April 27, 2024, 09:57:42 AM

Poll

Which cable provider would you like to have?

Comcast (I would imagine 0 replies to this one)
1 (3.2%)
Charter
2 (6.5%)
Cox Communications
0 (0%)
Cablevision
2 (6.5%)
Verizon FiOS
10 (32.3%)
Time Warner Cable
3 (9.7%)
AT&T U-Verse
0 (0%)
Other (if so, please name)
3 (9.7%)
I like the cable provider I have)
10 (32.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Author Topic: Cable Provider?  (Read 6834 times)

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
Re: Cable Provider?
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2009, 07:47:21 PM »
I was more or less fine with Comcast, until I found out today that they are slacking off on the TV listings.

For example, instead of "The Simpsons", it's simply listed as "Simpsons". They are doing that with almost every channel. All I can say is, what the  :censored:.
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline Lamarr

• View Profile
    • Lamarr's YouTube
  • SD Channel #: 41
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
I was more or less fine with Comcast, until I found out today that they are slacking off on the TV listings.

For example, instead of "The Simpsons", it's simply listed as "Simpsons". They are doing that with almost every channel. All I can say is, what the  :censored:.
I think that's a TV Guide thing. And also they are misspelling just simple words.
Like ESPN. It is saying Damn Sports instead of saying "Best Damn Sports Show Period". Even though I hate ESPN.

Levi Strauss Jeans- so comfortable, will make you run from the police.
Snotty nosed persnickety little rude ass bitch.  BLOG TV SCHEDULED TIMES: Fridays (10:00p)

Offline Gil

• Tool Man
  • Ultimate Member
  • Welcome to Macintosh
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2009, 09:26:50 PM »
I don't think TV guide has anything to do with it, other than the TV guide channel. :unsure:
~TWC forum member since 2005~
"It is hard to do positive things with ignorance and delusion."

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 09:38:24 PM »
TV Guide is their data provider.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
TV Guide is their data provider.
Even on their SA boxes? They don't have the blue TVG interface the newer boxes have.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2009, 09:50:37 PM »
Yes, it's still the same data, just presented differently (through GUI).

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2009, 09:55:09 PM »
And TV Guide's data comes from none other than Tribune Media Services! :pinch: The same as TiVo! I see nothing different. I don't see "The Simpsons" being shortened to "Simpsons"...

Offline CartoonJazzLover

• Ultimate Member
  • Former TWC Fan (2003-2011)
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 52
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2009, 01:42:55 PM »
I like the cable provider I has.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2009, 04:17:13 PM »
My cable choice would be either Verizon FiOS or Time Warner Cable, but I would need to check out Verizon FiOS before I could answer this one for sure.

Offline Lamarr

• View Profile
    • Lamarr's YouTube
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2009, 08:59:01 PM »
My cable choice would be either Verizon FiOS or Time Warner Cable, but I would need to check out Verizon FiOS before I could answer this one for sure.
Child boo, Time Warner Cable don't even care if you are in the DMA. They are cutting out ABC station WSOC and it's subsidiary WAXN in the city, which WSOC is licenced to Charlotte. WSOC told us on their website, that Time Warner Cable did not come to an reasonable agreement with WSOC/WAXN's management. Time Warner needs to go under, and FiOS needs to step up to the plate and come here, cos if the price is right, they got my business.

Snotty nosed persnickety little rude ass bitch.  BLOG TV SCHEDULED TIMES: Fridays (10:00p)

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2009, 09:04:37 PM »
Child boo, Time Warner Cable don't even care if you are in the DMA. They are cutting out ABC station WSOC and it's subsidiary WAXN in the city, which WSOC is licenced to Charlotte. WSOC told us on their website, that Time Warner Cable did not come to an reasonable agreement with WSOC/WAXN's management. Time Warner needs to go under, and FiOS needs to step up to the plate and come here, cos if the price is right, they got my business.
Lamarr, seriously? What the hell does that have to do with what Patrick said? He's simply stating he has to do research to see if FiOS, for his needs, is a viable alternative for him. Your reply was uncalled for.

Offline Lamarr

• View Profile
    • Lamarr's YouTube
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2009, 09:08:55 PM »
Lamarr, seriously? What the hell does that have to do with what Patrick said? He's simply stating he has to do research to see if FiOS, for his needs, is a viable alternative for him. Your reply was uncalled for.
That is quite sensible, knowing TIME WARNER CABLE IS CUTTING LOCAL CHANNELS. You will pay for things that you don't want, and the good things get cut. About 2 million people are getting the short end of the stick, including me. The short end of the stick is they are going up on their fees and also they are cutting channels that are Must Carry, by the order of the Federal Communications Commission.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 09:11:02 PM by Lamarr »

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2009, 09:24:35 PM »
There's obviously a way around that rule, otherwise they wouldn't be cutting that specific local channel. They wouldn't blatantly go against FCC Regulations.

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2009, 10:30:06 PM »
That is quite sensible, knowing TIME WARNER CABLE IS CUTTING LOCAL CHANNELS. You will pay for things that you don't want, and the good things get cut. About 2 million people are getting the short end of the stick, including me. The short end of the stick is they are going up on their fees and also they are cutting channels that are Must Carry, by the order of the Federal Communications Commission.
come on now, really?  :rolleyes: For a time back in late 2008, we lost Channel 4 here, a LIN Television local channel. Sure we were pissed, but LIN wanted to be payed a hefty fee...channel 4 also broadcasts over the airways, so it is carried for free on every cable provider, as is Channel 2, 3, and 7...LIn obviously eventually gave in and we have Channel 4 back. YOU sir are looking at one side of the story, if it's a local station its broadcast as well, so the calbe companies by law dont have to pay them  ;) the local channel(ie its parent company) is probably asking for an unreasonable fee, and TWC will not pay them...next time look for both sides of the story.. :P