April 23, 2024, 12:00:48 PM

Author Topic: General LF Discussion  (Read 1124942 times)

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: General LF Discussion
« Reply #3300 on: July 24, 2011, 07:06:55 PM »
I just heard the IS buzzing in person for the first time! :happy:

IntelliStar Local Forecast - July 24, 2011 - Buzzing
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #3301 on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:56 PM »
Hi there :wave:,

So on my LF, there are 2 HiRad sites serving Memphis: Downtown and at the airport (about 7 miles from each other). The Downtown site is used on the CC and LDL, and the airport site is used on the metro and regional maps. Sometimes the temperature/weather is different. For instance, just now, the CC reported Mostly Cloudy skies and 84, while the metro map reported a Thunderstorm and 78.

Seeing that this could confuse some viewers, I asked about this once in the Tech Support thread, with no reply. I don't want to ask again because it seems like some people are getting ticked off about my numerous posts in that thread recently.

So, I'm asking you, would this annoy you if it were on your STAR? If so, is it worth posting another topic on?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3302 on: July 24, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
The Tampa STAR is configured that way, so i dunno. :thinking:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3303 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39:28 PM »
A 3-Day Extended Forecast? On the IntelliStar? In February 2011? Well, believe it or not, here it is.

TWC Intellistar error Florissant, MO with 3-day forecast part 1

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3304 on: July 26, 2011, 07:04:31 PM »
It looks like that Intellistar was having some problems - lots of missing data, for example, which is why it showed the non-traditional 3-day forecast.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #3305 on: July 26, 2011, 10:04:25 PM »
Don't see this happen everyday. Pic is from the New Ken headend.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #3306 on: July 27, 2011, 01:05:54 PM »
if TWC ever can't make a playlist due to money issues they should just revert to Network Music Playlists.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #3307 on: July 27, 2011, 01:30:47 PM »
if TWC ever can't make a playlist due to money issues they should just revert to Network Music Playlists.
Has nothing to do with money... the average viewer doesn't wait every first day of the month for a playlist. We should be grateful that TWC at least puts out a playlist every two months, with songs that we haven't heard in awhile.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #3308 on: July 27, 2011, 01:57:34 PM »
Has nothing to do with money... the average viewer doesn't wait every first day of the month for a playlist. We should be grateful that TWC at least puts out a playlist every two months, with songs that we haven't heard in awhile.
But why would that matter? They've been doing this for over a decade, so why would they suddenly stop putting the playlists on a monthly basis? Whether it'd be money or Picard being lazy with his job, there probably has to be a more sensible reason. In all honesty, I just think they're doing random playlists simply because they don't have enough new songs to fill a playlist in one month's time. They're being more selective with music, so it would probably make sense to go monthly only if they brought back the 35 song jazz playlists. Just look at primetime, it's all (primarily) repeats, clearly if they went back to monthlies, the primetime list would be completely composed of repeats, and probably the same for the morning list, too.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #3309 on: July 27, 2011, 02:10:27 PM »
But why would that matter? They've been doing this for over a decade, so why would they suddenly stop putting the playlists on a monthly basis?
It's been said time and time again...the average viewer doesn't care. And with viewership on a steady decline, music should be the least of their worries.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #3310 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:00 PM »
But why would that matter? They've been doing this for over a decade, so why would they suddenly stop putting the playlists on a monthly basis?
It's been said time and time again...the average viewer doesn't care. And with viewership on a steady decline, music should be the least of their worries.
If the average viewer doesn't care, then maybe they shouldn't have changed the playlists with rock music, a morning daypart and extra songs, then. Could've just left the playlists back to where they used to be..

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3311 on: July 29, 2011, 06:39:20 PM »
Reasons why the 48hr and 36hr Text-Based Local Forecast should be discontinued

1. there is no need to show example "Saturday Night" and "Sunday's" Forecast because the average viewer isn't going to sit through 2 mins and 90 seconds just for 4 text-based screens.

2. With both the 48hr and 36hr removed, more weather-related screens would show in their place.

3. the current effect of both the 48hr and 36hr allow for longer text to be shown which means longer narration and a dragged on boring local forecast, if TWC only showed the 24hr they could just show what is going to occur in a day's span instead of an erroneous 2 days the 48hr and 36hr show.

it's just basic common sense to limit the Text to 24hr if the next day is already shown on the 7 day Forecast.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 06:41:44 PM by gt1racer »

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3312 on: July 29, 2011, 07:04:13 PM »
I disagree.  The text-based local forecast can provide much more information than can be provided on regional/metro maps or in the 7-day forecast.  On days when it's just going to be sunny and pleasant, maybe they can seem superfluous, but when any significant weather event takes place, they can prove of vital importance, conveying information that otherwise wouldn't be available.

Offline mattregozo1987

• View Profile
    • www.weather.com
  • HD Channel #: 772
  • SD Channel #: 72
  • SD WxStar ID #: 24585
« Reply #3313 on: July 29, 2011, 07:09:52 PM »
Notice last time during the Winter Season, when visiting weather.com/multimedia, and if you click on any Midwest City such as Flint, MI, notice the Vocal Local narration doesn't say the temperatures that say zero degree or temperatures below zero on the Current Conditions video page. He says "Currently the temperature is..." then skipped to the sky conditions when temperature reaches 0 or below.
I'm a weatherman. I love my weather. I would love to go any trips if the weather is nicer.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3314 on: July 29, 2011, 07:11:16 PM »
but when any significant weather event takes place, they can prove of vital importance, conveying information that otherwise wouldn't be available.

with the current Statement feature being added to the Star's the Text-Based forecast in the 36hr and 48hr format would no longer be needed.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 07:12:47 PM by gt1racer »