July 04, 2024, 02:31:42 PM

Author Topic: The Pot Belly Stove  (Read 1328934 times)

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
  • WxStar Version: IntelliStar
Re: The Pot Belly Stove
« Reply #14025 on: February 02, 2013, 02:56:38 PM »
FWIW, The CFSv2 for a long time kept saying January was going to be below average for the Eastern third of the country. Think back on how that turned out. Of course that doesn't mean it won't be right this time around, but considering how useless a lot of model guidance has been this Winter I don't put much faith in any of them.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14026 on: February 02, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
Happy Groundhog Day! Depending on where you live you're either predicted to see an Early Spring or 6 more weeks of Winter.

Good Old Phil says Spring is comin' early, however here in GA General Lee says Winter is here to stay the next several weeks. These two are always polar opposites. Whatever Phil says I always expect Lee to say otherwise. :P
If you are a true southerner you only trust General Beauregard Lee.   :biggrin:

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Cablevision
  • HD Channel #: 62
  • HD WxStar ID #: 31372
« Reply #14027 on: February 02, 2013, 05:04:28 PM »
FWIW, The CFSv2 for a long time kept saying January was going to be below average for the Eastern third of the country. Think back on how that turned out. Of course that doesn't mean it won't be right this time around, but considering how useless a lot of model guidance has been this Winter I don't put much faith in any of them.

The reason for that is because it thought the cold snap after Jan 20th would be strong enough to cause the positive departures from the rest of the month be negated by the negative departures caused by the cold snap. CFSv2 over did the cold snap a little. It had the first half of Jan warm, the second cold, and for the most part it was right. The CFSv2 did have a warm November until Sandy came along and changed the pattern, gave us a cooler than normal November. The CFSv2 did a superior job with March 2012 with the record breaking warmth.
Youtube.com/Theweatherchannelman <- Uploaded the most Intellistar 2 videos!
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

Offline toxictwister00

• Ultimate Member
  • Settle It In SMASH!
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Xfinity
  • HD Channel #: 832
  • SD Channel #: 32
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22204
  • WxScan Ch. #: 212
« Reply #14028 on: February 02, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

The reason for that is because it thought the cold snap after Jan 20th would be strong enough to cause the positive departures from the rest of the month be negated by the negative departures caused by the cold snap. CFSv2 over did the cold snap a little. It had the first half of Jan warm, the second cold, and for the most part it was right. The CFSv2 did have a warm November until Sandy came along and changed the pattern, gave us a cooler than normal November. The CFSv2 did a superior job with March 2012 with the record breaking warmth.

Fair enough, like I said it could end up being right about February. This winter so far has been a carbon copy of last year here anyway, horrible with just a couple of more near misses than last year so it wouldn't surprise me if February was warm.

My Video Gaming YouTube Channel
NintenGamers Nation
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAi4m_Snvp3b4Vn13_Ir3rA

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14029 on: February 02, 2013, 10:39:56 PM »
Am I the only one having a decent winter in terms of snowfall? :blink:  Everyone else here is calling it pathetic.

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14030 on: February 02, 2013, 10:43:31 PM »
Am I the only one having a decent winter in terms of snowfall? :blink:  Everyone else here is calling it pathetic.

It's not so great here, but it's better than last year. I'm having some moderate snow as I type this, 1-3" deal. If I get 1.1" out of this, I'll be at 10.0" for the season, more than double last year's entire total.
My Weather Station

Long Island, August-September 2012 tornadoes, Hurricane Sandy, Blizzard of 2013, how many places on Earth do you know can get all 3 of those events within a 6 month period?

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14031 on: February 02, 2013, 10:48:14 PM »
It's not so great here, but it's better than last year. I'm having some moderate snow as I type this, 1-3" deal. If I get 1.1" out of this, I'll be at 10.0" for the season, more than double last year's entire total.
I had 10.0" here all of last winter, which I'd argue wasn't even a winter.  You can tell from my weather post how this one is faring.  Maybe I need to set up a snow machine to blow some of my snow to a few of you all who feel left out. :P

Offline TWCCraig

• SKYWARN Spotter
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14032 on: February 02, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
I had 10.0" here all of last winter, which I'd argue wasn't even a winter.  You can tell from my weather post how this one is faring.  Maybe I need to set up a snow machine to blow some of my snow to a few of you all who feel left out. :P

Yeah, we only had 4.7" of snow last winter, which totally sucked. Not the least snowiest winter though, that'll go to the winter of 97-98, where we only had 0.9" for the entire winter. The upper level patterns really effect us here. It can be the difference from having 2 feet of snow to 2" of rain and warmth. This year is doing better, not because of large storms, but we've been having a lot of clippers, nickel and dime events giving us a couple of inches here and there.
My Weather Station

Offline Localonthe8s

• XL Icon Lover
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14033 on: February 02, 2013, 11:09:33 PM »
There's snow falling on the ground right now! :o

Offline Donovan

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
  • Cable Provider: Dish Network
  • SD Channel #: 214
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14034 on: February 03, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
There's snow falling on the ground right now! :o
Can we have some down here?  :P Enjoy it.

Offline Mr. Rainman

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14035 on: February 03, 2013, 01:58:24 AM »
North Dakota defines its winters by our temperatures (also known by the locals as the shortest amount of time between you stepping outside and getting frostbite on your nose). We don't really get much snow unless it's a clipper or a Colorado Low.

This year we hit -20 or lower quite a few times, so our winter has been considered average.
Tiddlywinks.

Offline TWCJim

• Fan of LOT8s/Wxscan, NOAA Weather Radio & the EAS
  • Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • TWCJim's STAR Database
  • Cable Provider: Other
  • WxStar Version: Satellite
« Reply #14036 on: February 05, 2013, 09:13:16 PM »
There was a magnitude 8.0 earthquake in the southwest Pacific just about an hour ago  :o  So far so good where I am as far any tsunami advisories go, but I'll have to keep a close eye on the developing situation should any watch or warning be issued for the west coast of the US  :fear:  but all in all things look okay for now  :thumbsup:

UPDATE: No Pacific-wide tsunami is expected according to the PTWC:

http://ptwc.weather.gov/ptwc/text.php?id=hawaii.TIBHWX.2013.02.06.0233

Now all I have to do is wait for the big 9.0 Cascadia quake to strike then I'll be in big trouble  :fear:  :P
« Last Edit: February 05, 2013, 10:00:03 PM by TWCJim »
TWCJim's STAR Database
TWCJim (main YouTube channel)
EASJim (second YouTube channel for my EAS and NWR videos)

Offline TWCToday

• Ultimate Member
    • View Profile
    • Norfolk Weather Station
  • Cable Provider: COX
  • HD Channel #: 724
  • HD WxStar ID #: 029745
  • SD Channel #: 24
  • SD WxStar ID #: 22568
« Reply #14037 on: February 06, 2013, 02:06:36 AM »
North Dakota defines its winters by our temperatures (also known by the locals as the shortest amount of time between you stepping outside and getting frostbite on your nose). We don't really get much snow unless it's a clipper or a Colorado Low.

This year we hit -20 or lower quite a few times, so our winter has been considered average.
Haha must be interesting to call that average :P

Offline Mike M

• Weatherscan Contributor
  • Ultimate Member
  • TWC Fan 1999-2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #14038 on: February 06, 2013, 10:07:21 PM »
We've had 5.4" as measured at the airport so far this season. It sucks, but at least we've already last winter's total snowfall of the season of 4 inches. xD So far we've had some flurries and snow showers almost every day this week which had brought a light dusting to grassy surfaces and parking lots.

phw115wvwx

« Reply #14039 on: February 07, 2013, 02:11:47 AM »
I can show you a place that has received 34.5" of snow this season if you wanted more, Mike. :P  Maybe the Northeast will catch up after this weekend.