April 25, 2024, 07:19:52 AM

Author Topic: 2011 Hurricane Season Outlook Released  (Read 9632 times)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: 2011 Hurricane Season Outlook Released
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 12:21:52 AM »
We're actually getting better over the past decades at detecting, forecasting, and warning areas that will be impacted by a tropical cyclone as it happens.  Just keep monitoring the tropics, and follow the NHC forecasts and advisories as it's their job to protect lives and property. The bottom line is that you assume full responsibility to be prepared for a hurricane no matter what if you live along the coast.
Exactly

weatherlover94

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 11:52:31 AM »
According to one of Dr Jeff Masters blog there is a small possibility that La Ninia  could be completely dissipated by summer. With the small possibility of El Ninio setting in by fall....Only 2 computer models showed that at the time.I dont know what has changed since then

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 02:15:06 PM »
According to one of Dr Jeff Masters blog there is a small possibility that La Ninia  could be completely dissipated by summer. With the small possibility of El Ninio setting in by fall....Only 2 computer models showed that at the time.I dont know what has changed since then
La Nina is beginning to weaken as the SST's are slowly increasing and the Climate Prediction Center's models (most of them) are trending toward a transition from La Nina to ENSO neutral conditions by summer.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 02:24:26 PM »
La Nina is beginning to weaken as the SST's are slowly increasing and the Climate Prediction Center's models (most of them) are trending toward a transition from La Nina to ENSO neutral conditions by summer.

Thank God, I hope we'll start shifting into a wetter pattern this Spring. Were already in a Level 1 drought, I don't want it to get worse.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »

Thank God, I hope we'll start shifting into a wetter pattern this Spring. Were already in a Level 1 drought, I don't want it to get worse.
Well, my experience has been that when La Nina is in a weakening phase during the spring, we tend to have an active severe weather season. This was the case during the La Nina springs of 1989, 2000 and 2008.
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2011, 06:09:25 PM »

Well, my experience has been that when La Nina is in a weakening phase during the spring, we tend to have an active severe weather season. This was the case during the La Nina springs of 1989, 2000 and 2008.

I can certainly testify to 2008 being VERY active. It's not often you get hit by a strong EF2 tornado and barely miss getting hit again the following day. The most active period imo was from February to May. I have never been under so many Tornado Warnings, Severe Thunderstorm Warnings, and FLash Flood Warnings, a couple of times all at once in my entire life. February 2009 started off on a similar pace, but the following months weren't as bad except April 2009.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA