March 28, 2024, 01:17:14 PM

Author Topic: Ask The Weather Expert!  (Read 28612 times)

Offline lfmusiclover

• Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1990-1999
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Ask The Weather Expert!
« on: February 18, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
Got a weather question? Ask our very own meteorologist, Patrick! He is our newest member, he has a Master's degree, and has graciously allowed us to start this thread. So if you've got a question, he's got an answer!

Also, I know that Kyle (wxmancanada) and Chuck also have degrees and expertise in weather, so if either of you would like to interject your knowledge, feel free!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 01:32:18 PM by lfmusiclover »

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
Re: Ask The Weather Expert!
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 03:14:13 PM »
This isnt really weather related but related to meteorology.  I am about to enter my senior year of high school. What classes should I take to better prepare myself if I want to enter the field of meteorology?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 01:51:14 AM by Martin »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 03:32:02 PM »
Hi, Martin!  Meteorology is a heavy application of mathematics and physics.  So, I would strongly urge you to take some form of a calculus class to prep yourself for college calculus courses.  If you're not up to the calculus level yet, finish off any remaining math subjects that you haven't completed such as algebra II and trigonometry.  I would also take physics as that will introduce you to simple concepts and laws of motion that you'll need to know before advancing into more difficult subjects in college.  If your school doesn't offer physics, then try a chemistry class as there are a few relevant applications to the weather.  I had to take one semester of chemistry, two semesters of physics, and four semesters of calculus just to meet the requirements!  Anything that you can do now before college to build up your base of knowledge in these subjects is a big plus. ;)  Good luck, and remember that even when it gets stressful from these classes during college, your passion about the weather is what will help you prevail! B)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2009, 01:30:00 AM »
Thank you so much for that information!!! It difficult to get straight answers on subjects like this. Thankfully I only require two courses to get my advanced diploma next year so it gives me the option to take the classes that will best help me in the future. I will defiantly peruse A.P Physics and A.P Calculus next school year. Thanks for the useful information and support! :happy:

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2009, 02:16:15 PM »
As much as I want to be a weather forecaster, I can never get myself into an AP or even a Level 2 course. I've never even taken algebra 1 yet since it's not available in my appropriate level. Hopefully I'll end up taking it and other important math courses before I graduate in two years.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:21:01 PM by Mike M »

phw115wvwx

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2009, 03:23:08 PM »
Mike, you don't have to worry.  Just focus on getting your background in math and science established while you're in high school.  You can start calculus and/or physics at the college level, but you just need to get your basics solidified before you start.  If you ever run into any trouble with major concepts, don't hesitate to ask! ;)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 03:37:32 PM by phw115wvwx »

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2009, 03:49:12 PM »
I hate math...but I want to be a met at the same time rofl

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2009, 03:55:58 PM »
I too want to be a meteorologist, but my question is this: I know Meteorology covers almost every field of science, but is it necessary to take as many science classes as I can? (for example, I'm currently taking Astronomy)
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2009, 04:28:40 PM »
To Victor:  I'm aware that math is the one big deterrent for many wanting to enter this field, but if you start taking Meteorology classes in college, you'll soon learn how important math is to describing the weather.  My best advice is this:  As you take each math class, think about how the subjects you're learning could directly be applied to the weather.  I can help you here if needed as I found that many students would get excited when they see how certain math principles could help them understand the weather in ways they never realized before.

To Ana:  Chemistry and Physics are the two main sciences that Meteorology covers, so you should definitely pursue these classes first.  The only two other sciences I can think of that could be helpful are Astronomy and Earth Sciences.  Since you already got Astronomy now, plan the rest of your schedule with these thoughts and the requirements of your high school in mind.  You'll never take Biology again after high school, so that's something to look forward to! :lol:

Good luck to both of you! B)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 04:45:50 PM by phw115wvwx »

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 06:01:42 PM »
Well, here's a little correction, I'm in college now.
Well, I guess I was thinking pretty clearly when choosing Astronomy for my spring semester in college. I'm looking forward to Earth and Space Science in the summer session. Patrick, I appreciate your meteorological advice!
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 06:08:26 PM »
Would A.P Environmental Science be a good course to take as well?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 06:19:04 PM »
To Ana:  Oops!  Sorry about that.  I couldn't tell from your age on your profile whether you were a senior in high school or a freshman in college.  You're all set.

To Martin:  It's an okay choice, but I'd rank it behind Calculus and Physics.  Do you like learning about environmental issues such as global warming, the ozone hole, and pollution?  If you do and already have Calculus and Physics lined up, then go ahead.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2009, 06:38:54 PM »
To Martin:  It's an okay choice, but I'd rank it behind Calculus and Physics.  Do you like learning about environmental issues such as global warming, the ozone hole, and pollution?  If you do and already have Calculus and Physics lined up, then go ahead.
Yea I only need two courses next year to get my advanced diploma so with those courses Im also taking A.P Calculus and A.P Physics. So I have about 4 slots to fill. Just getting some ideas. B) Environmental issues aren't top of my list in my mind but if its at all helpful I may take it for the heck of it.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2009, 06:55:34 PM »
To Ana:  Oops!  Sorry about that.  I couldn't tell from your age on your profile whether you were a senior in high school or a freshman in college.  You're all set.
That's allright. It happens to me all the time.
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.

Offline twcfan68

• Fan of TWC 1998-2012
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 1014
  • SD Channel #: 14
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 08:40:13 AM »
Wow, Hi Patrick! I would like to ask you a question. Do you believe that global warming may be the cause of stronger, more frequent tropical storms and hurricanes? Because many meteorologists hypothesize that warmer ocean waters could be a cause of this, and I was wondering if you also believed that.