March 28, 2024, 07:48:30 PM

Author Topic: WN is WORSE than TWC!  (Read 4758 times)

Offline jrhtwc

• View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 9348
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
WN is WORSE than TWC!
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:31:20 AM »
At least in Milwaukee it is.  We only got 3 hours of WN yesterday. The rest was all paid programming.  They were doing paid programming from 9 to 5 but took over the early morning yesterday and doing the same thing today! Is this a WN problem,  or a station problem? WN is not connected with a local news station in Milwaukee.  Maybe they should? It seems WIWN is the black sheep in the family.  It's not helping my trust toward WN. This was supposed to replace TWC????  Is WN 100% problem free on DTV? I wonder every time we have a problem in Milwaukee.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
Re: WN is WORSE than TWC!
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 12:25:26 PM »
At least in Milwaukee it is.  We only got 3 hours of WN yesterday. The rest was all paid programming.  They were doing paid programming from 9 to 5 but took over the early morning yesterday and doing the same thing today! Is this a WN problem,  or a station problem? WN is not connected with a local news station in Milwaukee.  Maybe they should? It seems WIWN is the black sheep in the family.  It's not helping my trust toward WN. This was supposed to replace TWC????  Is WN 100% problem free on DTV? I wonder every time we have a problem in Milwaukee.

The station that airs WN's programming has, for whatever reason, chosen to air only 3 hours of WN and 21 hours of paid programming.  Infomercials are pure profit for stations, so if it's a choice between weather programming from a never-heard-of station or infomercials, they're probably going to go with the infomercials.

Look at the network Ion, for example.  Last time I checked (which admittedly wasn't particularly recently), most of their affiliates aired only the nationally-scheduled programming provided by the network, and the whole rest of the broadcast day was nothing but infomercials.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 03:50:42 PM »
WN here in the Atlanta area is a similar story. Sometimes it goes as far as having way outdated local forecasts from our local NBC affiliate (who owns and operates the station iirc) It's the same cable (now also over the air) channel a decade ago was NBC Weather Plus.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline twcclassics

• Classic TWC Expert
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWC Classics
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • HD Channel #: 362
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 03:59:17 PM »
I'll have to check it tonight. There weren't any infomercials the last time I watched.
TWC Classics Webmaster
https://twcclassics.com

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »
I thought WeatherNation was independently owned and operated?  I didn't realize other stations (e.g. an NBC affiliate) were responsible for managing it. :blink:

From what I remember hearing, WeatherNation was usually put on a 3-hour loop (that's one of the pieces of information TWC used to bash WN during the DirecTV dispute).  Since WN on DirecTV can't be affiliated with any local company (at least, I wouldn't think it could be), I wonder if the DirecTV "version" of WN is the only one which shows 24-hour weather coverage, albeit on loops at times.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 10:11:47 PM »
Look at the network Ion, for example.  Last time I checked (which admittedly wasn't particularly recently), most of their affiliates aired only the nationally-scheduled programming provided by the network, and the whole rest of the broadcast day was nothing but infomercials.
They've gotten a little better in recent years. I remember during the PAX TV days where the only programming aired from about 5pm until 3am give or take, with infomercials the rest of the day. Also I had no idea they had affiliates. They don't produce any local programming here on Ion, I know that.

I thought WeatherNation was independently owned and operated?  I didn't realize other stations (e.g. an NBC affiliate) were responsible for managing it. :blink:
The affiliates don't manage the network. Many have just started carrying it on a subchannel, although apparently some don't broadcast the channel 24/7 as OP implies. We still don't have WN here, and I'm not counting on it anytime soon since almost all our affiliates are O&O by the affiliated networks.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:15:34 PM by Mike M »

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 12:34:43 AM »
We still don't have WeatherNation here in Dallas/Fort Worth either. Even if we do, it'll probably be carried on digital cable as WFAA-TV still as the Local AccuWeather Channel on 8.2.

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 12:10:30 PM »
WeatherNation, right? Because the last time I watched WeatherNation was when I visited my sister in San Diego. I think it was fantastic and I was able to get the weather UNLIKE TWC playing longform programming in the meantime. I honestly think it's a localized thing since I never had any problems with paid programming unless things have changed over time. 
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 10:38:56 PM »
I talked to several people who have left WN of their own accord over the past year who have confirmed this. They have lost their original mindset at the network.