April 25, 2024, 10:38:14 AM

Author Topic: Comcast Sucks.  (Read 74895 times)

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Comcast Sucks.
« Reply #285 on: August 12, 2010, 09:12:30 PM »
I don't understand what the problem is.  So long as people are prepared, then there's no problem at all.

In my family, most of the TVs already had digital cable boxes.  Those that didn't were equipped with the free digital converter boxes from Comcast before the cut-off date, so our house never lost service on any of its TVs.

For starters, they changed the cutoff date from 8/17 to 8/10.  My sister was notified by mail, but we never were.  Hooked it all up today... two of our boxes work, one doesn't.  Personally, my picture quality was better before than it is now.  And the ultimate insult: I'm only getting satellite forecasts on TWC... I'm hoping it's just an outage.

And besides, I was very happy with what I had.  It irritates me when people can't leave well enough alone. 

Is this really being mandated by the federal government?  They suck more than Comcast.   :censored:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:03:26 PM by TWCC_DJK5555 »
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 12, 2010, 10:17:25 PM »
This "digital migration" is a complete disaster.  EVERYBODY is pissed, I've never seen anything like it.
Agreed. It adds to your bill, contributes wire clutter, and the signal gets blurry at times. <_<

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #287 on: August 13, 2010, 02:02:25 AM »
This "digital migration" is a complete disaster.  EVERYBODY is pissed, I've never seen anything like it.

I don't understand what the problem is.  So long as people are prepared, then there's no problem at all.

In my family, most of the TVs already had digital cable boxes.  Those that didn't were equipped with the free digital converter boxes from Comcast before the cut-off date, so our house never lost service on any of its TVs.
I agree. People get all bent out of shape because they actually have to change something. Its like the people having to upgrade when the OTA signals went digital

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #288 on: August 13, 2010, 11:27:46 AM »
People get all bent out of shape because they actually have to change something.

You just hit the nail on the head!  :hammer:

It doesn't matter what kind of change it is, or how incredibly beneficial it will be - there are just some people out there who are categorically opposed to any kind of change whatsoever, and they'll always view it as a bad thing.

Offline TWCC_DJK5555

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21805
« Reply #289 on: August 13, 2010, 08:43:38 PM »
the signal gets blurry at times. <_<

I've had  people who upgraded 6 months ago tell me that.

I AM a bit of a Technophobe, but I would'nt be so irate if it went smoother, or if people in Comcast's customer service/tech support actually knew what they were talking about.   :wacko:

I have yet to see one benefit to this.
Men of war make peace

Men of peace make war

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2010, 12:13:59 AM »

I AM a bit of a Technophobe, but I would'nt be so irate if it went smoother, or if people in Comcast's customer service/tech support actually knew what they were talking about.   :wacko:

Customer support is key in transitions like this! Comcast hasn't been the gold star winner in that category! haha

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2010, 02:17:33 AM »

Customer support is key in transitions like this! Comcast hasn't been the gold star winner in that category! haha
For me, the biggest thing that pisses me off with this transition is activating the equipment, and the problems with the equipment. I set up a Motorola DCH100 for my neighbors, and Comcast decided to screw up yet again with the M-Card I believe... so it kept flashing this red box with a string of errors and memory references... but oh well. I'll be open to change.

And one thing with Comcast is that they try to suck every dime and nickel out of you. They are charging us 8 dollars to rent a box. Sure, not that bad, but for one of the crappiest packages that they can give us (no HD), it totals up to 100$ a month. To add the HD service, they charge 15-20$ here. Ohh, how much I hate money :hmm:

And aside from that, I bought a new cable box from them to replace the DTA I have on my TV in the basement. I most certainly hope it isn't this one (look at attached picture). I want a clock on it! lol

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:36 AM »

For me, the biggest thing that pisses me off with this transition is activating the equipment, and the problems with the equipment. I set up a Motorola DCH100 for my neighbors, and Comcast decided to screw up yet again with the M-Card I believe... so it kept flashing this red box with a string of errors and memory references... but oh well. I'll be open to change.

And one thing with Comcast is that they try to suck every dime and nickel out of you. They are charging us 8 dollars to rent a box. Sure, not that bad, but for one of the crappiest packages that they can give us (no HD), it totals up to 100$ a month. To add the HD service, they charge 15-20$ here. Ohh, how much I hate money :hmm:

And aside from that, I bought a new cable box from them to replace the DTA I have on my TV in the basement. I most certainly hope it isn't this one (look at attached picture). I want a clock on it! lol
:blink: My comcast only charges $6 an outlet for HD capabilities.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #293 on: August 14, 2010, 11:04:12 AM »

You should be getting 1 SD box + 2 DTAs for free, then additional boxes at the additional outlet fee (here it's $8/mo).  HD service here is only $7/mo as well (used to be $7/outlet, but that changed within the last couple months).  Also your bill shouldn't be $100/mo on the basic package without HD - unless you have Internet with them.  My current bill is $137 with the Starter+Internet bundle, $9.99 Preferred promotion, and HD (1 DTA/1 HD box, so no additional outlet fees).

And for all things holy, don't rent a modem from Comcast.  Spend the $50 or so up front and buy your own box.  10 months and you've already paid for it.

You will be getting the same STAR with the DTA/boxes as you had before.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:05:50 AM by tpirfan28 »

Offline curtjr4

• View Profile
    • My Youtube
  • SD Channel #: 16
  • WxStar Version: Junior
« Reply #294 on: August 14, 2010, 05:17:50 PM »

You should be getting 1 SD box + 2 DTAs for free, then additional boxes at the additional outlet fee (here it's $8/mo).  HD service here is only $7/mo as well (used to be $7/outlet, but that changed within the last couple months).  Also your bill shouldn't be $100/mo on the basic package without HD - unless you have Internet with them.  My current bill is $137 with the Starter+Internet bundle, $9.99 Preferred promotion, and HD (1 DTA/1 HD box, so no additional outlet fees).

And for all things holy, don't rent a modem from Comcast.  Spend the $50 or so up front and buy your own box.  10 months and you've already paid for it.

Never have I said that I wouldn't be getting the same STAR :P

Anyways, this is how much they are charging me...

Code: [Select]
Digital Cable
 - Digital Preferred
 - On Demand
$77.93

Sports
 - Entertainment Tier
$7.95

Digital Adapter
 - Quantity: 2
$0.00

Equipment Fee
 - Digital Box SD (2)
$15.90

Cable Television Tax
 - Franchise Fee $5.15
 - FCC Regulatory Fee $0.08
 - MI Regulatory Fee $0.02
$5.95

This all totals up to $107.93. Ohh what a ripoff... but what ever. Cheaper then U-Verse... and I am shocked that Michigan didn't tax the crap out of it. But the HD price here is a ripoff... I hear that other areas will often get HD for FREE, or for a low price like $5-10.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 15, 2010, 04:57:14 AM »

Never have I said that I wouldn't be getting the same STAR :P

Anyways, this is how much they are charging me...

Code: [Select]
Digital Cable
 - Digital Preferred
 - On Demand
$77.93

Sports
 - Entertainment Tier
$7.95

Digital Adapter
 - Quantity: 2
$0.00

Equipment Fee
 - Digital Box SD (2)
$15.90

Cable Television Tax
 - Franchise Fee $5.15
 - FCC Regulatory Fee $0.08
 - MI Regulatory Fee $0.02
$5.95

This all totals up to $107.93. Ohh what a ripoff... but what ever. Cheaper then U-Verse... and I am shocked that Michigan didn't tax the crap out of it. But the HD price here is a ripoff... I hear that other areas will often get HD for FREE, or for a low price like $5-10.
OK. Here's how I would help you out here.... a) cancel the sports package. It's a ripoff as it is, and you can find streams of any game online for free if you so desperately need it. b) I would call Comcast's customer retentions department and ask what promotions they are offering. Typical promotions last 6 months. At the end of the 5th month is when you call back and ask for another promotional package. This is assuming you're a valued customer and that you're always paid on time, they should have no problem.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 16, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
I don't see the need for a sports package... most sports can be viewed on the big 3 networks and ESPN anyway.

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 16, 2010, 10:17:41 AM »
I don't see the need for a sports package... most sports can be viewed on the big 3 networks and ESPN anyway.
or streamed "for free" online... when I say "for free," I mean someone is streaming it from their house.

Offline tpirfan28

• Ultimate Member
  • Site Designer Extraordinare!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #298 on: August 18, 2010, 08:36:42 AM »
Equipment Fee
 - Digital Box SD (2)
$15.90
This can't be right, unless they are DVRs.  Looks like you're being billed for two additional outlet fees when you should only have 1 - and it shouldn't be $16 (more like $8).  Dump the Sports pack and you're at just over $90.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #299 on: August 18, 2010, 10:48:40 AM »
Has anyone's Comcast Logo been updated to a Xfinity TV Logo?

my area got it this morning *Before & After Attached
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 10:56:30 AM by gt1racer »