July 02, 2024, 11:46:41 AM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1327665 times)

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #12750 on: September 27, 2011, 11:18:41 PM »
Is it me... or are schools these days are getting stricter and stricter with their policies?   :blink:

Also, hi guys. Just visiting. :P

Hi Ana! :D

To answer your question, I do think schools and getting stricter with their policies. Obviously things have happened in which these policies have to be put into place. Some of them are reasonable; for example, I can't imagine what a classroom environment would be like if no cell phone rule was put in place at the high school level. In college, it is often very distracting to see students pull out their phones to text while a professor is giving a lecture. In a smaller classroom setting in high school, I think it would be worse. This day in age has just gotten so attracted to the cell phone. I know this obviously wouldn't have been a problem a decade ago.

However, getting demerits for things like forgetting your pencil or excessive talking or sneezing (WTF?!?!), those are WAY out of line. :club:

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
« Reply #12751 on: September 27, 2011, 11:58:15 PM »
Or even having to pay the teacher to just get our phone or ipod back? That's ludicrous

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
« Reply #12752 on: September 28, 2011, 12:06:23 AM »
Or even having to pay the teacher to just get our phone or ipod back? That's ludicrous

I can't imagine how it's not outright illegal.

Yes, schools have the right to act as parent in proxy when the students are in their care, but this has strict, if not always fully defined, limits.  Holding property belonging to or otherwise in the custody of the student until money is paid can not, in my mind, be considered a right of a parent in proxy by any stretch of the imagination.  Holding it until the end of class or until a parent retrieves it - that's reasonable to avoid disruption during class time without the ultimate deprivation of ownership or use of said object.  But forcing the parent to pay any sum of money to retrieve that property - absolutely not.  The school is not a law enforcement agency and has no right of permanent confiscation.  Anything illegal item can be dealt with by calling the police, since the police have the right to confiscate property, but schools... not according to any law I'm aware of.  It's literally holding a cell phone, for example, for ransom.

Offline Eric

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12753 on: September 28, 2011, 12:11:40 AM »
Addendum:

As I mentioned earlier, many of the students I taught were under the age of 18.  While in my class, and, thus, under my care, I had the responsibility to keep them safe from harm, but, under Russian law, that was the extent of my proxy rights and responsibilities in the absence of the students' parents.  As the teacher, I had the right to require students to not use their cell phones, and the most I could do was to deprive them of the right to use it during class by having it put in a box if they absolutely couldn't control themselves, but it was returned immediately at the end of class.  If I had dared held it beyond the end of class or demanded some kind of payment for its return, I would have been arrested and charged with criminal theft of property.

I honestly can't understand how schools in the U.S. are allowed to get away with this.  Is criminal law regarding theft, or the rights of schools as parent in proxy, really that different between Russia and the United States?

Offline Anistorm

• Ultimate Member
  • I'm fabulous.
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • HD Channel #: 5367
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12754 on: September 28, 2011, 01:15:14 AM »
Honestly, schools need to be a bit more lenient to cellphones as it has impacted our society so much. Before school, during lunch, and after school are good times to use it. Even for those that have to use them in case of emergency is perfect. My high school (where I graduated from) were super duper strict with cellphones. It was borderline NO CELLPHONES ALLOWED. Since my school was an open campus, students cannot use their cellphones within 20 or so feet on campus. Which is like... a block from the school. idk. ANYWAYS, yeah, if you're caught with your cellphone, even if you're just outside the gym, they'll take it with no question and give you detention. Yeah, my high school was that strict, and I find that unfair. :( I'm not sure if this rule still exists, seeing that I graduated 3 or so years ago.

Also how the hay you pay $20 to the teacher for just breaking a stupid rule? Isn't that bribing?
hi~ I'm Anistorm.
I'm not a girl, nor a woman. I am a lady.
Member since 2008.
I like thunderstorms.
I'm a moderator at another forum, so my
activity is not as awesome as you think.
Ask for my skype, tumblr and/or twitter.

Offline Tyler

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Cable Provider: Verizon FiOS
  • HD Channel #: 619
  • SD Channel #: 119
  • SD WxStar ID #: 27542
  • WxScan Ch. #: 49
  • WxScan ID #: 27543
« Reply #12755 on: September 28, 2011, 01:57:21 AM »
Honestly, schools need to be a bit more lenient to cellphones as it has impacted our society so much. Before school, during lunch, and after school are good times to use it. Even for those that have to use them in case of emergency is perfect. My high school (where I graduated from) were super duper strict with cellphones. It was borderline NO CELLPHONES ALLOWED. Since my school was an open campus, students cannot use their cellphones within 20 or so feet on campus. Which is like... a block from the school. idk. ANYWAYS, yeah, if you're caught with your cellphone, even if you're just outside the gym, they'll take it with no question and give you detention. Yeah, my high school was that strict, and I find that unfair. :( I'm not sure if this rule still exists, seeing that I graduated 3 or so years ago.

Cell phones don't belong in school. They should be off at all times. You are there to learn.

Offline yourweathertoday

• View Profile
  • HD Channel #: N/A
  • HD WxStar ID #: -
  • SD Channel #: N/A
  • SD WxStar ID #: -
  • WxScan Ch. #: N/A
  • WxScan ID #: N/A
« Reply #12756 on: September 28, 2011, 03:01:02 AM »

Cell phones don't belong in school. They should be off at all times. You are there to learn.

Agreed. Most common vehicle/method for cheating.

Offline WeatherWitness

• Andy
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12757 on: September 28, 2011, 12:53:33 PM »
This is completely :offtopic:

Seeing Tyler post made me think of it, but according to a dream I had the other night, Tyler is a graphics designer for TWC! You'd better get to work. :P

Sorry, anyway, my opinion on cell phones is pretty much what Ana said. I think before school, after school, and during lunch are the appropriate times to use them just in case an emergency needs to be dealt with. Honestly, it would be much easier to pull out my cell phone than go to a teacher or the office and ask to use their phone. Plus, teachers were often reluctant about letting us use their phones. That was often in big, bold letters on the syllabus: DO NOT ASK TO USE THE TEACHER'S PHONE. I don't know why.

Ana, the policy at your high school sounds very strict. I can't believe even if you were outside the building that your device would be confiscated and you would get in trouble for it!!! However, my high school was not an open campus, so maybe this is why that rule seems a little extreme.

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12758 on: September 28, 2011, 10:28:25 PM »
It has officially been one year since I made the switch from DirecTV to Dish. To me, I see no difference. I do miss the LF app to some extent but the HD forecast becomes addicting to watch after a while. I still can't wait for the day until I have cable for myself, though...

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12759 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:42 PM »
Wait, dont you get DirecTV at your dorm though? :blink:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12760 on: September 28, 2011, 10:59:52 PM »
Wait, dont you get DirecTV at your dorm though? :blink:
Yeah, I do but it's not the same since I go home (and watch Dish programming there) every other week

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12761 on: September 29, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »

In my classroom, everyone but me and two others cheat. They'll blatantly ask for answers really loud and make it out like we asked them. We always get in trouble. I gave up a long, long time ago trying to get good grades because of their bullcrap.

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
« Reply #12762 on: September 29, 2011, 08:39:24 AM »

In my classroom, everyone but me and two others cheat. They'll blatantly ask for answers really loud and make it out like we asked them. We always get in trouble. I gave up a long, long time ago trying to get good grades because of their bullcrap.
That's no reason to give up on getting good grades. There is always something you can do. I had the same problem, just take the test's in that hall...

Offline Austin M.

• Founder of the SKYWARNAL Network, SKi0NiC Network Server Administrator
  • Graphical Editing + Meteorology = My life. The end
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: DirecTV
  • SD Channel #: 362
« Reply #12763 on: September 29, 2011, 05:25:16 PM »
Home from school. The same girl that always cheats was talking in the middle of the lesson about "Teen Mom," and why she likes it. Guess who gets a demerit for asking her to stop? None other than...

ME!  :biggrin:

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12764 on: September 29, 2011, 05:28:07 PM »
Austin, you asking her to stop did not help contribute to the factor that what she was doing was wrong, IMO :no:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~