March 28, 2024, 06:54:41 AM

Author Topic: Classic LF Questions  (Read 12345 times)

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 735
  • SD Channel #: 97
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23531
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Classic LF Questions
« on: May 08, 2020, 12:30:48 AM »
Here's a topic I came up with where we can talk about anything classic LF related (at this point, we can consider 2000s classics, maybe even the early 2010s), and I'm going to start with this. On this video from Wednesday, July 3, 2002 https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=2002-07-03-papa-was-a-rolling-stone, what in the world was going on? Obviously, the WeatherSTAR XL cued its LF way earlier than it should have, but did master control really cut "Paul Emmick" off to air an LF 3 minutes early, and then cue another one with the XL running the station ID over the Satellite LF 40 seconds later, or did the XL just run the LF over programming, and the music was edited in? Also, they actually played "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" by "The Temptations" with vocals at the tale end of the LF back then? I only remember ever hearing them play that with the song edited in a way to keep the vocals out. The only vocal I remember hearing during that era was "witchoowa", which is no where to be found anywhere, unless no such song really exists, and I was just dreaming.

Offline techknight

• View Profile
Re: Classic LF Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 07:37:41 AM »
I guess this is where the generational divide is going to start showing its prevalence.

To me, 2010 is NOT even close to being "classic" Classic to me is from the birth up until around 2005 or so.

Some newer generations could argue classic is anything from the 2013 rebrand and before. Then what happens with another rebrand? hmm...

But, I have been a TWC watcher since the early days, as I am almost as old as TWC is. So I look at it from a completely different perspective. But, for me, anything past 2005, its all a blur as I grew out of it for awhile. So I tend to stick to TWC as it was in my childhood. Thats where the generational divide shows up.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 07:39:29 AM by techknight »

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:12 AM »
Maybe 2010 is a stretch, but I think we can at least call pre-August 2005 classic, if not pre-June 2008 (when the whole HD thing came out, besides the national version of Local on the 8s seen on the HD channel), or maybe because I'm younger than some of you, I would consider an era classic that most of you wouldn't, anyway, as I pointed out, something was seriously up with master control that morning, furthermore, I've never seen any Station ID tag up longer than 5 seconds before, regardless if the STAR cued it at the proper time or not. Definitely one of the most interesting clips I've run across.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2020, 06:18:24 PM »
I'm sure what happened in the video I posted was a technical glitch. They happened every now and then. As far as the "classic" years go, it's whatever your experiences were. For me, it's 1982-1999. My interest began to wane around 1996, went down further in 2000, and basically went off the map in 2005.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline WeatherSTARIII

• TWC fan 1991-2005
  • Legacy STAR fan
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube channel
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 07:56:44 PM »

It's been awhile since I was last here.  :(

Anyways, when I saw the video, I thought at first it was a VHS time-shift edit (you know, whenever you record something at the time of the original broadcast, and then hit either Pause or Stop on the VCR and wait a few minutes or hours, or even the next day or two with the tape still in the VCR, and then hit record again at a later time). Maybe TWC had a little bit of technical problems at the time of the broadcast perhaps?

As for my personal interest of TWC, I do agree that 2005 may have likely been the "turning point" in TWC's history since that was when they first began using the updated logo for the first time as well as the beginning of "Bringing Weather To Life" on air campaign and the debut of the "Storm Alert" theme during Hurricane Katrina out of all hurricanes. I still used to enjoy watching TWC even after the previous on air overhauls back in the late '90s and early to mid-2000s. June 2008 (the HD launch) was when things started to really go south and November 2013 was the beginning of the "channel drift" age of TWC with fewer and fewer live weather coverage even on a slow weather-related news day.

I still enjoy watching the storm coverage on TWC to this very day (even though they only seem to care about storm coverage more than they do on regular weather days), but when the documentaries and reality shows comes on, I always change the channel.

This August will mark the 15th anniversary of the logo change and "Bringing Weather To Life" era after all.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 06:21:24 PM by WeatherSTARIII »
Classic TWC, Weatherscan, legacy WeatherSTARs, and classic Prevue/TV Guide fan.

R.I.P. Weatherscan: 1999-2022

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 10:22:23 AM »
Okay, it is coming back to me that I might have heard "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" with vocals once, but I certainly don't recall hearing that the whole month of July 2002, definitely not in August 2002, when it also played on that playlist. Though back then, I could only see TWC at my Grandma's house, as the place I lived in, didn't have cable at the time, so I only saw a few LFs a day, and certainly didn't see many 2 minute LFs as they only aired at :28 and :58 at the time when it wasn't from 2-5am et, so maybe I managed to see one 2 minute LF with "Papa Was a Rollin' Stone" ending with vocals, or maybe after the first few days, they started the practice of editing the song in a way to keep vocals out, and that the vocals playing was an oversight on their part. The clip is from WED JUL 3, 2002, so it very well could have had time to change. Also, I have a few questions regarding the narrations on the "Extended Forecast" segment on both the WeatherSTAR XL and the IntelliStar, if the narration would say for example, "On Thursday, we'll have temperatures in the low 50s.", and the condition that followed was "Partly Cloudy & Windy" or "Mostly Cloudy & Windy", it would say "with windy conditions.", but if it was "Cloudy & Windy", it would say "under cloudy skies.", but how did "Sunny & Windy" and "Mostly Sunny & Windy" work? Did they use the "with windy conditions." or the "under sunny skies."? Also, what about conditions like "AM Light Rain", "PM Light Rain", and "PM Light Snow? On the WUWA App, which has narrations for the first day conditions on the IntelliStar, there are no narrations for those 3 conditions so would they say "with light rain." and "with light snow" or "with rain in the morning.", "with rain during the afternoon and evening.", and "with snow in the morning." And one more thing, according to how the narrations are numbered on the files, and the order of certain conditions, where there should be a "PM Snow" narration, there's one that says "with snowy conditions." and one that says "with snow during the afternoon and evening." does not exist, so does that mean "PM Snow" would say "with snowy conditions.", and is that how it would work on the XL as well? There also isn't a "PM Light Snow" narration, so however the former 3 would work, "PM Light Snow" would also likely do whatever the "PM Snow" narration is, unless that would be narrated as "with light snow."

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2020, 11:52:51 PM »
Sorry for the double-posting, but I have to ask, was this video https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=hangin-out edited, or was there a glitch? I can't imagine why it said "your extended forecast." instead of "Expect a chance of rain Tuesday through Thursday, with temperatures in the 60s, on Tuesday.", with and without 2 seconds added.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2020, 06:08:07 PM »
Sorry for the double-posting, but I have to ask, was this video https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=hangin-out edited, or was there a glitch? I can't imagine why it said "your extended forecast." instead of "Expect a chance of rain Tuesday through Thursday, with temperatures in the 60s, on Tuesday.", with and without 2 seconds added.

I don't think that kind of narration was around back then.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2020, 08:26:57 PM »

I don't think that kind of narration was around back then.
Well this video from 5 months later; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsmTkj9o5nI, has the "Expect a chance of rain Tuesday through Thursday" narration in it, but they should have had all narrations for all possibilities from the day narration on the XL debuted. Now, another question, what was going on in this video? https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=st-tropez-00 Was this somehow related to the then-newly added narration back then?

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2020, 10:34:15 PM »

I’m not exactly sure when the narration for the extended forecast began on the XL. But, you would occasionally hear the generic “your extended forecast” even after it appeared. The extended forecast was only narrated when there was sufficient time, based on flavor type and the actual forecast of the next three days and the length of the narration required.

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2020, 09:20:51 AM »
I’m not exactly sure when the narration for the extended forecast began on the XL. But, you would occasionally hear the generic “your extended forecast” even after it appeared. The extended forecast was only narrated when there was sufficient time, based on flavor type and the actual forecast of the next three days and the length of the narration required.
This is off-topic, and may not fall under the classic category, but does anybody reading this (whether it'd be you, Tyler, or somebody else) have an Atlanta and/or Pittsburgh IntelliStar :08/:38 LF from March 20 through late June 2008?  Those 2 areas had a beta flavor where the traffic products were shown right after the "Current Conditions" segments, and the "Getaway Forecast" was shown at the end of the LF after "The Week Ahead" product, but I've never seen that before, so I was hoping maybe you had an LF recorded that you never posted before (at least to my knowledge), or somebody else from one of those 2 areas reading this,

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2020, 09:16:26 AM »
Does anybody recognize the music in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z50k3hEnGk I wasn't the one who posted that, but whoever this is says it played from 2004-2007, but it doesn't sound like anything I've heard, so now I'm wondering myself what song that person's playing on that video.

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2020, 07:53:07 PM »
Does anybody recognize the music in this video? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z50k3hEnGk I wasn't the one who posted that, but whoever this is says it played from 2004-2007, but it doesn't sound like anything I've heard, so now I'm wondering myself what song that person's playing on that video.

LOL. Not much to go on there.
TWC Classics Webmaster

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2020, 04:04:53 PM »
I'm going to bring this little topic of mine back to life. On the IntelliStar, what exactly was regularly enough precipitation for the "Local Radar" to show? For example, on this newly-posted video https://twcclassics.com/watch.php?file=struttin-benoit-freeman, there's barely anything in the area, and the "Local Radar" was shown, but I've seen more precipitation in an area than that (both online and in person) and the "Local Radar" was not shown. I do know that the IS 2s are different in that their "Local Radar" products will only show if there's at least a 20% chance of precipitation within the next hour, regardless if there's actually precipitation in the area or not.

Offline Dylan

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2021, 06:20:01 PM »
I'm going to bring this topic back to life again, are we 100% sure the XL received the first set of new flavors with the introduction of the "Daypart Forecast" and "The Week Ahead" products in March 2002? Because this clip from Friday, March 29, 2002 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFVy1oQJ6Lg still shows the old flavors, and I can remember years ago on Yahoo!, seeing a "New York City" XL from Saturday, March 30, 2002 on the "Regional Forecast" map with the LDL on the "HUMIDITY" and "DEW POINT" section, meaning that XL was still running the old flavors. I don't know if the missing date and time on the LFs as well as "Saturday Forecast" suddenly becoming "Friday Forecast" after the transition in is any relation or not, but have we been wrong about the first set of flavor changes coming in March 2002 all these years, or did at least 2 XLs out there miss getting the update right away?