June 22, 2024, 11:29:54 PM

Author Topic: New LDL  (Read 105128 times)

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: New LDL
« Reply #345 on: April 14, 2010, 05:48:18 PM »
And an AM/PM would be nice
I think people know whether it's AM or PM... plus, the previous LDL didn't have AM/PM either.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #346 on: April 14, 2010, 05:55:08 PM »
For whatever reason, "Downtown Lansing", which is far too big for that "tab" on the bigger LDL, appears when the radar and sat/rad are displayed on the LDL. However, it displays simply "Lansing" for all other CC and forecast products.
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #347 on: April 14, 2010, 06:08:04 PM »
For whatever reason, "Downtown Lansing", which is far too big for that "tab" on the bigger LDL, appears when the radar and sat/rad are displayed on the LDL. However, it displays simply "Lansing" for all other CC and forecast products.
Guess they forgot to remove it. TWC axed all of the downtown, etc stuff.

Offline wxntrafficfan

• The official "In front of the scenes" STAR Insider
  • Ultimate Member
  • I decide what I wear; the weather does not
    • View Profile
    • My youtube channel
  • HD Channel #: 245
  • SD Channel #: 36
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22840
« Reply #348 on: April 14, 2010, 06:20:50 PM »
No, the reason I brought it up was because that wasn't happening before this morning... and it only appears for the radar and sat/rad. The temp also disappears when those two tabs are up.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:22:27 PM by wxntrafficfan »
TWC in...
Lansing: Comcast, Channel 36, STAR ID 22840
E. Lansing: Comcast, Channel 40, STAR ID 22842
Lansing Area: Broadstripe, Channel 40, STAR ID 25349
Current STAR count: 32. Be sure to see my channel for links to all the uploads!

"Until you have lived with all of them in there with you day after day, week after week, year after frikkin year... you are in no position to judge me!" -Debra Barone, Everybody Loves Raymond

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
« Reply #349 on: April 14, 2010, 06:50:07 PM »
I have noticed on 24745 that on the "alert" page of the new LDL, the city is displayed as "DTW'N MEMPHIS", while during regular cycles, simply says "MEMPHIS".

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »
No, the reason I brought it up was because that wasn't happening before this morning... and it only appears for the radar and sat/rad. The temp also disappears when those two tabs are up.
Hmm wonder if when they added the update for the clock a few things on the side changed. Shouldn't but thats still interesting.
I have noticed on 24745 that on the "alert" page of the new LDL, the city is displayed as "DTW'N MEMPHIS", while during regular cycles, simply says "MEMPHIS".
Unless thats new its leftover from when the update occurred.  Mine still does that I think

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #351 on: April 14, 2010, 10:19:18 PM »

Something must have happened with the update then. They are doing away with "downtown," "metro," etc. The forecast and current ob names will soon be very specific (for example, no more "Allegheny Valley," it will become just New Kensington; "Downtown Pittsburgh" and "Metro Pittsburgh" will become just Pittsburgh, etc).

Offline TravelCitiesFan

• Thunderstorm Lover
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27210
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #352 on: April 20, 2010, 05:55:50 PM »
Speaking of clocks what happened to the clock on the satellite LDL 

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift, that's why we call it the present - Jared Ciccarello

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 21, 2010, 01:18:23 AM »
Was it on the bottom left? Guess TWC never integrated it into the actual ldl yet. They took it off once the IS got a clock

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #354 on: April 21, 2010, 01:30:31 AM »

When the new LDL debuted, there was no clock, period.  Shortly thereafter, a clock that cycled through the four time zones was displayed on the lower-left of the screen as part of the national broadcast.  (The far left of the LDL actually isn't part of the LDL anymore, but rather is now part of the national broadcast.)  Just very recently did the Intellistar display the local time on the LDL, meaning the nationally-broadcast clock was removed.  The addition of the clock actually resulted in the shrinking and moving (slightly) of the temperature on the larger LDL.

Offline ruhgster

• First Name: Ryan
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #355 on: April 21, 2010, 07:28:10 AM »
It would be nice if the national LDL could get a clock somewhere.  I know it would look funny if they put it where it was, viewers with intellistars would see two clocks, but if they could shorten the tabs and put it there?  With the cities in alphabetical order, it's not too hard to know when the city you're looking for is coming.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 21, 2010, 11:55:40 AM »
It would be nice if the national LDL could get a clock somewhere.  I know it would look funny if they put it where it was, viewers with intellistars would see two clocks, but if they could shorten the tabs and put it there?  With the cities in alphabetical order, it's not too hard to know when the city you're looking for is coming.

Yes, if the national LDL were to have a clock, it would have to be on the tab instead of on the lower-left part of the screen.  As you said, no one wants two clocks.  :yes:

Then again, I don't believe the national feed without an LDL ever had a clock in it before, anyway, so the way things are now really aren't any different than they've ever been where the clock is concerned.  The clcok was displayed nationally, as far as I know, to accomidate the Intellistar viewers for the brief period of time when the Intellistar didn't display a clock.  As for viewers of the XL, 4000, and Jr., I think TWC is becoming less interested in supporting older systems.  And I don't disagree with that decision.  The 4000 is twenty years old this year, and, while it did its job very well at the time, TWC could hardly claim to be cutting-edge and up-to-date with technology if, for example, the majority of cable companies in the year 2010 happened to still be using this twenty-year-old technology.  The XL is already over 10 years old.  TWC is looking ahead to the HD STAR and furthering its HD programming, so attention has to be taken away from older systems.

Offline ruhgster

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 21, 2010, 12:08:27 PM »

Then again, I don't believe the national feed without an LDL ever had a clock in it before, anyway, so the way things are now really aren't any different than they've ever been where the clock is concerned.  The clcok was displayed nationally, as far as I know, to accomidate the Intellistar viewers for the brief period of time when the Intellistar didn't display a clock.

Yeah, this is completely true, however with Dish network and DirecTV, they both used a national LDL that had the time cycling through time zones, just like how the temporary national clock was.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: April 21, 2010, 04:07:01 PM »

Then again, I don't believe the national feed without an LDL ever had a clock in it before, anyway, so the way things are now really aren't any different than they've ever been where the clock is concerned.  The clcok was displayed nationally, as far as I know, to accomidate the Intellistar viewers for the brief period of time when the Intellistar didn't display a clock.

Yeah, this is completely true, however with Dish network and DirecTV, they both used a national LDL that had the time cycling through time zones, just like how the temporary national clock was.

Ah, but that national LDL wasn't exactly a part of the national feed.

Offline ruhgster

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: April 21, 2010, 04:18:06 PM »
Exactly.

The clock and LDL were not a part of the national feed, but the LDL now is a part of the national feed, but missing the clock.  I know the clock isn't really necessary, and most people probably don't care because they have plenty clocks as it is.  I don't know why I think it would be nice to have it on there, just seems like Jr./4000/XL/Sat viewers should get one if intellistar viewers get one.