May 03, 2024, 10:10:33 PM

Author Topic: Tropical Storm Franklin  (Read 3961 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Tropical Depression Six
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2011, 01:20:17 PM »
Why do names need to be rationed?! :blink:

It is beginning to feel like the NHC is just naming storms just to validate their forecast, but I'm not going to get into a debate over this matter. Ironically, Franklin from 2005 took a similar path OTS, but it formed much further south near the Bahamas.

I still don't get this!  A tropical storm is a tropical storm, period.  It meets certain characteristics and guidelines.  One of the rules is that it gets a name.  The NHC isn't creating tropical cyclones out of whole cloth, and I see no evidence that it's chomping at the bit to use as many names as possible.

What I'm trying to say is I think it was borderline to be more than a TD that's all. There's no reason to take what I said so personally, I wasn't trying to offend you or anyone else that was offended by my statement. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think or you think it's the NHC's call.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

Re: Tropical Storm Franklin
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 01:36:02 PM »
Again, I know NHC will be more aggressive with borderline storms due to a policy change from some new people there who do not want to get caught off guard with an unnamed system, which apparently happened years ago.  Another forecaster even confirmed this thought with me.  There are really only two fair ways to solve this situation:  leave everything as it is, or raise the level of naming to just hurricanes only.  Since there have been some memorable tropical storms, I don't think anything will change.

Tropical Storm Franklin now has winds of 45 mph, but it probably only has 24 hours or so left to be considered tropical.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2011, 03:18:10 PM »
What I'm trying to say is I think it was borderline to be more than a TD that's all. There's no reason to take what I said so personally, I wasn't trying to offend you or anyone else that was offended by my statement. At the end of the day it doesn't matter what I think or you think it's the NHC's call.

39 mph (33 knots) is what it takes for a system to be classified as a tropical storm, and, therefore, receive a name.

Do you think the NHC is fudging wind speeds upwards a little for the sake of giving a storm a name?

Do you think the criteria for a tropical storm should be changed to 45 or even 50 mph?

What is the problem you have with small storms of 40 mph in the middle of the ocean receiving a name?  Really, what is the problem?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2011, 03:35:30 PM »

39 mph (33 knots) is what it takes for a system to be classified as a tropical storm, and, therefore, receive a name.

Do you think the NHC is fudging wind speeds upwards a little for the sake of giving a storm a name?

Do you think the criteria for a tropical storm should be changed to 45 or even 50 mph?

What is the problem you have with small storms of 40 mph in the middle of the ocean receiving a name?  Really, what is the problem?

What is the problem of you not knowing when to let minor things like this go and just "agree to disagree"? You got all upset with me and Patrick over this same thing when Cindy came about. I've made my point and you've made yours. I know the criteria for tropical storms so you don't have to make me feel like I'm some kind of an idiot.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:39:44 PM by StuckonStoop-id »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2011, 08:37:29 PM »
Woah, woah, guys. Settle down already. What's done is done. NHC named the cyclone Franklin and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Franklin is back down to a 40 mph tropical storm and is streaking off to the ENE. It should become post-tropical in the next 24-36 hours at most, if not sooner.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2011, 11:13:16 PM »
Woah, woah, guys. Settle down already. What's done is done. NHC named the cyclone Franklin and there's nothing any of us can do about it.

Franklin is back down to a 40 mph tropical storm and is streaking off to the ENE. It should become post-tropical in the next 24-36 hours at most, if not sooner.

As of the 11pm advisory it is post tropical.

NintenGamers Nation