April 23, 2024, 10:18:39 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 267884 times)

Offline SamRichardson92

• Sam R
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 427
  • SD Channel #: 06
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #510 on: November 12, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
OK, I know this reply is going to get buried in about 20 others, but let me give some of my observations as I was able to sit down for awhile and watch.

First, I noticed that the LOT8s for the SD and HD feed are actually slightly different! :o  For example, the "IS2" did not give an hourly forecast whereas the SD one did.  I guess this would make sense if they are still running on two different platforms (IS and IS2).  Also, I know someone said they weren't seeing a Weather Bulletin, but I am for the Hard Freeze Warning which is in effect.  I am not, however, seeing a warning crawl, but I thought those were only for tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, and flash floods?

Second, as I said earlier, Jim's narration is still on the IS2.  The IS, however, has no narration.  I know this was mentioned as a bug to be fixed in the future; I'm assuming the IS in SD will probably have Jim's voice as well.

Third, also as I said earlier, COX is not letterboxing the SD feed.  Thus, there is not that right sidebar on the SD feed - just the lower bar.  I wish they would just go ahead and letterbox it.

Fourth, I guess TWC doesn't think OKC has a good sense of humor, because all I have seen on the welcome screen is "Hello Oklahoma City, This is Your Weather."

Fifth, as a major disclaimer, depending on your cable provider, they may choose to show a local commercial for your area only, thus disrupting WAAT.  For example, during the commercial break, an Oklahoma-specific AARP commercial showed.  Obviously, there is no way around this, as this is the cable provider's doing, but just thought I would let some of you know in case WAAT disappears for a commercial or two.

Overall, I think they have done a good job.  I just feel like the LOT8s goes WAY to fast.  Still one-minute locals I guess... :(

Yea the should letterbox the SD feed.  Yea, the local commercial's interupting WATT can be annoying.. but I am sure they will find a way around this eventually.. What I've noticed.. my LF is having some serious audio issues.. Like near the end the song completely stops and then comes back in short bursts :/ :blushing:

Offline SamRichardson92

• Sam R
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 427
  • SD Channel #: 06
« Reply #511 on: November 12, 2013, 12:41:30 PM »
Is the TWC logo going to stay black on the LOT8's? Seems odd it's not TWC blue.

:no: :footinmouth:That would look Terrible :no: :footinmouth:

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #512 on: November 12, 2013, 12:41:41 PM »
OK, I know this reply is going to get buried in about 20 others, but let me give some of my observations as I was able to sit down for awhile and watch.

First, I noticed that the LOT8s for the SD and HD feed are actually slightly different! :o  For example, the "IS2" did not give an hourly forecast whereas the SD one did.  I guess this would make sense if they are still running on two different platforms (IS and IS2).  Also, I know someone said they weren't seeing a Weather Bulletin, but I am for the Hard Freeze Warning which is in effect.  I am not, however, seeing a warning crawl, but I thought those were only for tornadoes, severe thunderstorms, and flash floods?

Second, as I said earlier, Jim's narration is still on the IS2.  The IS, however, has no narration.  I know this was mentioned as a bug to be fixed in the future; I'm assuming the IS in SD will probably have Jim's voice as well.

Third, also as I said earlier, COX is not letterboxing the SD feed.  Thus, there is not that right sidebar on the SD feed - just the lower bar.  I wish they would just go ahead and letterbox it.

Fourth, I guess TWC doesn't think OKC has a good sense of humor, because all I have seen on the welcome screen is "Hello Oklahoma City, This is Your Weather."

Fifth, as a major disclaimer, depending on your cable provider, they may choose to show a local commercial for your area only, thus disrupting WAAT.  For example, during the commercial break, an Oklahoma-specific AARP commercial showed.  Obviously, there is no way around this, as this is the cable provider's doing, but just thought I would let some of you know in case WAAT disappears for a commercial or two.

Overall, I think they have done a good job.  I just feel like the LOT8s goes WAY to fast.  Still one-minute locals I guess... :(
I haven't watched the SD LF, but my HD LF definitely has the hourly forecast. Xfinity in Chicago isn't letterboxing TWC either.
I'm probably in the minority, but I didn't/don't mind the background music during the live programming at all. As long as it's kept at a soft volume level.
I really don't mind it either. It doesn't seem like anything out of the ordinary, unless, of course, it gets too loud.

EDIT: To emphasize Andy's point, the SD and HD LDLs here have an entirely different set of secondary cities, which means I take back my earlier statement of cities being added.
SD: same as before relaunch (Chicago, North Aurora, Warrenville)
HD: Chicago, Cicero, Downers Grove, Joliet, Hinsdale, Elmhurst, Melrose Park
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:18:15 PM by Charismatic Applesauce »
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #513 on: November 12, 2013, 01:21:47 PM »
OK, my "observing" skills weren't so good before, but I am noticing some differences between the LOT8s for SD and HD (thus, the IS and IS2).  I just recorded the IS2 from :48 and IS from :08, but it was with my phone, so the quality is not very good.  Granted, these are at different points after the hour, so unless flavors have returned, there are some noticeable differences.  Yes, this is being really picky, but I find these differences interesting.

On the IS (SD), there are those jokes.  On the IS2 (HD), there are not.
On the IS, there is NO weather bulletin.  On the IS2, there is.
On the IS, there is an ad crawl.  On the IS2, there is not.
On the IS, there are no narrations.  On the IS2, there are.

Different radar maps:
On the IS, the radar was the regional then the local (even with no precip).  On the IS2, there was only one radar that was zoomed way out to show the entire state of Oklahoma.

Different "Today" forecast:
On the IS, the Today with text was shown, then the hourly forecast.  On the IS2, there was no hourly forecast.  The Today with text, then Tonight with text was shown.

I don't know if these differences were intentional, or if they didn't expect anyone to scrutinize the differences this closely. :P

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #514 on: November 12, 2013, 01:27:24 PM »
Something odd: on the HD feed, the national LDL is on, but the sidebar is still showing local info.

Does anyone think there is some potential for the top part of the sidebar, where it says "You're Watching The Weather Channel"? Maybe they could some SportsCenter-esque thing where that part shows upcoming stories being discussed, or it could be used for additional weather info.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
« Reply #515 on: November 12, 2013, 01:27:50 PM »
I think it's safe to say that Vocal Music is done with.  :dance: because on http://feedback.weather.com/knowledgebase/articles/280702-is-there-new-music-during-local-on-the-8s- it says
Your Local on the 8s experience will now sound different. Every segment will begin with the The Weather Channel LOT8s new iconic sound.  Every intro will be followed by one of two custom Local on the 8s new iconic music that will help enhance the experience with an upbeat energetic sound. 

Still I'm going to miss the playlists.  :(

EDIT: Full Screen Local on the 8s will return twice an hour during long form!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:30:24 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27030
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
« Reply #516 on: November 12, 2013, 01:31:56 PM »
Something odd: on the HD feed, the national LDL is on, but the sidebar is still showing local info.

Does anyone think there is some potential for the top part of the sidebar, where it says "You're Watching The Weather Channel"? Maybe they could some SportsCenter-esque thing where that part shows upcoming stories being discussed, or it could be used for additional weather info.

They were doing that earlier in that space.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:34:46 PM by IceManNYR »

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 12, 2013, 01:38:21 PM »

That was supposed to be for the "rundown" on what's coming up next (like SportsCenter), but for some reason, it's not working anymore. :blink:

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 12, 2013, 01:46:24 PM »
The only thing I find odd is, while they are now formatting video and graphics for 16:9 the HD National LOT8's is formatted for 4:3 with the unused space on the right.
Is the LOT8's on the IS2 using the full space?

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #519 on: November 12, 2013, 01:47:58 PM »
Can someone confirm this with me? I just read a user's post on TWC's Facebook page:

I love the addition of the song and artist on the screen when going to local 8's. finally we don't have to rush to our device to Shazam it! The rest on the other hand..undecided.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 12, 2013, 01:51:18 PM »
Can someone confirm this with me? I just read a user's post on TWC's Facebook page:

I love the addition of the song and artist on the screen when going to local 8's. finally we don't have to rush to our device to Shazam it! The rest on the other hand..undecided.

Right before they go to a commercial break, they are showing a live cam shot of a skyline (is it Atlanta?) and playing a song to accompany it.  The name of the song and artist are on the bottom of the screen.

Offline brandonmahaffey85

• Avid Weather Channel Watcher
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 441
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22826
  • WxScan Ch. #: 17
« Reply #521 on: November 12, 2013, 02:03:24 PM »
Another funny "Hello Message" said "Tallahassee, Nobody puts Cantore in a corner"  :thrilled:
Brandon Mahaffey

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 57
« Reply #522 on: November 12, 2013, 02:11:59 PM »

Right before they go to a commercial break, they are showing a live cam shot of a skyline (is it Atlanta?) and playing a song to accompany it.  The name of the song and artist are on the bottom of the screen.
The city varies.  I saw Phoenix earlier this morning.

Offline IceManNYR

• View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 12, 2013, 02:13:48 PM »
On the national feed there is no weather information on screen during long form, just a white slightly transparent TWC logo on the bottom left and a 100% solid white show name on the bottom right.
They really don't need the show name on screen.
Going to break they are boxing in the commercials but there is no weather info just the white logo.
I'm guessing this is a bug and eventually they are going to have national forecasts on screen.

On the SD IS feed there is an LDL at the bottom of the screen giving current conditions for the local area.

The old LDL area animated show promo just ran going to break.

Offline micvachon

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 528
  • SD Channel #: 28
« Reply #524 on: November 12, 2013, 02:24:43 PM »
 :clap: Woohoo! Finally got the hourly forecast on the LOT8's. They eliminated the close up local radar and just used the regional radar. So I guess whenever the precip moves out of the immediate area, they will switch to just regional radar and add the hourly...vs. when precip is in the immediate area and having both regional and local radar and no hourly. Wish they could find a way to have hourly in there no matter what tho!