April 20, 2024, 07:00:12 AM

Author Topic: Weather Station  (Read 4953 times)

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Weather Station
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
What brand would give accurate readings and a quick to real time refresh rate?

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
Re: Weather Station
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 10:44:06 PM »
Most weather station brands are good and accurate. I use LaCrosse Technology and it works like a beauty.

But it's your personal preference.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 10:50:25 PM »
LaCrosse, Scientific Oregon, and Davis are probably the best options.  If I ever have my own house someday, I'll be getting a Davis as it has the faster update times and is more accurate.  Here's a website to explore all weather stations that exist and buy whatever you wish:  http://www.ambientweather.com/

I'll give you one big piece of advice:  Setup and siting of the instruments is paramount to have a functioning station with quality weather data.  If you don't set everything up correctly and put the sensors where they should be located (thermometer needs good air flow, rain gauge cannot be shadowed by taller objects nearby, anemometer needs to be above all obstructions, etc.), your data will be useless no matter what station you get.

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 05:09:16 PM »
LaCrosse, Scientific Oregon, and Davis are probably the best options.  If I ever have my own house someday, I'll be getting a Davis as it has the faster update times and is more accurate.  Here's a website to explore all weather stations that exist and buy whatever you wish:  http://www.ambientweather.com/

I'll give you one big piece of advice:  Setup and siting of the instruments is paramount to have a functioning station with quality weather data.  If you don't set everything up correctly and put the sensors where they should be located (thermometer needs good air flow, rain gauge cannot be shadowed by taller objects nearby, anemometer needs to be above all obstructions, etc.), your data will be useless no matter what station you get.

I have a TWC/LaCrosse station and I'm pleased except for the wind reading.  It has never read past 30. :angry:  While having 40-50mph winds this past Friday.  LaCrosse is out for me.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 05:43:59 PM »
Are you sure you have the anemometer in the right place? Make sure it's above all objects like what phw115wvwx said.
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 05:50:36 PM »
Which TWC LaCrosse model do you have? coincidentally, my weather station is a La Crosse with TWC logo on it and its wind anemometer isnt all that great :no:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
I have a LaCrosse model that I really like, but I surprisingly can't find the model on their website. :blink:  So it's possible it was discontinued (I only bought it a year or so ago).  It does NOT have an anemometer.

However, the model I have now is my second model.  The first one I had (also LaCrosse) broke for some reason; I think the batteries corroded.  That model has also been discontinued, but it did have an anemometer that was never, ever accurate for winds over 10 mph.  The placement near the house was probably a bad idea, but we didn't really have any place high up to put it.

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
Are you sure you have the anemometer in the right place? Make sure it's above all objects like what phw115wvwx said.
It's on a five foot pole on top of the house.   :blink:

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:20:41 PM »
Which TWC LaCrosse model do you have? coincidentally, my weather station is a La Crosse with TWC logo on it and its wind anemometer isnt all that great :no:
WS-1611-IT

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:43 PM »
WS-1611-IT
Time to upgrade?  :thumbsup:
My Weather Station

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 03:47:10 PM »
Davis is the best system out there and one of the most trusted in the weather community. I had years ago the Lacrosse and Oregon Scientific and those systems broke within a few months of heavy weather. Davis provides you with the fastest updating sensor readings as well as the most flexibility with your data. Its expensive but worth the initial investment. Mine has been running for nearly 4 years on a salt water river and hasn't hiccuped yet. Even the batteries are still holding. I only had to replace the batteries on the fan aspirated shield once. Search around and you can find some good deals. Typical refresh times on the wind speeds are 2 seconds.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2012, 09:25:31 PM »
I have a TWC Lacrosse weather station I got back in 2009, but it doesn't work right anymore. The station can't fetch info from the outside instruments, and I've tried replacing all the batteries, using a different cable, cleaning/securing the objects, etc. I have everything on a makeshift telephone pole-like structure I put together in my backyard since I live in a townhome association and as such I can't put anything on the roof (where I would probably put my anemometer and rain gauge at).
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 09:30:49 PM by Mike M »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:02 PM »
I hope you all realize that any TWC weather station is cheap and will perform poorly.  I've had better luck with simple Radio Shack thermometers than anything from TWC.  The bottom line is that if you really want a good weather station, you'll have to consider spending in the range of $250-$1,000.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »
I hope you all realize that any TWC weather station is cheap and will perform poorly.  I've had better luck with simple Radio Shack thermometers than anything from TWC.  The bottom line is that if you really want a good weather station, you'll have to consider spending in the range of $250-$1,000.
Well I realized it now, the hard way.  :itsok:

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 12:55:55 AM »

Does TWC actually make the weather station?  If so, it's interesting that you can find them on the LaCrosse website. :thinking: