May 05, 2024, 01:34:41 PM

Author Topic: Hurricane Central 2010  (Read 13435 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: Hurricane Central 2010
« Reply #75 on: November 21, 2010, 05:50:33 PM »
It's looking like we're just about done for this season.  Nothing has really formed since Tomas dissipated.  A full summary will be provided if we reach December 1 with no changes.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #76 on: November 21, 2010, 06:36:31 PM »
Looks like my since-banished poll was accurate.  :biggrin:

phw115wvwx

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2010, 03:33:41 PM »
As promised, here is my full summary now that the hurricane season is long over.  Some of the information I gathered from various sources like NHC, AccuWeather, and Wikipedia will really surprise you:

The predictions of La Niņa creating an extremely active Atlantic hurricane season all came true.  Amazingly, not one single hurricane made landfall over the United States this season.  Just two tropical storms directly struck the coastline, Bonnie and Hermine.  Since 1900, there had never been a season that featured at least 10 hurricanes where zero of them made landfall over the United States until this one.  Stop and think about that factoid for a moment, and realize that we're going to pay in the coming years for being so lucky.  In terms of activity, I'm expecting all indicators to place this season in the top five.

2010 Atlantic Hurricane Season:

19 Tropical Storms (tied for 3rd most with 1887 and 1995)
12 Hurricanes (tied for 2nd most with 1887 and 1969)
5 Major Hurricanes

Meanwhile, La Niņa made conditions very unfavorable over the Eastern Pacific, and new records were established for lack of activity this season.  The last storm dissipated on September 23, which set a new record for the earliest date ever that this basin had ended any activity during a season.  It also set new record lows for the number of tropical storms and hurricanes.  It just amazes me how negatively correlated the Eastern Pacific is to the Atlantic.  When one is very active, the other is practically dead quiet.

2010 Eastern Pacific Hurricane Season:

7 Tropical Storms (fewest ever recorded)
3 Hurricanes (fewest ever recorded)
2 Major Hurricanes

Feel free to comment or ask questions about anything before we shut down this topic for good!  B)

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2010, 03:48:35 PM »
Nice, very detailed! This was a very active and interesting season although we dodged almost all of them, which caused this to make the record books. I was also amazed at how large Igor became (the largest recorded in Atlantic basin). Is this being shut down 1/1/11?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 03:50:24 PM by Mike M »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2010, 06:42:07 PM »
Nice, very detailed! This was a very active and interesting season although we dodged almost all of them, which caused this to make the record books. I was also amazed at how large Igor became (the largest recorded in Atlantic basin). Is this being shut down 1/1/11?
Thanks, Mike!  That date sounds about right, but Martin and I will also consider the activity of this thread before closing it down.

Update:  It's been months since anyone has touched this thread, so I've locked it for good.  See you next season!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 11:05:09 PM by phw115wvwx »