March 28, 2024, 09:24:23 AM

Author Topic: TWC Classics relaunch  (Read 21871 times)

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
TWC Classics relaunch
« on: October 27, 2012, 05:29:48 PM »
I would like to change the focus of TWCC from TWC nostalgia to memorable weather events. TWC would still be the primary source of content, but I'd also use other content when available. Examples of this other content would include local stations, other cable channels, and amateur footage. And if I can master Photoshop, I'd create my own maps and charts. The idea is a combination of the memorable storms area I added awhile back, as well as my timeline idea from last month. The former of which was inspired by Ray's Weather Archive, with help from my friend Alex.

The problem is that I don't know if I can do this without re-organizing the site. Here's the things I want to do. Can anyone think of a way to accomplish this without re-organizing? Thanks!

- Organize local forecast clips by playlist date, and combine them with audio clips
- Post emulated local forecasts on a regular basis
- Post news/rumors about TWC, as well as news about current major weather events
- Create a weather 101 area, where common questions about the weather are answered
- Expand memorable storms area to include those without names, and include content from local footage, my graphics, etc.
- Create a store area w/reviews and links to weather-related dvds, books, weather instruments, etc.
- Create a section of interesting local forecast screenshots
- Expand OCM screenshots to include one screenshot of each ocm every year (when possible)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 05:33:29 PM by twcclassics »
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline Nick

• View Profile
    • My Youtube Page
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 519
  • HD WxStar ID #: 28765
  • SD Channel #: 19
  • SD WxStar ID #: 25617
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: TWC Classics relaunch
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2012, 06:17:46 PM »
I might be able to help with historical weather events. I have a feeling your list will be a lot of work though...everything would have to be sortable by date.
My Classic Weather Channel on Youtube
www.youtube.com/user/hookecho80

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »
I can't say I am for this. I LOVE twc classics because I can think back at the TWC I knew in the 80s and 90s. Please don't change it!  :no: Everything on the site now would be gone. I love the classic footage from the cards of the segments to the business travel forecast slides and city backdrops, local forecast videos featuring the 3000 and 4000 and I could go on and on. Please keep it!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 10:48:07 PM by TWCC_Lightning »
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2012, 11:02:50 PM »
I can't say I am for this. I LOVE twc classics because I can think back at the TWC I knew in the 80s and 90s. Please don't change it!  :no: Everything on the site now would be gone. I love the classic footage from the cards of the segments to the business travel forecast slides and city backdrops, local forecast videos featuring the 3000 and 4000 and I could go on and on. Please keep it!
It would still be a TWC nostalgia site. It would just focus more on the storm systems, rather than being random sets of clips and pics. Adding other types of footage would make it more interesting.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
It would still be a TWC nostalgia site. It would just focus more on the storm systems, rather than being random sets of clips and pics. Adding other types of footage would make it more interesting.
You mean you would just add content about weather events and storm systems, but everything I mentioned in my previous post in this thread would go nowhere? The clips and pics would still be on there?

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 11:47:58 PM »
You mean you would just add content about weather events and storm systems, but everything I mentioned in my previous post in this thread would go nowhere? The clips and pics would still be on there?
Yes and no. I would scale back the current content to make room for the new content. So instead of having every single LF and BTF, I would only post the best/most memorable. Maybe a sitemap would help.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 06:23:28 PM »
What about the pictures of the tour of TWC's facilities? Could u keep that? I understand you can't keep everything on there just as it is and add this other stuff  to the site because the server would crash, would it not?

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 08:01:30 PM »
What about the pictures of the tour of TWC's facilities? Could u keep that? I understand you can't keep everything on there just as it is and add this other stuff  to the site because the server would crash, would it not?
Yes, it would be under "series" category in the blog.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2012, 08:10:19 PM »
Still in the planning stages, but here's the most recent site map.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2012, 03:26:19 PM »
Since some have objected to the changes, I decided to post a poll to see what others think.

http://www.twcclassics.com/blog/site-news/current-or-previous-navigation/478/
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Ice Man

• Lord of Winter
  • Embrace the chill of the longest night
    • View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21691
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2013, 03:12:32 AM »
Just saw this and tried to cast a vote, but it was closed. No idea what the poll results were, but another idea - of course a lot of this depends on if you're using a database to manage content. Why not make it possible to sort the material whichever way you like? A simple click could switch the site between media type or chronological.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2013, 10:18:40 PM »
Just saw this and tried to cast a vote, but it was closed. No idea what the poll results were, but another idea - of course a lot of this depends on if you're using a database to manage content. Why not make it possible to sort the material whichever way you like? A simple click could switch the site between media type or chronological.
The results were that after a whopping 4 votes, "by media type" was the clear winner. I noticed some bugs with the polling plugin, so I'm not sure if the lack of votes was due to a bug or a lack of interest.

Most of the site's content is currently in a database, though I'm looking to get away from that due to the infrequent, but consistent connection errors I'm seeing in my error log file. Being a web developer, I can design the site in almost any way you can imagine.

Can you expand on your idea for allowing the visitor to sort? Are you talking about two versions of the same site, with the possibility for the visitor to choose the one they prefer? One organized by media type and another by date?
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Ice Man

• Lord of Winter
  • Embrace the chill of the longest night
    • View Profile
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21691
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2013, 11:37:51 PM »
Can you expand on your idea for allowing the visitor to sort? Are you talking about two versions of the same site, with the possibility for the visitor to choose the one they prefer? One organized by media type and another by date?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm suggesting. That's why I asked about the DB, because it would make a transition to that kind of website so much easier.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2013, 01:14:12 AM »
That's not a bad idea! I'll have to explore it further. Thanks! :)
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline WxDaveM

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: MediaCom
  • SD Channel #: 26
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2013, 12:00:26 PM »
I hope that nothing changes as far as the local forecasts go, anytime I am depressed I can come here and watch those old LF and it always brings a smile to my face.  Since LF will never be as good as they were in the late 80s and early 90s, I hope that this site keeps them so I can keep coming back.

I knew that I was a TWC nut when I watched Local Forecasts instead of cartoons as a kid.