April 16, 2024, 12:47:47 AM

Author Topic: Weather Channel chief paints rosy company forecast  (Read 4167 times)

Offline Nick

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 519
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28765
  • SD Channel #: 19
  • SD WxStar ID #: 25617
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Weather Channel chief paints rosy company forecast
« on: May 02, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
"Mike Kelly oversees a cable network in nearly every one of the nation's 100-million cable homes and weather.com, a website with more than 40 million monthly visitors. Annual revenues top $500 million and 'digital offerings are going through the roof.'"

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/apr/28/business/la-fi-ct-weather-facetime-20110428

I like this part:

"People tune in, hear the forecast and go. How do you get them to stick around longer?

Time spent viewing is the challenge. When you tune into news, you want to find out what happened. Most people who check on weather are really doing it to support their lifestyle, so I think we have a big opportunity to move more toward lifestyle programming."
My Classic Weather Channel on Youtube
www.youtube.com/user/hookecho80

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: Weather Channel chief paints rosy company forecast
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:17:13 PM »
"Most people who check on weather are really doing it to support their lifestyle, so I think we have a big opportunity to move more toward lifestyle programming."
Another executive that doesn't get it. Most people tune in for the WEATHER. So the solution is to put more WEATHER programming on. Get it? :club: :P
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 12:18:05 AM »
Lifestyle?  That's it!  I tune into The Weather Channel for my lifestyle, therefore, I want lifestyle programming! 
...Right....
------
I agree with Matt.  It's really not that hard to figure out why people tune into TWC.  :whistling:

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 01:54:11 AM »
I really can't understand the disconnect here. Are these executives just this out of tune with the world?

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2011, 06:37:45 PM »
I really can't understand the disconnect here. Are these executives just this out of tune with the world?

I think that's always the case.  Do you own "The Simpsons" on DVD?  The commentaries are very interesting to watch, and they producers often tell stories of what the network would like to do to the series.  ALL of them are the most STUPID ideas you can imagine.  However, fortunately for that show, they have it in their contract that, other than censorship issues, the network can't actually force an idea onto the show or retaliate if the producers ignore them altogether.

Sadly, though, it does seem to be true that network executives think they're so much better at planning and creating programming than the people who are actually trained to and being paid for that very thing.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 06:42:15 PM »
If they want more lifestyle stuff, isn't that what WS is for?
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:46:54 PM »

I think that's always the case.  Do you own "The Simpsons" on DVD?  The commentaries are very interesting to watch, and they producers often tell stories of what the network would like to do to the series.  ALL of them are the most STUPID ideas you can imagine.  However, fortunately for that show, they have it in their contract that, other than censorship issues, the network can't actually force an idea onto the show or retaliate if the producers ignore them altogether.

Sadly, though, it does seem to be true that network executives think they're so much better at planning and creating programming than the people who are actually trained to and being paid for that very thing.

I've noticed that in some of their commentaries I've listened to also. It's sad that these network executives believe they need to desperately fix things that aren't broken to begin with. That's why so many network have no decent depth in good quality.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2011, 09:10:27 AM »

I've noticed that in some of their commentaries I've listened to also. It's sad that these network executives believe they need to desperately fix things that aren't broken to begin with. That's why so many network have no decent depth in good quality.

...and why good shows get cancelled. See "Boston Public", "Dead Like Me", etc.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2011, 11:25:35 AM »
Yeah, it's a shame indeed. These overpaid executives just can't understand what they are doing