Present - The Weather Channel 2000 > Local Forecast

Classic LF Questions

(1/4) > >>

Dylan:
Here's a topic I came up with where we can talk about anything classic LF related (at this point, we can consider 2000s classics, maybe even the early 2010s), and I'm going to start with this. On this video from Wednesday, July 3, 2002 https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=2002-07-03-papa-was-a-rolling-stone, what in the world was going on? Obviously, the WeatherSTAR XL cued its LF way earlier than it should have, but did master control really cut "Paul Emmick" off to air an LF 3 minutes early, and then cue another one with the XL running the station ID over the Satellite LF 40 seconds later, or did the XL just run the LF over programming, and the music was edited in? Also, they actually played "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" by "The Temptations" with vocals at the tale end of the LF back then? I only remember ever hearing them play that with the song edited in a way to keep the vocals out. The only vocal I remember hearing during that era was "witchoowa", which is no where to be found anywhere, unless no such song really exists, and I was just dreaming.

techknight:
I guess this is where the generational divide is going to start showing its prevalence.

To me, 2010 is NOT even close to being "classic" Classic to me is from the birth up until around 2005 or so.

Some newer generations could argue classic is anything from the 2013 rebrand and before. Then what happens with another rebrand? hmm...

But, I have been a TWC watcher since the early days, as I am almost as old as TWC is. So I look at it from a completely different perspective. But, for me, anything past 2005, its all a blur as I grew out of it for awhile. So I tend to stick to TWC as it was in my childhood. Thats where the generational divide shows up.

Dylan:
Maybe 2010 is a stretch, but I think we can at least call pre-August 2005 classic, if not pre-June 2008 (when the whole HD thing came out, besides the national version of Local on the 8s seen on the HD channel), or maybe because I'm younger than some of you, I would consider an era classic that most of you wouldn't, anyway, as I pointed out, something was seriously up with master control that morning, furthermore, I've never seen any Station ID tag up longer than 5 seconds before, regardless if the STAR cued it at the proper time or not. Definitely one of the most interesting clips I've run across.

twcclassics:
I'm sure what happened in the video I posted was a technical glitch. They happened every now and then. As far as the "classic" years go, it's whatever your experiences were. For me, it's 1982-1999. My interest began to wane around 1996, went down further in 2000, and basically went off the map in 2005.

WeatherSTARIII:

It's been awhile since I was last here.  :(

Anyways, when I saw the video, I thought at first it was a VHS time-shift edit (you know, whenever you record something at the time of the original broadcast, and then hit either Pause or Stop on the VCR and wait a few minutes or hours, or even the next day or two with the tape still in the VCR, and then hit record again at a later time). Maybe TWC had a little bit of technical problems at the time of the broadcast perhaps?

As for my personal interest of TWC, I do agree that 2005 may have likely been the "turning point" in TWC's history since that was when they first began using the updated logo for the first time as well as the beginning of "Bringing Weather To Life" on air campaign and the debut of the "Storm Alert" theme during Hurricane Katrina out of all hurricanes. I still used to enjoy watching TWC even after the previous on air overhauls back in the late '90s and early to mid-2000s. June 2008 (the HD launch) was when things started to really go south and November 2013 was the beginning of the "channel drift" age of TWC with fewer and fewer live weather coverage even on a slow weather-related news day.

I still enjoy watching the storm coverage on TWC to this very day (even though they only seem to care about storm coverage more than they do on regular weather days), but when the documentaries and reality shows comes on, I always change the channel.

This August will mark the 15th anniversary of the logo change and "Bringing Weather To Life" era after all.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version