April 27, 2024, 08:28:36 PM

Author Topic: WeatherSTAR I/II/III Unit?  (Read 9694 times)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: WeatherSTAR I/II/III Unit?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2010, 01:36:24 AM »
Here is a picture of Frank Batten posing with the WeatherStar I.. This came from an article published when he died lastyear. If you are interested in reading the article, it is a good read. Luckely I saved the link!! http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125262012515101121.html?mod=rss_US_News

Wow - time warp!  Look really closely and notice the old-fashioned modems you had to stick the telephone handset into... all because AT&T didn't want anything but AT&T telephones plugged directly into the network.  The modem bypassed that - technically, it was still the telephone that was directly connected to the network, and the modem was just the middleman between the AT&T phone-and-phone line hookup and the computer.  Then, a few years after this picture would have been taken, the government finally decided that any device can be plugged into the phone network so long as it doesn't actually harm the network.

I know... completely off topic. :)

Offline cc17926

• Administrator
  • TWC Today Curator
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: XL
Re: WeatherSTAR I/II/III Unit?
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2010, 05:44:42 AM »
Here is a picture of Frank Batten posing with the WeatherStar I.. This came from an article published when he died lastyear. If you are interested in reading the article, it is a good read. Luckely I saved the link!! http://online.wsj.com/article/SB125262012515101121.html?mod=rss_US_News

Wow - time warp!  Look really closely and notice the old-fashioned modems you had to stick the telephone handset into... all because AT&T didn't want anything but AT&T telephones plugged directly into the network.  The modem bypassed that - technically, it was still the telephone that was directly connected to the network, and the modem was just the middleman between the AT&T phone-and-phone line hookup and the computer.  Then, a few years after this picture would have been taken, the government finally decided that any device can be plugged into the phone network so long as it doesn't actually harm the network.

I know... completely off topic. :)

nice visual observation, i didn't pick up on that until you said something. the acoustic coupler, retro and classy!!