April 23, 2024, 09:05:12 PM

Author Topic: How does Local on the 8s Work at TWC?  (Read 6042 times)

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
How does Local on the 8s Work at TWC?
« on: March 23, 2015, 05:52:03 PM »
I've always wondered how TWC airs the Lo8s during specified times. I've always was curious about the National LF. I know the HD graphics from 2007-2013 were from Viz, possibly even now. Does anyone know how they aired it live along with lining up the music to air on time? Really dying to know.

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: How does Local on the 8s Work at TWC?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
I've always wondered how TWC airs the Lo8s during specified times. I've always was curious about the National LF. I know the HD graphics from 2007-2013 were from Viz, possibly even now. Does anyone know how they aired it live along with lining up the music to air on time? Really dying to know.
I'm not as experienced as the other members on here, but as far as I know, TWC uses cue tones which the STAR at your headend recognizes and then airs the Local Forecast. Please, correct me if I am wrong. Another thing I find interesting is how the IntelliStar 2 HD cues the specific local forecast product it's supposed to be showing if it cues late. It's like a fail-safe that prevents the IS2HD from cueing the LF Over other programming.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 06:22:47 PM by luesjo12 »

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 07:07:27 PM »
I'm not as experienced as the other members on here, but as far as I know, TWC uses cue tones which the STAR at your headend recognizes and then airs the Local Forecast. Please, correct me if I am wrong. Another thing I find interesting is how the IntelliStar 2 HD cues the specific local forecast product it's supposed to be showing if it cues late. It's like a fail-safe that prevents the IS2HD from cueing the LF Over other programming.
I know that, but also that brings up an interesting question. How does TWC put advance graphics from Viz to a standalone star machine. For example the IS2 from 2010-2013. Along with the other question is what I'm curious about?

- For those who don't know what Viz is, it' s a software made by a company called VizRT and is composed of Viz Weather, Viz Artist, and Viz World all standalone products that work together. TWC used them with stars and on air graphics.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 07:09:06 PM by weatherfan_2013 »

Offline luesjo12

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Purveyor of Stars
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Time Warner
  • HD Channel #: 211
  • HD WxStar ID #: 35644
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 10:10:39 PM »
I know that, but also that brings up an interesting question. How does TWC put advance graphics from Viz to a standalone star machine. For example the IS2 from 2010-2013. Along with the other question is what I'm curious about?

- For those who don't know what Viz is, it' s a software made by a company called VizRT and is composed of Viz Weather, Viz Artist, and Viz World all standalone products that work together. TWC used them with stars and on air graphics.
Sorry, I misread your question. I imagine that TWC has some help with creating the Viz graphics for their STARs from VizRT and their team of software engineers. Maybe Viz has some sort of API or SDK for this kind of stuff. I do know that the IS2 project was a big operation at TWC.

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 10:41:25 PM »
So maybe TWC has a star unit for the National HD LF with a modified version of Viz to air just like the other stars on command and the music is played by another computer at specified times. That's my guess?

I wonder what software TWC uses for their music? I know they changed it back in 2010 due to the songs being repetitive.

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 02:56:55 AM »
Vizrt has been providing the graphics for the SD satellite LF since May 2011 and the HD satellite LF since September 2007. I doubt an actual STAR unit is in use for the satellite LF; it's probably an internal computer system with a custom Vizrt installation that is powering these graphics. If I had to take an educated guess, since November 2013 it's probably one system that powers both the satellite LF and the national feed LDL. It's not like the old days when you'd have a custom Weather STAR 4000 running the Travel Cities scroll.

As for when and how the current generation of the satellite LF is cued, it's very likely all automated, unlike the old WPS satellite LF days, when it appears that the satellite LF actually had to be manually cued. Back then, you'd see a relative amount of variation, maybe even a few second gap before the satellite LF would actually fade in. Now, it's a seamless transition from the Local On The 8s intro into the headlines section of the Satellite LF.

My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline weatherfan_2013

• TWC Fan 2005 - 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
Vizrt has been providing the graphics for the SD satellite LF since May 2011 and the HD satellite LF since September 2007. I doubt an actual STAR unit is in use for the satellite LF; it's probably an internal computer system with a custom Vizrt installation that is powering these graphics. If I had to take an educated guess, since November 2013 it's probably one system that powers both the satellite LF and the national feed LDL. It's not like the old days when you'd have a custom Weather STAR 4000 running the Travel Cities scroll.

As for when and how the current generation of the satellite LF is cued, it's very likely all automated, unlike the old WPS satellite LF days, when it appears that the satellite LF actually had to be manually cued. Back then, you'd see a relative amount of variation, maybe even a few second gap before the satellite LF would actually fade in. Now, it's a seamless transition from the Local On The 8s intro into the headlines section of the Satellite LF.

It's probably automated but don't know if Viz Weather has a scheduler to automatically play through playlists at designated times? Here's an interesting video at NAB 2011 where the SD satellite graphics from 2011-2013 are shown. Interestingly the video was published in April 2011.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PUKYdtiHjI