April 18, 2024, 08:04:20 AM

Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 11403 times)

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • HD Channel #: 214
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Windows 10
« on: July 30, 2015, 11:29:27 PM »
Anyone got this yet?  What are some things, I should do before installing this?

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:06:11 PM »
I upgraded my computers yesterday.  It was very easy, didn't take nearly as much time as I expected, and everything went smoothly.  Just click on the Windows 10 icon on your taskbar and select "upgrade."

All my files and programs were kept, though, just in case, I made backups before I started.  I did my computers one at a time, and during one of the upgrades I briefly lost power - just enough to lose my internet connection for a few minutes - and the computer had no problem waiting and picking up where it left off.

The best news - my primary computer is five years old and was starting to get pretty sluggish with Windows 7.  It works so much faster with Windows 10!

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
It's automatically downloading on my desktop right now. It's only at 5% so it's gonna be a while before I can actually begin the "upgrade" progress.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 10:26:55 PM »
It's automatically downloading on my desktop right now. It's only at 5% so it's gonna be a while before I can actually begin the "upgrade" progress.

Fortunately, it usually doesn't take terribly long.

It's four hours later, so it must certainly be done by now.  How do you like it?

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 12:37:35 PM »
I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on Wednesday and seem to be (based on articles, reviews, etc.) one of the few people who doesn't like it.  My computer actually seems slower since the upgrade.  Apps and programs load very slowly for me.  This really doesn't feel like much of an upgrade either, as if it's more Windows 8.2 than a whole new operating system.

And the supposedly fast Microsoft Edge?  So far it takes longer to load a webpage than Internet Explorer!  Definitely not impressed so far and hoping some bugs can be worked out in the future.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 06:55:06 PM »
I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on Wednesday and seem to be (based on articles, reviews, etc.) one of the few people who doesn't like it.  My computer actually seems slower since the upgrade.  Apps and programs load very slowly for me.  This really doesn't feel like much of an upgrade either, as if it's more Windows 8.2 than a whole new operating system.
I'm obliged to ask, did you do a clean install? Since this helped when I upgraded to 8.1 as opposed to 8 as I had the same issue.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 12:06:12 AM »
I'm obliged to ask, did you do a clean install? Since this helped when I upgraded to 8.1 as opposed to 8 as I had the same issue.

No, I did not do a clean install - I simply did the OS upgrade.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 11:46:30 PM »
My laptop has Windows 7, and I have the W10 free upgrade icon on my taskbar. I thought about upgrading for some time, but due to personal reasons I'm choosing not to upgrade at this time. :no: Besides, Windows 7 is running much faster for me than it did just over a month ago. I had AVG AntiVirus which slowed my computer down to almost at a standstill, but afterwards I uninstalled the program and replaced it with SuperAntiSpyware. Since then my computer has been running at normal speed with almost no slowdowns. :yes:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 02:16:29 AM »
I'm not sure if it's been announced yet when Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7.  But that time will certainly come.  The free upgrade to Windows 10 is only available for a year, and I'd personally much rather upgrade to something that's going to be supported for a while (actually, since Microsoft now plans on continuous upgrades instead of entire new releases, it's going to be for a long while) than stick with something that's going to become obsolete sooner rather than later.

There are still a LOT of people who use Windows XP.  Yes, it was a great operating system, but its time has come.  Its moment in the sun is over.  It is no longer supported.  But people still use it, though entirely at their own risk at this point.  I wonder how many people are aware about that last part.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 03:42:41 PM »

Fortunately, it usually doesn't take terribly long.

It's four hours later, so it must certainly be done by now.  How do you like it?

To answer your question, I wouldn't know. After about 4 frustratingly failed attempts, I'm about ready to cancel the W10 upgrade reservation

I think my issues may be similar to what's being discussed in this article. I tried this so called "fix" with the registry files and only screwed things up worse, so worse my PC claimed I was running a fake Windows 7, so I had to do a System Restore to last Wednesday to fix that screw up.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-cumulative-update-causes-reboot-loop-havoc-for-some-users/

The downloading process of Windows 10 goes smoothly, it's when it gets to the installation portion that the process becomes a nightmare. All my files get copied over successfully, there's no issues with the drivers, but when it gets to the last step of the settings/customization, it gets up to about 70% complete, then I get a light blue error screen saying Windows 10 can't be installed and that my PC will reboot. Once it reboots, it says it will try to recover/continue off with the Windows 10 installation, but of course it doesn't and then it says it's going to restore my previous version of Windows 7. Because of it restoring Windows 7, that means Windows 10 has to re-download from 0% all over again. :wall:

EDIT: I think I'm going to do a clean install of Windows 10 instead. Hopefully it will be less trouble.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 04:20:45 PM by toxictwister00 »

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 09:26:43 PM »
Haven't got windows 10 yet.  Still waiting for notification.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2015, 06:34:29 PM »
FINALLY after 5 attempts, I've successfully upgraded to Windows 10! I really like it so far...Microsoft Edge actually does load a lot faster than Internet Explorer on W7 did.

NintenGamers Nation

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2015, 10:01:57 PM »
I upgraded from Windows 8 to Windows 10 on Wednesday and seem to be (based on articles, reviews, etc.) one of the few people who doesn't like it.  My computer actually seems slower since the upgrade.  Apps and programs load very slowly for me. This really doesn't feel like much of an upgrade either, as if it's more Windows 8.2 than a whole new operating system.

And the supposedly fast Microsoft Edge?  So far it takes longer to load a webpage than Internet Explorer!  Definitely not impressed so far and hoping some bugs can be worked out in the future.

Since you went the upgrade route, I would suggest using Disk Cleanup to free up excess space. That may help.
http://betanews.com/2015/08/04/clean-up-after-a-windows-10-upgrade-and-regain-loads-of-disk-space/

NintenGamers Nation

Offline Bryan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 08:06:12 PM »