July 02, 2024, 11:53:37 AM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1327679 times)

Offline wxmediafan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • SD Channel #: 57
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #14055 on: February 12, 2013, 11:55:59 AM »
I wish meteorology wasn't so math intense...i'm willing to go up to maybe Calc 2 at most but Calc 4 plus physics and chemistry is insane. Might as well go with pre-med since the track is similar but you need just calc 1 LOL
Well, math is the language of everything in the world and is a the only way to problem solve. If you can get through the four years of math, you'll be a lot better off. At least mets don't use those levels of math daily, now that we have computers, anyway. I'm guessing that its important to learn that level of mathematics so that you understand how everything works on a level other than just the conceptual method.
I don't hate math. I like math and am willing to work hard for it, but like most majors out there (not just meteorology but engineering, computer science, finance, etc), they are math intensive not necessarily because of the math itself but because it teaches you the logic behind in mastering the concepts, and using that logic is vital for many careers.

Also my best friend is a material sciences engineering major and told me the same thing. She's doing Calc 4 and told me Calc 2 was the worst. In Rutgers it supposedly has the highest fail rate of any math course. She failed it once along with her other friends failing maybe twice. Calc 3 was medium but interesting, Calc 4 was a lot easier and Calc 1 is either difficult or managable depending on how you approach the material. I'm retaking Calc 1 because I failed it last semester but I am taking the Economics/Business/bio Calc and not the regular calc that engineers and physical science majors take.

I like weather, I'm not exactly the most passionate weather enthusiast but after all the recent stress, I can safely say it is the only profession I can truly see myself in and the only career I'd be the most satisfied about. The severe weather aspect is by far the most fascinating part of meteorology to me and our school has a pretty decent met program. My question is in the NWS and other weather organizations where you might work, would you lose your job if you had tremendous difficulty with the math required for your field? I am willing to work hard to pursue my future its just that I am not finding any majors that deeply appeal to me besides met.
You might also consider private companies as well. I've come to the conclusion after volunteering at my local WFO, attending several meteorological conferences and talking to many in the industry that the NWS isn't for me. Nothing against those who work there but the schedule is tedious and the upper level management outside the local WFOs is a mess. I can't tell you how many people who work there have told me to avoid it. It's a big field so keep your options open.
Sorry that I'm replying to this a little late, but I LOVE answering this math question.  I struggled (not terribly, but enough) in math all throughout school.  In high school, when I began talking to advisers about college, told me that there is a LOT of math used in meteorology.  It was not something I wanted to hear.  I was average in math, so my freshman year of college I enrolled in basic College Algebra (ended up with a C, which discouraged me), then moved on to Trigonometry, and then moved on to Calculus 1. 

Calculus 1 was very frustrated for me.  My professor gave his lectures on POWERPOINT!  Unbelievable for a math class. Half way through the semester I was failing, so instead of failing the course, I dropped it.  I felt horrible!  How am I going to get through Calc 2, Calc 3, calculus based Physics and Differential Equations when I can barely do a freaking derivative?!  I retook Calculus 1 in the summer, and got an A.  It was all the teacher.

You just have to go in with an open mind.  I did very well in Calc 2.  Calc 3 I did poorly in, but turns out it is barely used in MET and was just a requirement for my BS sequence.  But, I can tell you that there is A LOT of math/calculus involved in upper level meteorology classes.  It is fun (in my opinion) to have this actually relate to what you are doing, and it all makes sense why you have to take all these math classes.

I really like Martin's response to your career field choice.  I know a couple people working in the NWS who LOVE their job, but say it is a very stressful one, especially with the 12-hour shifts, some over night, that you have to do.  I for one, would never want to work for an NWS office.  I've done job shadows twice, and it just seemed too boring to me.  Like Martin said, attending conferences is a great way to learn about the different types of fields you can go into with meteorology.  I have stuck with the broadcast field, but that's just me.  In fact, I just received a call from a television station interested in talking with me about an opening.  It's exciting stuff, and if you really like meteorology, you'll find a way to power through all your classes!

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
« Reply #14056 on: February 12, 2013, 02:04:40 PM »
Wow Kyle you sound just like me though I managed a B in Precalc and Algebra. I am glad you are now able to understand and enjoy math a lot more easily now.

Offline Lightning

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • www.facebook.com/brian.mearsBMeezy
  • Cable Provider: Charter
« Reply #14057 on: February 12, 2013, 06:29:01 PM »
I am having a thunderstorm at my house in 45-degree weather. :) :happy:
My Classic Weather Channel On YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOSyVIYMf6BcmbZjtYLUYBg

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14058 on: February 13, 2013, 01:40:11 AM »
Sorry that I'm replying to this a little late, but I LOVE answering this math question.  I struggled (not terribly, but enough) in math all throughout school.  In high school, when I began talking to advisers about college, told me that there is a LOT of math used in meteorology.  It was not something I wanted to hear.  I was average in math, so my freshman year of college I enrolled in basic College Algebra (ended up with a C, which discouraged me), then moved on to Trigonometry, and then moved on to Calculus 1. 

Calculus 1 was very frustrated for me.  My professor gave his lectures on POWERPOINT!  Unbelievable for a math class. Half way through the semester I was failing, so instead of failing the course, I dropped it.  I felt horrible!  How am I going to get through Calc 2, Calc 3, calculus based Physics and Differential Equations when I can barely do a freaking derivative?!  I retook Calculus 1 in the summer, and got an A.  It was all the teacher.

You just have to go in with an open mind.  I did very well in Calc 2.  Calc 3 I did poorly in, but turns out it is barely used in MET and was just a requirement for my BS sequence.  But, I can tell you that there is A LOT of math/calculus involved in upper level meteorology classes.  It is fun (in my opinion) to have this actually relate to what you are doing, and it all makes sense why you have to take all these math classes.

I really like Martin's response to your career field choice.  I know a couple people working in the NWS who LOVE their job, but say it is a very stressful one, especially with the 12-hour shifts, some over night, that you have to do.  I for one, would never want to work for an NWS office.  I've done job shadows twice, and it just seemed too boring to me.  Like Martin said, attending conferences is a great way to learn about the different types of fields you can go into with meteorology.  I have stuck with the broadcast field, but that's just me.  In fact, I just received a call from a television station interested in talking with me about an opening.  It's exciting stuff, and if you really like meteorology, you'll find a way to power through all your classes!
It really comes down to how math is taught to you.  Sometimes, you have to take a step back and reevaluate things when they aren't going well, and I'm glad you were able to succeed there.  When I hear stories from other students like you about their math struggles, it gives me a greater appreciation of the difficulty and how fortunate I was to get through it.  Surprisingly, I find Calculus 3 to be the most important math course for Meteorology after having graduate-level courses constantly referring back to Vector Calculus.  If you weren't doing broadcasting and chose the route that I took, you would see why. ;)

Lastly, while the hours can be crazy in the NWS, I'm doing a public service in a field I love.  I can take pride in knowing that when everyone is chasing some wild storm that I'm the one who is actually issuing the warnings and providing a focused approach on the forecast at the local level.  In the near future, I'm hoping to be promoted somewhere as a full-time general forecaster that will do exactly what I stated.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14059 on: February 15, 2013, 11:55:18 PM »
Has anyone noticed how NWS uses "Washington's Birthday" on their text based forecasts now instead of "Presidents' Day"? What's the deal with that?

Offline Zach

• TV Tuner Enthusiast℠
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14060 on: February 16, 2013, 05:43:19 AM »
Has anyone noticed how NWS uses "Washington's Birthday" on their text based forecasts now instead of "Presidents' Day"? What's the deal with that?
You mentioned this a year ago  :bleh:
I've gone off on a journey to be a moderator at another forum, but this place will forever remain home for me~

Offline Trevor

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14061 on: February 16, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

Here you go, from the NWS website:

Frequently Asked Questions: Washington’s Birthday

Q. Why did the National Weather Service (NWS) change its weather forecast references from Presidents Day to Washington’s Birthday in 2011?

A.  Weather forecast references were changed because the holiday is officially designated as “Washington’s Birthday” in Section 6103 (a) of Title 5 of the United States Code, which is the law that specifies holidays for Federal employees.  Although other institutions such as state and local governments and private businesses may use other names, it is NWS policy to refer to holidays by the names designated in the law.

Q. Wasn’t the holiday changed to Presidents Day when it was established by Congress to be observed on the third Monday in February?

A. No.  The effort to rename the holiday Presidents Day, intended to honor the birthdays of both Washington and Lincoln, failed in Congressional committee.  The bill, which was then signed into law on June 28, 1968, specified that the Federal holiday would retain the name Washington’s Birthday. The Uniform Monday Holiday Act of January 1, 1971, established its observance on the third Monday in February.

Q. What changes did the NWS implement to make this change?

A. The NWS changed the software on all its Internet web pages and at all local Weather Forecast Offices so that forecasts which include Washington’s Birthday will show the officially designated name for the holiday this year and into the future.

Q. Is there a link which lists Federal Holidays?

A. Yes. The link is:

http://www.opm.gov/Operating_Status_Schedules/fedhol/2011.asp

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14062 on: February 18, 2013, 01:34:39 PM »
Happy Washington's Birthday (observed)! :P  I remember answering your question last year, and Trevor just did again above.

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14063 on: February 18, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »
Happy Washington's Birthday (observed)! :P  I remember answering your question last year, and Trevor just did again above.
Yeah sorry forgot about the post i made last year lol

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #14064 on: February 19, 2013, 06:25:48 AM »
Well I took the plunge last week, and purchased an iPhone 5... It's a 16GB White iPhone 5 via Verizon Wireless.... So far, I have to say I'm happy with the improved speed and stability.....

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14065 on: February 19, 2013, 07:40:18 PM »
In case anyone is interested in seeing what blowing snow can do to an otherwise clear day in the Red River Valley, I took this video just outside of Grand Forks as we returned to Duluth. Visibility was generally under 3 miles.

Yes, I wish we had more trees.  <_<

Blowing Snow - Eastern Red River Valley
Tiddlywinks.

Offline gt1racerlHDl

• Music Playlist Uploader
  • Ultimate Member
  • Smooth Jazz Fan
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • HD Channel #: 847
  • HD WxStar ID #: N/A
  • SD Channel #: 47
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22622
  • WxScan Ch. #: 245
  • WxScan ID #: 20735
« Reply #14066 on: February 19, 2013, 08:33:17 PM »
I had to do this  :bleh:

Offline jtmal0723

• Jesse T. Maloney
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan, 1998 - present
    • View Profile
« Reply #14067 on: February 22, 2013, 04:40:31 AM »
I was admitted to the hospital Thursday afternoon for a very serious matter. I'm ok for right now, and I'm back home, but the official diagnosis has yet to be made.  :(

Offline texasstooge

• Nyuk-Nyuk-Nyuk!
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Charter
  • HD Channel #: 37
  • HD WxStar ID #: Unknown
  • SD Channel #: 037
« Reply #14068 on: February 23, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
Imagine, if you will, a private dinner with a perfect view of the sunset. Now imagine it all going to "you know where" in a handbasket because Cops with machine guns are involved. While this story has a happy ending, file this whole ordeal under "WHAT THE SERIOUS :censored:?!?!?!"

Article from ''Good Morning America''

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14069 on: February 24, 2013, 01:32:15 PM »
Recently the VCR side of my Magnavox VCR/DVD recorder combo box powers off the unit after each time I play any VHS tape I insert for about 5-10 seconds. The DVD recorder side still works okay, though  :yes:

I was wondering if anybody here might have some advice on what I should do. Keep in mind that I don't want to have to spend another $160 on a new combo box  :no:
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)