April 18, 2024, 09:29:59 AM

Author Topic: Hurricane Isaac  (Read 22473 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: Hurricane Isaac
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2012, 05:08:12 PM »
Patrick, we live in a country of complacency. It doesn't matter if you issue Hurricane Warnings and warn people door to door 5 days out some people are gonna stay regardless, some are reasonable, others are just downright ridiculous and pure stubbornness as to why they ride out storms. The NHC and the media have to find a way to work together to educate folks who are ignorant to how tropical cyclones work and that they're can be unusual circumstances to certain tropical cyclones in their strength/size. Personally I think they need to get rid of the Saffir-Simpson scale and make up a scale that mainly focuses on storm surge/flooding. I don't know exactly how it should be done, but there needs to be more emphasis on those two things rather than wind.

In a way, Louisiana got spared FAR WORSE than what could have came to futon. Had those flight level winds over 110kts had of completely made it down to the surface before Isaac made landfall, there's not doubt Isaac would have been a major hurricane (Cat 3./weak Cat 4.). It's large size and the fact that it had started running out of time over water kept that from happening. Last night, I heard the Plaquemines Parish President say this about Isaac. "No one is convincing me this was a Category 1. The damage I am seeing today is worse than Katrina". Technically he's half right because of the low barometric pressure being more eqivalent of a Cat. 3 ., but that statement from him should be a wake up call to how a large Cat 1. hurricane can cause as much if not even more havoc as a small/medium sized Cat 3. or higher. Prior to that when he was being interviewed by Crystal Egger/Chris Warren, he mentioned that the water was only about 2 feet from overflowing the levees there and yet he actually believed they would be ok and it would recede because of low tide...Seriously? :huh:

When Mike Seidel was covering Isaac in Cuba he mentioned how in their government, if they told you to evacuate there was no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You were FORCED to leave on your own or they would bring a bus to pick you up and take you to safer ground because they want to limit the amount of deaths to near 0 as they can possibly do. Here, you either leave or the hell with you which is sad, it should be mandatory in a mandatory evacuation that people like the elderly for example should be provided transportation so they can leave.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2012, 05:46:07 PM »
I agree that the Saffir-Simpson Scale is limited in usefulness.  It was created in 1971 to communicate the threat of tropical cyclones in an easy way that the public could understand, but we've learned way more about tropical cyclones since that time.  Flooding and storm surge make up 90% of all hurricane deaths, but people get caught up on the winds so much that they neglect this crucial fact.  The reality is that every landfall of a tropical cyclone is unique due to size, structure, movement, atmospheric conditions aloft, sea surface temperatures, winds, coastline geography, and so much more.  I could imagine creating four separate risk scales for flooding, storm surge, tornadoes, and winds.  Unfortunately, they would all be highly subjective as you wouldn't know what to put as low, medium, or high risk due to all the complex factors I mentioned above.  Thus, you can't quantify the risk of any landfall in one nice scale with any reliability.

Ultimately, education is the best way to deal with this problem rather than creating risk scales.  The public's lack of caring about weather and not wanting to understand its complexity has to be changed dramatically, or we'll continue to see deaths due to people not knowing what to do in warnings.  The media and the NHC have been trying to educate the public for years.  There are tons of books, pamphlets, and shows that teach you about the weather.  The NWS local offices issue warnings that tell you the threats and provide call-to-action statements that tell you what to do, but it's clear that many people still don't read them.  If people aren't willing to learn, then there's sadly nothing we can do other than use Cuba's tactic of brute force.

Anyway, Isaac has been downgraded to a tropical storm with winds of 70 mph, but it's going to be another long night in New Orleans.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2012, 06:59:37 PM »
When Mike Seidel was covering Isaac in Cuba he mentioned how in their government, if they told you to evacuate there was no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You were FORCED to leave on your own or they would bring a bus to pick you up and take you to safer ground because they want to limit the amount of deaths to near 0 as they can possibly do. Here, you either leave or the hell with you which is sad, it should be mandatory in a mandatory evacuation that people like the elderly for example should be provided transportation so they can leave.

As a guy who believes in natural selection, I am okay with this. Let the people who want to stay risk their lives while everyone else wisely gets out of town. Sorry if this sounds cruel.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 30, 2012, 09:03:48 AM »

As a guy who believes in natural selection, I am okay with this. Let the people who want to stay risk their lives while everyone else wisely gets out of town. Sorry if this sounds cruel.

It doesn't sound cruel for the people who have a form of transportation to leave and choose to stay, but I can't feel that way about the people who do want to leave, but might not have a way/means of doing so. :no:

Last night I heard Jim mention something interesting pertaining to our "I" storms. He said IF Isaac is retired next year, it will be the last male "I" storm from the original list of male "I" storms when they began giving hurricanes common human names. :o

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
Hernando, MS is now reporting Windy with Rain courtesy of the outermost bands of Isaac.

I'm about 3 miles North of Hernando, and all I am seeing is some sprinkles with very gusty winds.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:02 PM »
Jim Cantore doing what Jim Cantore does best! Is there no reason why I don't admire this man? :happy:

Jim Cantore Demonstrates The Power of Isaac's Wind

Jim Doing Push Ups in Hurricane Isaac! :P :lol:
Jim Cantore Getting A Quick Work Out In During Hurricane Isaac
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 07:39:23 PM by WxSTAR4000FTW »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #126 on: September 02, 2012, 09:00:04 PM »
The remnants of Isaac are still going and in fact producing some severe weather/possibly isolated tornadoes. In fact, last night I recieved about 0.7" of rain from a shower/band in association with Isaac's remnants.

Low level flow on the southeast quadrant of the low is still exceeding 30 knots, further aiding in a small tornado/wind potential through at least the overnight hours in parts of KY, TN, northern AL, and areas nearby.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #127 on: September 04, 2012, 01:09:10 AM »
It looks like the remnants of Isaac are finally opening up from a closed circulation into just a normal wave of low pressure.  It certainly has caused a lot of rain and severe weather for the past several days.

Offline TWCmatthew

• Avid TWC Fan 2000-2011
  • Ultimate Member
  • Trained Weather Spotter for NWS Detroit/Pontiac
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Page
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • SD Channel #: 35
  • SD WxStar ID #: 23527
« Reply #128 on: September 05, 2012, 04:52:19 PM »
The remnant low pressure that was once Isaac drifted back southward and is now over the northern Gulf. It has a 40% chance of redevelopment.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #129 on: September 05, 2012, 05:21:26 PM »
The remnant low pressure that was once Isaac drifted back southward and is now over the northern Gulf. It has a 40% chance of redevelopment.
NHC has already determined that this new low pressure system that broke off from the remnants of Isaac will not be relabeled the same name.  It has to be the exact remnant to get the same name back.  The main low with Isaac stayed north, while this one developed and went southward.  See NHC's Facebook page for a full explanation.  Thus, if anything forms, do not post it here as it's going to be considered a new system.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #130 on: September 05, 2012, 06:41:48 PM »
Fall River, MA ended up getting 2-4" of Rain from the remnants of Issac

Offline Pop Light Brown

• Ultimate Member
  • Bonjour!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • SD WxStar ID #: n/a
  • WxScan Ch. #: n/a
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2012, 10:08:09 PM »
For those who are interested, here is NWS New Orleans' preliminary post-storm report on Issac.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/LIX/PSHLIX
See also #23622, Ch. 31, Hammond, La.