March 28, 2024, 06:23:28 AM

Author Topic: VZ FiOS dropped TWC  (Read 31562 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: VZ FiOS dropped TWC
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 08:59:37 PM »
If TWC isn't needed anymore because of the internet, why would they replace it with AccuWeather?

I really wish cable channels would stop repeating the lie that such and such cable company decided to drop us. If a cable company's contract with you runs out, they legally cannot continue to air your programming. Likewise, if a cable company has a contract with you, they can't drop you. You have a contract. Of course, it's just a ploy to get you mad at your cable company, even though the channel is most likely asking for more money, and the cable company doesn't want to push the increase on to the consumer.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 10:29:40 PM »
That's not gonna stop the bleeding, the damage is already done. I'm not saying this to be arrogant or snarky, but I think TWC (on the television side, not the website) days are numbered imo. The network is not sustainable long term in the condition it's in currently. They're competing against some stiff competition (internet). Folks don't have time to sit around and wait every 10 minutes for a local forecast and they sure as heck don't have time to wait around for a OCM to maybe mention what the weather is like in their city. It's a losing battle. The same goes for WN and what sounds like a complete joke Accuweather Channel. Kinda ironic that TWC is getting a taste of their own medicine in this way since part of the reason TWC became famous/popular in the first place was because people didn't have time to wait around half an hour or so for a weather forecast from the local news so they turned to TWC to get a faster/frequent forecast.

You make a couple of good points, Tavores.  It's kind of interesting to see how "impatient" we've become, especially with newer technology.  Back then, I'm sure the every 10-minute Local Forecast was a "thing of the future."  Now, why wait 10 minutes (or even longer during long-form) to see my local forecast which goes too fast and severely lacks in information when I can just look up the weather on my computer, phone, tablet, whatever?  I understand WAAT exists, but that still doesn't provide enough information.

Another thing is that TWC doesn't (and honestly can't) talk about every single city or town affected during a major weather event.  Take this past snowstorm, for example.  All the way from Dallas to the Northeast were people affected, but TWC focused more on the hardest-hit areas like Kentucky and only brushed over the other areas.  Why would I watch TWC wanting to see an OCM not ever (or only briefly) mention my weather when I could get much more up-to-date information from social media or a local news station?

If TWC isn't needed anymore because of the internet, why would they replace it with AccuWeather?

I really wish cable channels would stop repeating the lie that such and such cable company decided to drop us. If a cable company's contract with you runs out, they legally cannot continue to air your programming. Likewise, if a cable company has a contract with you, they can't drop you. You have a contract. Of course, it's just a ploy to get you mad at your cable company, even though the channel is most likely asking for more money, and the cable company doesn't want to push the increase on to the consumer.

I'm sure some of the population who grew up with TWC (obviously not us :P) still watch TWC and refer to it for their weather as that's what they're most used to.  Same thing with DirecTV, replacing TWC with WeatherNation seemed to spark a huge outcry, so removing a "weather channel" completely from the lineup would probably be even worse.

I am also tired of cable channels complaining that a company has "dropped" them.  You're right, Matt.  In this case and every case, the Verizon FiOS contract with TWC ended, and Verizon simply chose not to renew it.  I understand the verb "drop" can mean "removed," which is essentially what happened.  But it's not like Verizon FiOS broke their contract with TWC and abruptly removed the channel for no reason.

When an OCMs contract is not renewed next time, I want them to say that TWC "dropped" them and to retaliate by calling TWC and demanding they bring them back. ;)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:32:16 PM by WeatherWitness »

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
I saw Tyler's tweet on a boston.com news story about this...
Can you link me?

Offline TampaMillTWC88

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 11:10:43 PM »
Accuweather has been an accudud so far. All they seem to focus on is the Northeast. And no live or local coverage. I am missing TWC for sure, even in spite of how reality-centric it had become. At least you could still depend on the LOT8s. BTW, I noticed they have a Stephanie Abrams lookalike!  :blink:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:18:21 PM by TampaMillTWC88 »
Hakeem: What's up, Jetsons!
Frank Mitchell: Jetsons?
Hakeem: Yeah, you and George got the same haircut.

- From "Moesha"

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 11:22:05 PM »

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2015, 11:34:55 PM »
The Accuweather channel reminds me of The Weather Network in Canada. Although I prefer Accuweather over Weather Nation because the talents are more upbeat. It's like watching a nightly weather report, plus they have maps that fly and tilt like TWC does. The biggest complaint is that they don't have full Local forecasts, just 30 second radar maps with music and it's pre recorded. Accuweather has weather experts perfectly capable of live coverage. I say they have real potential if some fixes were to happen. Although I expect TWC to return along side with Accuweather sometime in the future.

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 09:51:12 AM »
TWC just added a new ad to Wunderground's new Storm app. Hopefully TWC doesn't start the "DirecTV War" all over again.  :rolleyes: Expect more ads or commercials. I included a screenshot.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 10:17:11 AM »
The website used when DTV removed TWC after the contract expired is back for Verizon.
http://www.keeptheweatherchannel.com

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 10:24:51 AM »
The website used when DTV removed TWC after the contract expired is back for Verizon.

Oh brother. :rolleyes: And of course there are a bunch of ignorant (ie. don't know any better, not necessarily stupid) viewers exclusively blaming Verizon. At least TWC isn't asking them to contact their congressperson.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 10:40:16 AM »
Statement from The Weather Channel on Verizon FiOS:

"We were disappointed when late yesterday, March 9, Verizon FiOS dropped The Weather Channel from their lineup while our companies continued to be in active conversations regarding a contract renewal. FiOS customers have enjoyed a bundle of services from The Weather Channel including the network, WeatherScan, On Demand, a Weather Widget and streaming on mobile devices.

During a winter with record-breaking storms and severe weather, The Weather Channel responded with non-stop live coverage, including the ongoing presence of our crews reporting live from hard-hit communities within the Verizon FiOS footprint. This coverage resulted in The Weather Channel being the only major cable network to grow in February.

After recently renewing carriage agreements with NCTC, Cox and Time Warner Cable, we are surprised Verizon FiOS would deny their subscribers access to the best live weather coverage and expertise that only The Weather Channel can provide. They have made it clear to us that they no longer wish to negotiate​,​ despite our desire to continue to serve their subscribers. We urge FiOS customers to contact Verizon and voice their displeasure."

In my opinion, I think Verizon did the right thing but AccuWeather needs to improve as it's launch didn't go too well. It seems judging by the comments that the launch was rushed.

If TWC wants to regain there reputation, they need to get rid of their CEO David Kenny. He is mainly responsible for the rapid decline of TWC since 2012 by replacing live weather news and weather documentaries with lame non-weather reality shows as well as replacing full-time veteran OCMs with Freelancers.
Does TWC mean they had "Non Stop Coverage" ALL Winter??? If so, that's another NBC Lie!

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 11:06:38 AM »
"The Weather Channel responded with non-stop live coverage".
Not true. As documented here,
https://twctodayforums.com/forums/programming/pathetic-twc-not-showing-weather-tonight/msg192435/#new
TWC was skipping overnight coverage of winter storms.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 01:00:05 PM »

Oh brother. :rolleyes: And of course there are a bunch of ignorant (ie. don't know any better, not necessarily stupid) viewers exclusively blaming Verizon. At least TWC isn't asking them to contact their congressperson.

Give it time, it's coming... :lol:

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Steve-O

• Diggin' storms since 1982
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 1823
  • SD Channel #: 23
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24778
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a

Offline Jacoby1218

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 1024
  • HD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2015, 11:58:33 AM »
In Norfolk, VA the feed for AccuWeather HD went down. Anyone else having this problem, or just me?

Offline Weatherman99

• TWC was great! How about now?
    • View Profile
    • Weatherman99 on YouTube
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 08:18:25 PM »
In Norfolk, VA the feed for AccuWeather HD went down. Anyone else having this problem, or just me?
My feed is just fine  :dunno: