April 25, 2024, 10:48:14 AM

Author Topic: Storms in Arkansas  (Read 2118 times)

Offline tenkitsune

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 31
  • WxScan Ch. #: 30
  • WxStar Version: Junior
Storms in Arkansas
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:39 PM »
We had some pretty bad storms last night. My boyfriend and I were hanging around in town, but I was keeping in touch with the family, watching out for the weather. I was in Russellville outside of the Picwood Theater when the tornado sirens went off, so I think they let us in early because of that.

When I left the theater (by the way, How to Train Your Dragon was a cute movie) I decided not to go straight home. My Grandma wasn't answering her phone (landline), and my dad's phone rang once and sent me straight to voice mail (cellphone). I knew they were in the storm cellar.

There was a radar indicated tornado in the Nimrod area, which is close to my "second home", Plainview, so we went to iHop. No damage was reported in that area.

It was thought at first that 3 people died in the storms, but they are now reporting one fatality and 23 injuries. Thank God.

There is a whole slew of damage reports from Arkansas. Someone reported hail for the Russellville area.

If you're interested, here's a link to the info from KARK4: http://arkansasmatters.com/content/news/fulltext?cid=310712
**<(-_-<) *~I love TWC~* (>-_-)>**
Follow me: tenkitsune
Tumblr Me: TUMBLRING TENKITSUNE

phw115wvwx

Re: Storms in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
I'm glad the earlier report of 3 deaths has been reduced to just one now, but it may not be over yet for you and your state.  Sadly, you're in another high risk by SPC the rest of today with more severe weather likely ahead, including the risk of strong tornadoes developing.  You were in a high risk yesterday as well, so this outbreak is very serious.  I hope you and everyone else in AR are still staying safe!

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:05:44 PM »
I heard last night was really bad. I'm glad you were able to make it out ok. Great to hear there's only one death. So we'll see what happens. Glad you're okay, though!

And there's more storms heading your way... high risk is out again today.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline tenkitsune

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:10:11 PM »
Yeah, I'll be staying at home in Plainview today, so I'll be alright. MY boyfriend will be in Little Rock for his class for a few hours, so I'll be keeping my eye out there, as well.

I'm very concerned about everyone else around the state, too. All those people who got hit last night could get hit again today.

Offline tenkitsune

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 05:18:48 PM »
According to TWC, the western part of the state is in the clear as far as a high threat of tornadoes goes, but I don't think that totally rules out the possibility of a tornado in our neck of the woods. I'm super-worried about those in east central Arkansas.

*Edit*

Southern Arkansas and Louisiana, too.

I dunno, we might not be in the clear. Looks too close for me to tell. Still keeping an eye out, just in case.

*Edit again*

Tornado watch was just extended to our area. Easy come, easy go.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 08:00:10 PM by tenkitsune »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 12:51:47 AM »
For anyone wondering, here are the SPC storm reports from April 30 and May 1 that show the scope of this severe weather outbreak.  Arkansas certainly took a lot of hits these past two days.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/100430_rpts.html
http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/100501_rpts.html