SPAN 3
  • NFL Network
  • Boomerang
  • All premium cable channels (like HBO and Cinemax)
Let's hope they continue staying strong.  ;)
  What about Turner classic movies? They have never jumped the shark!

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2011, 05:05:49 PM »
What about Turner classic movies? They have never jumped the shark!
I almost forgot about TCM. Thanks for reminding me.
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022