March 28, 2024, 08:30:42 AM

Author Topic: Super Outbreak 2011 2 Yr Anniversary Approaching  (Read 2102 times)

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Super Outbreak 2011 2 Yr Anniversary Approaching
« on: April 23, 2013, 05:11:31 PM »
It occurred from April 25th- 28th with the overwhelming majoring of activity on the 27th. I remember that event like yesterday, CNN and TWC had me glued in with their coverage. Seeing that monstrous tornado tear right through downtown Tuscaloosa is an image I won't forget. I was watching the news stream from ABC 33/40 when James Spann was reporting.

What are the prospects of an event like this happening again within the next 10 years?

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
Re: Super Outbreak 2011 2 Yr Anniversary Approaching
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
Hard to say. Definitely not this year - it's been painfully quiet. Still no High Risk day and it is almost May.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »
Hard to say. Definitely not this year - it's been painfully quiet. Still no High Risk day and it is almost May.
Luck may run out. May is the peak month for tornadoes nationwide. A change in pattern is bound to happen since we've been in this cold one for so long, weather changes and if/when the arctic oscellation changes from negetive to positive, that means warmer temperatures, and fewer cold blasts. Warmer temps mean more moisture and instability. I know that's what the tornado hunt team is hoping for, but none of us hope for the tornadoes that happened across the south 2 years ago today.

To remember April 27, 2011, here is a video of the Tuscaloosa, Alabama high end EF4 tornado with James Spann's coverage.

ABC 33/40 Coverage of the April 27, 2011 Outbreak (5:00 to 5:15 pm)
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2013, 06:15:47 PM »
It occurred from April 25th- 28th with the overwhelming majoring of activity on the 27th. I remember that event like yesterday, CNN and TWC had me glued in with their coverage. Seeing that monstrous tornado tear right through downtown Tuscaloosa is an image I won't forget. I was watching the news stream from ABC 33/40 when James Spann was reporting.

What are the prospects of an event like this happening again within the next 10 years?
Odds are not in favor of it. This was a once-in-a-generation type tornado outbreak, the previous was April 3-4, 1974, also called a "Super Outbreak".
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg