May 06, 2024, 03:54:37 PM

Author Topic: New Graphics coming to TWC  (Read 269182 times)

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: New Graphics coming to TWC
« Reply #135 on: October 08, 2013, 02:22:51 PM »
There's a topic on the weather all the time forum on bringing back the all instrumental local on the 8s format. Although a lot of people may think there done with the format, just give it a try. TWC said all votes count. So if you want the instrumental format back I suggest you vote for it. Sorry if this seems like spam but the instrumental format is a lot more pleasant to hear.www.weather.com/weatheallthetime. As far as weather scan I don't think they'll update anything because the 24/7 L bar format will probably take care of that.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 03:07:17 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #136 on: October 08, 2013, 04:50:04 PM »
There's a topic on the weather all the time forum on bringing back the all instrumental local on the 8s format. Although a lot of people may think there done with the format, just give it a try. TWC said all votes count. So if you want the instrumental format back I suggest you vote for it.www.weather.com/weatherallthetime.

Localonthe8s would tell you they had near 400 votes on the TWC Feedback forum about this same issue and they haven't changed a thing  :itsok: hopefully they do look into all the feedback because the vocals are rather annoying combined with narration.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #137 on: October 08, 2013, 04:56:50 PM »
There's a topic on the weather all the time forum on bringing back the all instrumental local on the 8s format. Although a lot of people may think there done with the format, just give it a try. TWC said all votes count. So if you want the instrumental format back I suggest you vote for it.www.weather.com/weatherallthetime.

Localonthe8s would tell you they had near 400 votes on the TWC Feedback forum about this same issue and they haven't changed a thing  :itsok: hopefully they do look into all the feedback because the vocals are rather annoying combined with narration.

More like 736 , http://feedback.weather.com/forums/131825-tv/suggestions/2731941-what-happened-to-the-smooth-jazz-on-the-local-on-t

Doubt they'll do anything at this point

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #138 on: October 08, 2013, 05:58:06 PM »
It seems like they make the changes no one wants rather than addressing the problems.  Instead of fixing the music, cutting back on longform, and preserving their talent, they tweak the icons, graphics, and website.

I'm not saying that the graphics didn't need improvement.  I like what I've seen of the new look so far.  However, the graphics weren't one of my main complaints with TWC.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:59:47 PM by Metarvo »

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #139 on: October 08, 2013, 06:14:00 PM »
Here is a Shortcut to the thread so you can skip the survey  ;)

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 08, 2013, 07:23:24 PM »
Graphically, I think this looks great.  A much needed refresh from the ground up, instead of the current mish-mash of a number of elements over the years.  It's a look that's very European in its execution, straddling a very fine line between news and entertainment, which is what TWC does these days, for better or for worse.

That said, there are a few elements that are surprising.  One is the news ticker that comes a few years after they stripped elements out of the LDL, saying people weren't looking for anything but weather down there (or more likely, didn't want to pay to renew the deal with Traffic Pulse).  But there's news and sports there in the example given - but the weather remains constant, so that's different, and perhaps that's why a ticker is there - moreso than just filling up a space.

A return of the L-Bar is a little surprising too.  It always seems like this element comes in and is then dropped soon thereafter.  Maybe it'll have a longer lease on life, since it appears to be cycling local info - before it was national on the side with the 33% LDL at the bottom, no?

Finally, an interesting choice on the maps in making them very minimalistic, almost a throwback to the days when forecast maps were mainly brown for land and blue for sea.  My guess into that decision is by reducing elements of the maps (topography, mountains and the like) and giving them a neutral color, it puts the weather element - watch areas, temperature ranges, radar - front and center.

While we're talking about minimalistic, I wonder if the icons will get a splash more of color on-air when this debuts.  They have it on the new website, and I think it would help break up what it admittedly a lot of grey.

Anywho, that's my two cents.  I look forward to seeing it in motion to see if it can be as smooth in execution as it is in the mock-up video.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 07:25:00 PM by mightynine »

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #141 on: October 09, 2013, 07:41:50 PM »
Ewww, those radar maps are ugly!!! But I like the rest of the graphics.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #142 on: October 10, 2013, 12:14:47 AM »
So basically TWC HD will have the closest Metropolitan Area for a Headend?
I'm curious about this too based on that video. Martin do you know anything about this?
Don't know specifics on that but my guess is the top 10/20 headends get the personalized looks with a generic for others. I'm not really aware of a headend with many region specific IS2s so its not going to be too big of a deal

If anyone was wondering, the name of the song playing in that video Martin posted is "I'm Alive" by Michael Franti.
And the song sucks because youtube removed part of it due to copyrights lol

Ha, tell me about it. The music video to that song is just bizarre...

Offline WeatherStarXL

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • HD Channel #: 753
  • HD WxStar ID #: I2xD
  • SD Channel #: 42
  • SD WxStar ID #: I2Jr
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2013, 05:06:48 AM »
There was word back in July that all of the existing legacy STAR units will soon be replaced with something new for the cable headends that still use the older STARs:

https://twctodayforums.com/forums/programming/new-graphics-coming-to-twc/msg184191/#msg184191

I had forgotten about that.  I wonder who will have to pay for this - the individual cable companies or TWC?  Will they be upgraded to the same technology as everyone else, or will there be another "budget model" that isn't quite as good?  And what will "not quite as good" be, exactly?  So many questions... :hmm:

Sent a email to Mediacom's Area Director of Operations asking if they were getting things in order for the new local on the 8s format, he sent back a quick reply: "The paperwork has been submitted to get the new units from Weather Channel, so we will be able to continue to provide local weather information."

I think a lot of Mediacom headends are still using the XL, so they will be having to replace a few old STARs.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2013, 01:02:40 PM »
At least they're on top of things.  My guess is some cable companies simply won't care, so that means national LDLs, local forecasts, and everything else for their viewers.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 20, 2013, 01:44:10 AM »
that brings me to a sign in page

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #146 on: October 20, 2013, 02:17:55 PM »
that brings me to a sign in page

All you have to do is register a login to the forum and it skips the survey.

Offline mightynine

• View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 21, 2013, 02:47:37 PM »
I might be seeing things wrong, but I think the new maps are already in use on the 7-Day Forecast and the Wake Up With Al touchscreen.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2013, 11:17:55 PM »
I don't think this has been addressed with the whole Weather All the Time thing, but I hope they overhaul some of these outdated 2008 graphics they're still using on certain live programming. I know it's such a minor thing, but it really bugs me that there lacks uniformity nowadays.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline WeatherStarXL

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • HD Channel #: 753
  • HD WxStar ID #: I2xD
  • SD Channel #: 42
  • SD WxStar ID #: I2Jr
« Reply #149 on: October 24, 2013, 12:41:22 PM »
Apparently the video of the new LOT8s that Martin posted a few pages back is not longer available. So for those of you who haven't made it to the "WeatherAllTheTime" page/forum to see the new LOT8s preview, here is another upload of it (thanks to Eric for pointing out that it was on YT again):
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8sUJqtZNtkk" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8sUJqtZNtkk</a>

*If the youtube video is not available for some reason, here is the direct link to the video
https://s3.amazonaws.com/visioncritical-sparq2media/Encoded/thebarometer-vcfeedback-com_82a02bf48bc94c688a1038c9a6dcfc86/0b44354b9cc94d35bb989ee8511f2e85/1379098908_TWC_Montage_v13_130909.ogg
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 01:15:08 PM by WeatherStarXL »