July 04, 2024, 01:48:34 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1328814 times)

phw115wvwx

Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #13980 on: January 24, 2013, 01:52:51 PM »
I just finished my taxes thanks to TurboTax.  That program certainly makes it much easier to do taxes rather than by paper alone.

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #13981 on: January 24, 2013, 03:45:56 PM »
I'm very bothered and concerned by TWC choosing to have their forecast disregard our NWS office's Freezing Rain Advisory because they are going to be held responsible for purposely creating confusion among the public here if they look at the local news media outlets and hear, "Freezing Rain possible on Friday" and yet they look at TWC and all they'll see is "49 degrees and rain". Granted, confidence is low in how severe ice will be if it accumulates or whether it occurs at all, however, if TWC had any common sense they would cover their behinds and have their forecast somewhat reflect the NWS just in case it turns out worse than expected.

I know TWC isn't affiliated with the NWS like they were in the 80s, 90s, and 00s, but shouldn't they still be coordinating with them in situations like this anyway so they can prevent confusion?

EDIT: Here's a snippet of what is our NWS office's justification for the Freezing Rain Advisory and worse case scenario concerns. Hmm...I wonder if those thoughts in red ever crossed their minds at TWC.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PEACHTREE CITY GA
319 PM EST THU JAN 24 2013

.SHORT TERM /TONIGHT THROUGH FRIDAY NIGHT/...

...WINTER WEATHER POSSIBLE FRIDAY ACROSS NORTHERN AND PORTIONS OF
CENTRAL GEORGIA...

.SHORT TERM...
WITH THAT ALL BEING SAID THERE ARE A COUPLE OF THINGS THAT STILL
CONCERN ME ABOUT THIS FORECAST.
1. WE HAVE VERY LOW DEWPOINT TEMPERATURES ACROSS NORTHERN GEORGIA.
MODEL SOUNDINGS DEPICT A SHALLOW DRY LAYER AT THE SURFACE.  AS
PRECIPITATION FALLS INTO THIS LAYER...THIS LAYER COULD COOL FASTER
THAN FORECAST.  THIS PRECIPITATION MAY ALSO LEAD TO A STRENGTHEN OF
THE OVERALL CAD.  IF THIS IS THE CASE...MORE ICE COULD ACCUMULATE
THAN FORECAST...ESPECIALLY ACROSS NW GA AND METRO AREA.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 03:57:55 PM by toxictwister00 »

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #13982 on: January 24, 2013, 04:20:58 PM »
That's why I don't even bother with TWC anymore. Ever since they've stopped coordinating with the NWS, their forecasts are inaccurate.  And sometimes TWC tries to be too accurate (True-point ****) and fails completely. The NWS, which I find more accurate, is overshadowed by a company that doesn't give accurate forecasts anymore. During the spring, TWC over does the effect of the ocean and their high temps are off a good 3-4 degrees everyday. People pay taxes for services like the NWS and most of them don't even know it exists.

- My rant for the day  :clap:
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #13983 on: January 24, 2013, 04:33:35 PM »
I completely agree with what Craig has to say. I seriously do not understand how companies like TWC can have that much self pride in their forecasts when they are so inaccurate. How can a room of <10 people compete with the hundreds of NWS workers that make the national forecast grids? Explain to me how they can get that level of detail and accuracy into a forecast. It's simple, they can't. TWC is a joke and so are their forecasts.

Offline Metarvo

• Doesn't record TWC
    • View Profile
  • HD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13984 on: January 24, 2013, 06:06:47 PM »
A forecast low for Friday night of 31° has become a forecast low of 43° over the course of three days.  Sure, this isn't as big of a deal as an ice storm forecast that turns out to be wrong, but it's annoying nonetheless.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13985 on: January 24, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »
I wish meteorology wasn't so math intense...i'm willing to go up to maybe Calc 2 at most but Calc 4 plus physics and chemistry is insane. Might as well go with pre-med since the track is similar but you need just calc 1 LOL

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #13986 on: January 24, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »
I wish meteorology wasn't so math intense...i'm willing to go up to maybe Calc 2 at most but Calc 4 plus physics and chemistry is insane. Might as well go with pre-med since the track is similar but you need just calc 1 LOL
Well, math is the language of everything in the world and is a the only way to problem solve. If you can get through the four years of math, you'll be a lot better off. At least mets don't use those levels of math daily, now that we have computers, anyway. I'm guessing that its important to learn that level of mathematics so that you understand how everything works on a level other than just the conceptual method.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 10:27:06 PM by Donovan »

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13987 on: January 24, 2013, 10:26:41 PM »

By what I've heard, apparently Calc 1 is relatively simple, Calc 2 makes you want to die, Calc 3 seems much simpler, and then Dif Eq. tries to finish you off (at least that's how our department jokes about it). That, on top of Physics and Chemistry, can make it a numerical nightmare. Trust me though, it is so worth it.

Speaking of which, has anyone heard anything good about the Meteorology graduate program at Chicago University? I'm willing to go there for graduate studies but the price of living in the suburbs is...well, sky high.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13988 on: January 24, 2013, 10:50:37 PM »
If you don't care about being AMS certified you could do MSUs program. It's not math intensive so not as highly regarded by some but if you want to go into media its an option. You can still get NWA certified for now at least.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13989 on: January 24, 2013, 11:21:19 PM »
Well, math is the language of everything in the world and is a the only way to problem solve. If you can get through the four years of math, you'll be a lot better off. At least mets don't use those levels of math daily, now that we have computers, anyway. I'm guessing that its important to learn that level of mathematics so that you understand how everything works on a level other than just the conceptual method.
I don't hate math. I like math and am willing to work hard for it, but like most majors out there (not just meteorology but engineering, computer science, finance, etc), they are math intensive not necessarily because of the math itself but because it teaches you the logic behind in mastering the concepts, and using that logic is vital for many careers.

Also my best friend is a material sciences engineering major and told me the same thing. She's doing Calc 4 and told me Calc 2 was the worst. In Rutgers it supposedly has the highest fail rate of any math course. She failed it once along with her other friends failing maybe twice. Calc 3 was medium but interesting, Calc 4 was a lot easier and Calc 1 is either difficult or managable depending on how you approach the material. I'm retaking Calc 1 because I failed it last semester but I am taking the Economics/Business/bio Calc and not the regular calc that engineers and physical science majors take.

I like weather, I'm not exactly the most passionate weather enthusiast but after all the recent stress, I can safely say it is the only profession I can truly see myself in and the only career I'd be the most satisfied about. The severe weather aspect is by far the most fascinating part of meteorology to me and our school has a pretty decent met program. My question is in the NWS and other weather organizations where you might work, would you lose your job if you had tremendous difficulty with the math required for your field? I am willing to work hard to pursue my future its just that I am not finding any majors that deeply appeal to me besides met.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2013, 11:26:45 PM by Localonthe8s »

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13990 on: January 24, 2013, 11:34:15 PM »
I don't hate math. I like math and am willing to work hard for it, but like most majors out there (not just meteorology but engineering, computer science, finance, etc), they are math intensive not necessarily because of the math itself but because it teaches you the logic behind in mastering the concepts, and using that logic is vital for many careers.

Also my best friend is a material sciences engineering major and told me the same thing. She's doing Calc 4 and told me Calc 2 was the worst. In Rutgers it supposedly has the highest fail rate of any math course. She failed it once along with her other friends failing maybe twice. Calc 3 was medium but interesting, Calc 4 was a lot easier and Calc 1 is either difficult or managable depending on how you approach the material. I'm retaking Calc 1 because I failed it last semester but I am taking the Economics/Business/bio Calc and not the regular calc that engineers and physical science majors take.

I like weather, I'm not exactly the most passionate weather enthusiast but after all the recent stress, I can safely say it is the only profession I can truly see myself in and the only career I'd be the most satisfied about. The severe weather aspect is by far the most fascinating part of meteorology to me and our school has a pretty decent met program. My question is in the NWS and other weather organizations where you might work, would you lose your job if you had tremendous difficulty with the math required for your field? I am willing to work hard to pursue my future its just that I am not finding any majors that deeply appeal to me besides met.

I'm not sure. Most of the mathematical equations that you use in meteorology can be handled by the computer, at least with what I've learned so far. When you get into more complicated matters (thermodynamics, synoptic, physical meteorology), I'm not so sure.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #13991 on: January 24, 2013, 11:36:20 PM »

You might also consider private companies as well. I've come to the conclusion after volunteering at my local WFO, attending several meteorological conferences and talking to many in the industry that the NWS isn't for me. Nothing against those who work there but the schedule is tedious and the upper level management outside the local WFOs is a mess. I can't tell you how many people who work there have told me to avoid it. It's a big field so keep your options open.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13992 on: January 24, 2013, 11:45:00 PM »
Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have never heard of the WFO before until now.

Is working for the NWS really that stressful? I don't want to come across rude if I'm asking this.

Also for grad school would majoring in Physics undergrad and for a Meteorology Masters/PhD degree recommended? I am not making any choices solely from these options but I just wanted to hear some feedback or thoughts about this. Going to see a career counselor tomorrow morning for more discussion.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #13993 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:50 AM »
What are some examples of private sectors of meteorology?

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I have never heard of the WFO before until now.
The WFOs are the local offices that serve small regions and issue our forecasts, watches/warnings etc. i.e. ours is in Mount Holly, NJ.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13994 on: January 25, 2013, 01:35:06 PM »
We have a company here called Merridian that forecasts road conditions across much of the country - it requires precise temperature forecasts up to the tenth of a degree.

UPS has a large forecasting branch based in Kentucky (Louisville, I think) that forecasts weather conditions across the entire world for their international shipments. FedEx has the same thing.

The big, big advantage I can point to for the private sector versus the NWS is that pay is usually better and the ease of moving into higher positions is not as complicated. The downside is that if you want to issue warnings/watches...well, NWS is pretty much your only option.
Tiddlywinks.