May 10, 2024, 03:08:42 PM

Author Topic: IntelliStar 2 Beta Launch  (Read 223191 times)

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: IntelliStar 2 Beta Launch
« Reply #345 on: January 31, 2011, 10:04:58 PM »
It's interesting how the IS2 has holiday names in the LF. So far, I've seen Christmas, New Year's, and MLK Day.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #346 on: February 01, 2011, 12:11:34 AM »
Baton Rouge and Lafayette are with Cox.
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #347 on: February 01, 2011, 10:03:34 AM »
It's interesting how the IS2 has holiday names in the LF. So far, I've seen Christmas, New Year's, and MLK Day.

I saw that as early as the WeatherStar III.  It depends on how the forecast is written, not from any "holiday sensor" programmed into the Star.

Offline Charismatic Applesauce

• Nice and mushy.
  • Ultimate Member
  • A tu lado.
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 270
  • SD Channel #: 30
  • SD WxStar ID #: 21813
  • WxScan Ch. #: 116
« Reply #348 on: February 01, 2011, 10:58:35 AM »

I saw that as early as the WeatherStar III.  It depends on how the forecast is written, not from any "holiday sensor" programmed into the Star.
The IS doesn't have that feature, though.
iWitness   YouTube   Twitter   Facebook
Neither rain or shine will keep a man from making an ass of himself on the news. —Anderson Cooper

Offline beanboy89

• Ultimate Member
  • Caulk the wagons and float!
    • View Profile
    • http://billy.mozfaq.org/
  • SD Channel #: 53
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22608
  • WxScan Ch. #: 101
« Reply #349 on: February 01, 2011, 12:42:43 PM »

The reason earlier STARs, like the III and 4000 had used holiday names is because that's how the NWS phrased their forecasts for holidays. When the NWS forecasts were dumped in 2002 in favor of TWC's own text-based forecasts the holiday names disappeared because TWC doesn't use holiday names in their forecasts. As for the IS2, the forecasts are likely from TWC, but probably a different source from the current IS, XL, Jr, and 4000 forecasts. If you notice, the IS2 does not omit the "F" from temperature readings like the other STARs do.
My super-awesome website!
[00:45] <SpringRubberMB> I wear a condom everywhere I go!

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #350 on: February 01, 2011, 01:18:46 PM »

The reason earlier STARs, like the III and 4000 had used holiday names is because that's how the NWS phrased their forecasts for holidays. When the NWS forecasts were dumped in 2002 in favor of TWC's own text-based forecasts the holiday names disappeared because TWC doesn't use holiday names in their forecasts. As for the IS2, the forecasts are likely from TWC, but probably a different source from the current IS, XL, Jr, and 4000 forecasts. If you notice, the IS2 does not omit the "F" from temperature readings like the other STARs do.

The "F" after the temperatures doesn't look good. Either there should be a degree symbol in between the temperature and "F" or it should be removed all together.

As for the holidays, I think it is cool that the IS2 has them on the text forecasts but think they should only be used for major holidays (like MLK day or President's Day probably isn't as necessary as Christmas or Independence Day).

phw115wvwx

« Reply #351 on: February 01, 2011, 05:02:23 PM »
The "F" after the temperatures doesn't look good. Either there should be a degree symbol in between the temperature and "F" or it should be removed all together.
There always should be degree and Fahrenheit symbols for temperature.  I hope that's at least done on the IS2 someday, or we'll have some fun from people visiting us and thinking it's Celsius.  Furthermore, a F by itself on a value can mean "falling" like with barometric pressure.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2011, 05:08:42 PM by phw115wvwx »

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 01, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
we'll have some fun from people visiting us and thinking it's Celsius.

I don't think so, considering there's only a rather narrow range of temperatures that would allow for that kind of confusion, and even then, only on a day without precipitation!  Anything warmer than 40°F would be unbearable in Celsius, if not impossible to live in.

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 01, 2011, 05:14:26 PM »
Anything warmer than 40°F would be unbearable in Celsius, if not impossible to live in.
Im sorry, but i dont understand what you mean.. if you mean 40° centigrade instead of 40° farenheit i can understand.. if its unbearable at 40°F then how do i survive? :P the average monthly temp for all 12 months down here will always be above 40°F
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

phw115wvwx

« Reply #354 on: February 01, 2011, 05:15:43 PM »
I don't think so, considering there's only a rather narrow range of temperatures that would allow for that kind of confusion, and even then, only on a day without precipitation!  Anything warmer than 40°F would be unbearable in Celsius, if not impossible to live in.
You're right.  It's just a technical point because I just hope the IS2 incorporates as much accuracy into it as possible.  Tons of people see a LF from TWC everyday.  I even hear about it from phone calls at work!

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 01, 2011, 06:16:50 PM »
Anything warmer than 40°F would be unbearable in Celsius, if not impossible to live in.
Im sorry, but i dont understand what you mean.. if you mean 40° centigrade instead of 40° farenheit i can understand.. if its unbearable at 40°F then how do i survive? :P the average monthly temp for all 12 months down here will always be above 40°F

If people see only "40°" written on the screen and aren't sure what the temperature scale is... they should.  My point is that 40°C is quite hot (104°F), and so any higher number would indicate a major heat wave.

Offline KevOwensby

• View Profile
    • YouTube
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 2002
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31755
  • SD Channel #: 2
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22909
  • WxScan Ch. #: 270
  • WxScan ID #: 31067
« Reply #356 on: February 02, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »
Has anyone else started getting local ad scrolls on the IS2 yet? They just started today here.
On the topic of holiday names, the forecast doesn't always get read during the LOT8's when it's a holiday. MLK day forecast never got read out loud at all.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 02, 2011, 10:03:57 PM »
On the topic of holiday names, the forecast doesn't always get read during the LOT8's when it's a holiday. MLK day forecast never got read out loud at all.

They probably didn't record the holiday names, and so when the page came up, there wasn't any vocal to start it with, so nothing got read.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 02, 2011, 10:13:34 PM »

They probably didn't record the holiday names, and so when the page came up, there wasn't any vocal to start it with, so nothing got read.

Yeah. That's kind of a problem. They should have either recorded the holiday names or not use them at all because the forecast should always be read for consistency.

On a second note, I would be interested in seeing a video with an ad crawl on the IS2. I'm assuming it's just a bunch of words scrolling at the bottom of the screen, but does it look like an LDL, or not? :unsure:

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #359 on: February 02, 2011, 10:15:15 PM »

The holidays are recorded and are supposed to be read. MLKD not being read was an error.